October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Pax Renaissance - A Creativity Quest Review

More
29 Jun 2017 12:37 #250622 by Almalik
Found a copy of the expansion a week and a half ago in a tiny online UK shop's website, fingers crossed it gets here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2017 12:40 #250623 by Gary Sax
Lucky dog!

More
29 Jun 2017 13:24 - 29 Jun 2017 13:48 #250626 by Msample

Gary Sax wrote: Yeah, I'm a bit salty about not ordering it when I could.

There's a base game on the BGG marketplace:
boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/product/1209316

The expansion seems harder to find.

I'll poke around and see if anyone has seen it in an FLGS. It didn't sell out too long ago, some still may be on store shelves.

Edit: the base game is still available direct from Sierra Madre. I've bought from them direct multiple times, very reliable and postage isn't too bad considering the distance. No joy on the expansion. A couple of friends with well stocked FLGS had no luck either. Probably a long shot, but The Compleat Strategist in NYC and The Sentry Box in Calgary are two of the biggest stores I've seen in terms of selection. Their websites are total shite, so its possible they might have it in stock.

Just found this :
www.google.com/shopping/product/15878167...WCVT4KHZjQBk8Q2SsIFw

One place has it for $32.

The expansion already appears to be approaching stupid price status unfortunately.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2017 13:48 by Msample.

More
29 Jun 2017 16:32 #250632 by Not Sure

Msample wrote: Fuck BGG and their exclusive promos. I skip 'em.

Yeah, they're stupid, but I buy them for the games I really like. In this case they had the Argent promo pack and the Pax Ren five-card expansion at the same time, so I sent them a few bucks. Figure it's just insurance if I ever really need money enough to sell games off the shelf. I think I've bought three or four total over the years, because my hoarder instinct isn't that strong.

Only a very specific type of shiny will do.

More
29 Jun 2017 16:38 #250633 by Not Sure
Oh, and I'd second buying direct from Sierra Madre. Despite shipping from Germany, the rates are pretty reasonable. Most of my Sierra Madre stuff was purchased direct. It's not Amazon Prime, but it shows up.

More
29 Jun 2017 17:45 #250637 by Erik Twice
I'm very intriguied by this, but I'm not sure if it's a shelf toad in the making :/

More
29 Jun 2017 17:55 #250638 by Gary Sax
Yeah, Pax Ren base is everywhere. It's just expansion that ran out of stock, which is a bummer.

More
13 Jan 2018 16:51 #260861 by Gary Sax
Im not sure if this game is better with three players than it is with two. I put up a big post about this on Instagram but long story short Pax Ren could be a better 2 player game than 3-4. I wouldn't say that about Pax Porfiriana but in Ren some elements (bishops) make more sense with 2 and, IMHO, Pax Ren is a very good zero sum game. The real thing you miss with just 2 is the interplay between players of running the trade fairs. With 3 or more you often help others with a trade Fair to help yourself; that dynamic is much more muted with 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Not Sure, stoic

More
13 Jan 2018 17:39 #260862 by Msample
Instagram link?

More
13 Jan 2018 18:43 #260864 by Not Sure
My opinions are based on an in-progress 3p game and a few 2p and 3p solos, so I wouldn't call them firm yet.

The restrictions in this are super harsh, and it's easy to get behind the 8-ball accidentally. With the action restriction and the hand restriction, there's so little you can do sometimes that you just grind your teeth. However, if those things were relaxed I think it would snowball even more into a rich-get-richer game.

The one non-solo game seems to have very short on bishops, so I'm not sure how much different they'd be (or if we just let them go by really early on). One of the things that was definitely in play early in the game was a reluctance to run trade routes that would benefit everyone. It seems like cash was always hard to come by, but maybe it's just because we were all being stingy bastards.

I need a few more games to really get my opinions set on it. It feels swingier than Pax Porf, and I think it's down to how the trade fairs work. It's pretty hard to get paid (especially in the early game) without them, but they also cycle the cards. With purchases and trade fairs going on, you can watch almost a whole row disappear before it's your turn again. That makes it pretty hard to plan, even if the costs to buy deep are linear rather than exponential. On the plus side, it means some crazy surprises may come down the pike, but just like in Pax Porf there's nothing worse than adjusting the market at the end of your turn and seeing the card that's going to hose you pop up when you know there's no chance to defend.

I think the whole activate-declare two action victory (literally, winning requires at least half your actions for that turn) is almost a patch for the wild swings of the game, to allow your opponents to rein you back in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
13 Jan 2018 18:56 #260866 by Gary Sax

Msample wrote: Instagram link?

One post back from most recent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds