October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Saltlands: Survival is Not Enough

More
27 Aug 2017 20:39 #253233 by Shellhead

Saltlands – Sail Through the Desert! is a recently published boardgame from Antler Games for 1 to 6 players and set in a Mad Max-style future.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2017 12:36 #253234 by SuperflyPete
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
28 Aug 2017 12:47 #253236 by charlest
Thanks for the review!

I think us three are the only ones who have played it on FAT. I found it to be fine. There are interesting elements, but overall I thought it was a bit weaker than other similar games.

More
28 Aug 2017 13:53 #253240 by Shellhead

SuperflyTNT wrote: My thoughts:

www.miniaturemarket.com/reviewcorner/saltlands-review/

Your review does a better job than mine in analyzing what you did and did not like about the game. Good points about the setup and takedown being a hassle, though I found the tokens to be more work than the cards. I also agree the combat fell a little short, though what bothered me most was the attacking vehicle never takes any damage in a fight. You can partially injure raiders, if you do enough damage to wound a passenger, but not enough to take out the driver as well.

My initial reaction to the cardboard character standees was similar to yours, but I concluded that they were a necessary evil due to the potential to trade up on vehicles. And the standees are readily identifiable as specific characters, and stand out easily from the various raider vehicles, which is handy when resolving the raider AI for movement and attack.

So far, it seems like semi-cooperative mode might be the easiest way to win. With co-op mode, all the players are screwed if just one player lags too far behind to fight it with raiders. Or if that last vp card that you need is too far out of reach. In semi mode, you could just leave one or two people behind and still get a win of sorts. Or a noble player might sacrifice himself to lure the raiders away. With competitive mode, the addition of intelligent opponents on top of the big horde of raiders seem like one degree of difficulty too many.

More
29 Aug 2017 19:56 #253363 by Ancient_of_MuMu

charlest wrote: Thanks for the review!

I think us three are the only ones who have played it on FAT. I found it to be fine. There are interesting elements, but overall I thought it was a bit weaker than other similar games.

I am curious as to what titles you think are similar but better.

More
30 Aug 2017 09:38 #253399 by charlest

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

My main complaint in my review was:

The problem with Saltlands is that it comes across as somewhat mundane. At its worst, it can feel as though it lacks drama and fails to offer surprise or tension. There’s no event card system or unexpected shakeups in the environment, so it’s mostly about efficiently managing your hand and action allotment. It can feel repetitive and the inclusion of additional scenarios beyond the standard setup would have helped alleviate this.

My favorite Post Apocalyptic game is Waste Knights. That's a bit longer and heavier than Saltlands though. If I'm looking for something lighter I'd much rather play Wasteland Express Delivery Service. It just moves much quicker and is more interesting, despite having many euro elements.

If we're just talking adventure games, this doesn't come close to being as good as Merchants and Marauders or Xia either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
30 Aug 2017 13:56 #253430 by SuperflyPete

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

It's a race/survival game. Thus, Salvation Road and Hit Z Road are both better (Salvation has a similar theme). I don't think it qualifies as an adventure game really, but if a PA adventure is what you seek, Defenders of the Last Stand is the king of those with a PA setting.

More
30 Aug 2017 14:36 #253435 by charlest
All adventure games are race games. Whether it's to VP or collecting items.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718

More
30 Aug 2017 15:22 #253438 by SuperflyPete
I don't know that I agree with that. I've had games of Runebound last for a whole day! :)

More
30 Aug 2017 16:16 #253442 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote: I don't know that I agree with that. I've had games of Runebound last for a whole day! :)

Haha fine, but if you classify Saltlands as a race game as opposed to an adventure game, then you'd probably classify Merchants and Marauders and Xia as well. Wasteland Express is for sure a race game according to those standards.

More
30 Aug 2017 16:42 #253444 by Shellhead
Saltlands works like a race game (plus combat), but like an orienteering type of race where the course is discovered during the race.

More
30 Aug 2017 18:02 #253456 by SuperflyPete

charlest wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: I don't know that I agree with that. I've had games of Runebound last for a whole day! :)

Haha fine, but if you classify Saltlands as a race game as opposed to an adventure game, then you'd probably classify Merchants and Marauders and Xia as well. Wasteland Express is for sure a race game according to those standards.

Xia really does feel like a race but Merchants feels like an adventure. Same with Defenders. Saltlands really does feel like a race to get clues or something but really only superficially has an advenure feel to it.

Maybe I'm just stupid and don't know what I am talking about though. I get that a lot LOL

More
30 Aug 2017 20:06 - 30 Aug 2017 20:07 #253467 by Frohike
Off topic: they did a pretty great job with the Xia expansion(s). Pieces of it are supposedly modular but I just threw everything in without any problems. My only complaint with the game now is that I'd still like to see more tiles; we managed to explore all of them in a 10 point game.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2017 20:07 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds