October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Lady Bird - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
28 Nov 2017 16:49 #258321 by Black Barney

Wow. Where did this come from? I honestly walked into this thinking this was an early biopic of Lady Bird Johnson. Last year around this time, i cluelessly walked into Moonlight expecting something completely different as well. I think this must be the very best way to walk into a movie because this is twice that i've been totally blown away.

It's similar in some ways to last year's Edge of Seventeen except instead of just supplying the ups, this one also gets into the downs really effectively. In fact, depression is explored on many levels on how it affects those around it. There are a couple of highly impactful dramatic moments in this movie that really surprised me. One behind a cafe that I was not expecting at all. Amazing and could be this year's "Manchester" moment.

The performances are completely off the scale here. Ronan is perfect as always, but the supporting cast around her really rose to the occasion. Laurie Metcalf will make you wonder why she didn't elevate above Roseanne after all this years. Very strong performance. The father, Tracy Letts, really impressed me and made me wonder if they approached David Letterman for the role perhaps.

Honestly, the movie is just a total joy and it's worth seeing if only to see a football coach try to direct a school play. I want to rewatch that scene with the volume way up over and over and over again.

I'm having trouble accepting that this is a directorial debut. It's brilliant, and some of the shots are deeply affecting. There's so much going on in the wings of this movie too, this one shot of a disappointed theatre director looking at the reactions of people leaving.... that stuck with me and it wasn't even the focus of the scene at all.

This totally blew me away.

Heart Rating: 5 stars (it's perfect and will pull you in all sorts of directions)

Brain rating: 4.5 stars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2017 17:48 #258322 by logopolys
Loved this movie. I grew up in Sacramento a half decade before this was set and man did this movie nail it.

Lucas Hedges from Manchester was great, but Timothée Chalamet was hilarious (the bartering line was a standout).

I want this movie to drown in awards. Fantastic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Nov 2017 18:02 #258323 by Black Barney
That scene with Lucas behind the cafe... did that totally floor you? I was unprepared for something to hit that hard unexpectedly. You shift along with her, it’s amazing

The way Chalamet was filmed differently when he was a crush to later... it’s amazing that she thought of doing that.

How many movies get nominated for Best Picture now? If it’s still more than five then I think it’ll get nominated but that’s it. I don’t think it’ll win anything :(. I hope I’m wrong. I think it’s my favourite of the year so far.

More
29 Nov 2017 08:51 #258328 by Shellhead
What is this movie about? Is it a chick flick?

More
29 Nov 2017 09:01 - 29 Nov 2017 09:35 #258331 by Black Barney
It's about the writer/director's 17/18th year of life growing up in Sacramento, CA with her mom, dad, brother (and bro's g/f). Going through friends at school, getting involved in school plays, falling in and out of love, having a couple of part time jobs, applying to various colleges, losing virginity... . All of the leads are women, so I GUESS it's s chick flick but it's amazing. I grew up with my mom and sister and their interactions are pretty true to this movie.

I've been thinking a lot about it today still. It might be one of the best movies I've ever seen. I really like movies in this genre I think (like Boyhood).
Last edit: 29 Nov 2017 09:35 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
29 Nov 2017 10:14 #258333 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: I honestly walked into this thinking this was an early biopic of Lady Bird Johnson.

And yet you did so willingly and deliberately...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney

More
29 Nov 2017 11:44 #258339 by Grudunza
Can’t wait to see this. Unfortunately I have to, as it’s nowhere near me. Looks great.

Side note: I think Edge of Seventeen did get into some things that were more serious, but I can see where this is heavier (still with some levity, though).

More
29 Nov 2017 12:18 #258343 by Gregarius
I loved this one as well. Ronan was amazing at channeling Greta Gerwig, and Gerwig was amazing as writer/director.

In a lot of ways, it feels like a sort of prequel to Frances Ha, but Lady Bird is more goal-oriented.

I agree that it will get tons of nominations, but I think only Metcaff has a shot at winning.

More
29 Nov 2017 12:19 #258344 by Black Barney
yeah I thought Edge of Seventeen dealt with some serious stuff too... until I saw this. This one feels more real, even though it's even funnier at the same time. Higher highs and lower lows.

I'm dying for you to see it, Grud.

More
29 Nov 2017 16:43 #258364 by Grudunza
It's coming to a theater in town this weekend. Hurrah!

More
01 Dec 2017 19:41 #258516 by Grudunza
So I just got back. Hmm, man, it was just a'ight for me. I mean, I liked it a lot, in general. But I guess with all the hype and accolades I was expecting something more meaningful, funnier, more emotional... It had all that stuff in it, but just kind of sporadically, and felt disjointed in some ways, too. I kept waiting for something more interesting or deep to develop, thematically, but it didn't much. You mentioned Edge of Seventeen and I think for a comparable type of story, Edge of Seventeen is much better in almost every respect. Sure, Lady Bird is more real, but real life doesn't mean more interesting in this case. I thought Seventeen had a much better payoff in terms of the relationship with the mother and brother and friend. It went somewhere. Lady Bird just kind of happens and you're like, okay, sure.

Edge of Seventeen was a 9.5 for me after two watches. Lady Bird is a 7.5, and I probably won't watch it again.

More
01 Dec 2017 22:16 - 01 Dec 2017 22:18 #258521 by Black Barney
Damn those expectations

For me in Edge of Seventeen (which I loved), I only cared about the main character (and what a character it was). But in Lady Bird, I got strongly affected and in deep with the first play director, with the father, with her first boyfriend... all these sub characters had really deep stories too that I fell right into. I was just pulled all sorts of ways. A real trip for me. Lots of impact.

Also compare how both characters in both movies fall for the same type of guy (the bassist in Lady Birds case)... it felt much more real and more easily identifiable with Lady Bird. They really developed the evolution of that crash, and the fall, really well.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2017 22:18 by Black Barney.

More
02 Dec 2017 01:05 - 02 Dec 2017 10:35 #258528 by Grudunza
I disagree almost completely. Edge had better characters with more depth. In Lady Bird, they may have been more realistic, but there wasn’t much to them. Realistic is dull in reality, which is why movies elevate that. The father’s nice. The boyfriend’s distant. The mother’s a little combative. Okay, fine. Wow. Edge17 had much more interesting side characters that had more impact on her life and on the story; the mother, the brother, her best friend who hooks up with her brother, the teacher, the nervous kid in her class who she slowly connects with. Any one of those side characters were about as interesting as the main character of Lady Bird, and the main character of Edge (can’t remember her name) was 10 times more of an engaging and unique and fun character. Lady Bird (the character) is a little bit edgy and quirky, but just kind of goes through stuff with little that really defines or distinguishes her all that well. A few hours later and I don’t remember much about her character.

I wonder if it’s something about this actress and the movies she’s in, because while I find her endearing, I felt the same way about Brooklyn from two years ago; it’s fine and good and nice, but not as fantastic as the hype about it.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2017 10:35 by Grudunza.

More
02 Dec 2017 08:54 #258534 by Black Barney
I remember not liking the actress when she was in Atonement (I think she got nominated), because the performance was too perfect and squeaky clean . She won me back in Brooklyn and I liked her in this . But yeah I prefer Hailee S as well, there’s all sorts of bumps to her performances and it makes her seem more real.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds