October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Blade Runner 2049 - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
04 Dec 2017 15:22 #258617 by Black Barney

How has this movie not even made $90 million yet? Is it the length? I am so happy I didn't miss the chance to see this in theatres.

I think my biggest takeaway is how surprisingly affecting it was. I couldn't get enough of the scenes between K (Gosling) and Joi (great supporting performance by Ana de Armas). The 2nd scene in the movie felt like almost 20 minutes of just setting this up, and at the time i found it surprising to spend this much screentime on developing this sub-plot, but it sure paid dividends. It all sets up a highly impactful dramatic scene down the road that was worth the price of admission for me alone.

I loved so many levels of this movie, it was a joy to watch and to listen to. Villeneuve sure has fun using sound in his sci-fi films, and I find myself really looking forward to Dune. Also, easily the best use of CGI I have ever seen in a movie. It puts Rogue One to shame.

I much preferred this sequel to the original. There's a lot of sci-fi meat here for fans to chew through.

This had better get a cinematography nomination at the very least. i would love to see it win for that.

It certainly exceeded my expectations. Really happy I got to see it. Very powerful.

Heart rating: 4.5 stars

Brain rating: 4 stars

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fury

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2017 18:12 #258618 by Michael Barnes
Should be 5/5 stars you hateful man
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Dec 2017 18:53 #258623 by Not Sure
Huh, I thought he was rounding up.

I was very unimpressed by it. It was loud and pretty, but not much else.

I'll watch Blade Runner again (any cut, any time), but I'm not sure I'll ever watch 2049 again.

More
04 Dec 2017 19:42 #258625 by Black Barney
Very polarizing film, like the first one.

Full disclosure, I rounded up the heart rating and rounded down the brain rating.

It’s no Mad Max, which was loud and pretty and much much more. But I think this was well beyond just being beautiful and loud. Like I say in the review, I really ate up the relationship between K and Joi.

The climatic scene with the car getting hit with waves was some pretty fun filmmaking too.

Ford and Leto were a little flat for me. There’s more than enough awesome stuff in here to keep it afloat. There’s tons to talk about to which isn’t a common thing. I imagine with Last Jedi, we’ll have gone around the block after a couple weeks.

More
04 Dec 2017 22:30 #258629 by Shellhead
We kept getting different cuts of the original Blade Runner because it was flawed and somewhat fragmentary story. Blade Runner 2049 managed to surpass the original while still feeling very much part of the same setting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fury, Black Barney, Frohike

More
06 Dec 2017 22:02 #258698 by jason10mm
I dunno, it felt like a half-baked story, much like Arrival. Villeneuve isn't that interested in technical details, so maybe sci-fantasy lie Dune will fit him better. If he strill gets to make Dune....

For example, there is the thinnest of evidence that a replicant gave birth (and wasn't a human with a pelvic bone graft, a surrogate pregnancy, or just had some trauma. Based on this, Leto has his hit-girl kill police and docs all over the place. But why can't a replicant have a kid? Do they even have a uterus? Are they unable to make eggs/sperm? Was it necessary to have a human male (Deckard?) or a specially designed replicant (Deckard??) or just any male replicant (Deckard???) to conceive. If a human male can knock up a replicant woman, is the kid also a replicant? If so, how does this help Leto? Even replicants breeding true amongst themselves doesn't seem to help him with his, uh, supply problem.

More
07 Dec 2017 08:43 #258701 by Black Barney
Jason, I’d Put the entire second paragraph under spoiler tag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, aaxiom

More
16 Dec 2017 15:10 #259210 by Hex Sinister
After seeing The Last Jedi I can safely say this is the best movie I saw in 2017. I still think it's probably the best sci-fi film in a decade or more. Out of five of my friends, only one was a curmudgeon about it. Yet, he did go to see it twice, so.... Everybody else thought it was great.

More
29 Jan 2018 12:34 #262445 by Cranberries
I just read this interview with Ridley Scott:
Warning: Spoiler!

More
29 Jan 2018 14:54 #262461 by Black Barney
if i was the interviewer, i would have immediately followed that with, "yeah so The Martian was a great comedy"

More
29 Jan 2018 15:52 #262464 by charlest
This film was fucked by the academy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
29 Jan 2018 16:01 #262465 by Black Barney
Well, it's not going to get any acting nods, that's for sure.

It got cinematography which was really important. It also got sound editing and sound mixing. It got production design which is great. And of course it got visual effects.

You think it should have got a directing nom? Best picture? I would certainly have recognized it ahead of The Post, Phantom Thread or even Darkest Hour.

That's five academy award nominations, charlest. Hardly focked, no?

More
29 Jan 2018 16:25 #262466 by charlest
Best picture, specifically, is what I was referring to. Directing I think it deserved it as well, but mainly I think it was screwed not getting nominated for BP.

More
29 Jan 2018 16:28 #262467 by Black Barney
sci-fi gets little love from the Academy in general. Get Out getting nominated is huge enough.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds