October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Best Movies of 2017

More
13 Apr 2018 16:04 #267502 by Black Barney

Well, I’ve put it off far too long to get this article put together. There are still movies I want to see from 2017 but at this point, there is too much good stuff in 2018 to see so I don’t see myself catching up. So while imperfect, I think I’ve come up with a strong list of best movies for the year and I strongly encourage you to see these films if you haven’t already. Most should be easy enough to find at home now on some sort of streaming device.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2018 17:07 #267503 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Best Movies of 2017
I presume Grinding Nemo is missing because you haven't seen it yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Apr 2018 17:28 #267504 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Best Movies of 2017
The original Blade Runner also fared poorly at the box office. I think that 2049 managed to surpass the original, but then the original suffered a bit in the editing room. I think Logan should have made it into your top ten because comic book movies are so big right now and this one managed to stand far above the rest. Logan was a violent and tragic movie, so I don't know if I will watch it again, but the acting and the story were impressive.

More
13 Apr 2018 18:33 #267507 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Best Movies of 2017
That 10th place was the hardest one I’ve had to place yet. I think Logan deserves it so much and I think it’s important for it to be in there. But, honestly, I would have put Baby Driver or, more likely, Last Jedi before putting Logan I think. In the end I put the movie I was the least passionate about which is weird.

More
13 Apr 2018 19:30 #267510 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Best Movies of 2017
List is wrong.

1) Blade Runner 2049
2) Logan
3) Dunkirk
4) Shape of Water
5) Three Billboards
6) Phantom Thread
7) Annihilation
8) Last Jedi
9) Thor: Raganarok
10) War for the Planet of the Apes

Special Mention: Kong: Skull Island
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney

More
13 Apr 2018 19:41 #267512 by Black Barney
That’s a good list

More
14 Apr 2018 12:39 #267532 by Hex Sinister
Replied by Hex Sinister on topic Best Movies of 2017
The War (Apes) dvd sat on my dresser for like a month before I forced myself to watch it and I was pleasantly surprised by it. It wasn't what I expected it to be and that was actually a big plus. I think it just took to long to come out and that might have been an issue.

Though I haven't seen every movie on your list I'll still go with Blade Runner as #1 just because really good sci fi is so hard to come by. It really bummed me out that it did so poorly at the box office. I feel like that closed the doors for slightly more ambitious sci fi in the future. But you know damn well there will be more dreck like "LIFE" or "PASSENGERS" to come hoover up all those popcorn dollars. I don't understand why many people didn't like it but it's like trying to understand why some people think the Foo Fighters are good.

More
14 Apr 2018 15:04 #267542 by Santorum
Replied by Santorum on topic Best Movies of 2017
Three Billboards was a classic Martin McDonagh fillm - drama filled with dark humor, an engaging story, and one that makes you question the morality of the characters. I love them all (In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths being the previous two), and I'm glad one of his films is finally getting wide exposure. The reason you were laughing and others weren't was not everyone can appreciate the dark humor in his films; it's fairly subversive and not the Family Guy-style in-your-face stuff that appeals to the lowest common denominator. It's the same reason I find What We Do In The Shadows to be one of the funniest movies ever, and other people would rather watch an Adam Sandler movie.

Get Out was really good, but what disappointed me was the back half devolved into a basic thriller movie after such a long and fantastic set up. It became a predictable "this dude is going to somehow escape and kill everyone and Ray Ray is going to find him". Maybe that's what they were going for as a throwback to other thrillers, but after doing something so different for the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the film, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed that the ending was so predictable.

Also the fact that you gave John Wick 2 a shout out but not Thor Ragnarok makes me question everything. John Wick 2 was fine, but Thor Ragnarok was the epitome of fun throughout. The only way it could've been better was more Goldblum.

More
14 Apr 2018 15:27 - 14 Apr 2018 15:27 #267544 by Black Barney
Great post and comments. You’re not wrong about anything

I didn’t see Thor because of Logan. I just couldn’t take more superhero movies after loving what Logan was so much. Seeing the Thor mentions here, I realize I need to see it. I decided to skip it for the same reason I skipped Guardians 2. They look identical to me too.

I’ll try to see it, thanks for the recommendation Rick.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2018 15:27 by Black Barney.

More
14 Apr 2018 15:39 #267545 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Best Movies of 2017
Thor: Ragnorak is kind of a hot mess that somehow manages to be a moderately good movie. There is a lot of action and some decent comedy, but the tone is off for a movie that features the deaths of some major characters. It runs a bit long and has a few two many plot twists, but the acting and the direction manage to hold everything together to the finish line. It was better than the first two Thor movies, and I found it somewhat funnier than Guardians of the Galaxy. To be honest, I saw GofG long after most people, and it was a letdown after all the hype.

More
14 Apr 2018 18:13 #267550 by Santorum
Replied by Santorum on topic Best Movies of 2017

Black Barney wrote: Great post and comments. You’re not wrong about anything

I didn’t see Thor because of Logan. I just couldn’t take more superhero movies after loving what Logan was so much. Seeing the Thor mentions here, I realize I need to see it. I decided to skip it for the same reason I skipped Guardians 2. They look identical to me too.

I’ll try to see it, thanks for the recommendation Rick.

Thor is amazing largely because of the director... Taika Waititi. His sense of humor is all over the movie (same guy who did What We Do In The Shadows), which is why it stands out so much from the other super hero movies (and why you heard so much praise about it this year). GotG2 was easier to skip because it was "more of GotG1."

Not saying Thor deserves to be in some pantheon of greatest movies ever, but it certainly was one of the better movies of 2017 and better than John Wick 2.

More
14 Apr 2018 18:21 #267551 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Best Movies of 2017
What We Do in The Shadows is one of my favorite movies of the past 10 years, and yes, Taika’s humor is all over Raganarok. I love the spirit of the movie- it’s totally fearless, and it completely rerouted the Thor sub-franchise toward a more Flash Gordon tone. There’s a playful, spirited confidence in Raganarok that isn’t really in any other Marvel movie, and like Logan it is sort of a “next level” superhero film- almost a “silver age” approach after all the formality of what came before. Logan is the better film and Black Panther is the more important one, but Raganarok was the most fun:

More
15 Apr 2018 15:58 #267583 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Best Movies of 2017

Michael Barnes wrote: What We Do in The Shadows is one of my favorite movies of the past 10 years ...

I'm glad our strange kiwi humour didn't put you off, it was a great laugh to us with (what we thought) were quite a few local culture references.

More
18 Apr 2018 14:09 #267754 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Best Movies of 2017
Good list.
I've yet to see Call My by Your Name and Florida Project, but the latter just showed up on Amazon Prime so I will rectify that soon.

I'm surprised to see Apes in the Top Ten, but it seems as though you really had a lot of ties for the ten spot.

I agree with the others that you need to see Thor: Ragnarok. It will delight you and open your mind to how powerful a strong and unique vision can be for a superhero property, much like Logan.

More
18 Apr 2018 14:24 #267756 by Black Barney
yeah, that damn 10th spot...

The top 9 were so easy. I knew those were the top 9 for sure. i wasn't sure between the 3/4 of Florida Project and Dunkirk (that could go either way) or the 8/9 between Coco and Blade Runner 2049 (that also could go either way), but for sure those were the top 9. The 5 were also a nice jump above of the next 4. Anyway, no issues with the top 9

I then had a hell of a time with number 10. I decided to write out 5 movies on cards and place them in front of me, to see what would jump out at me emotionally, cuz I just couldn't decide. They were:

War for the Planet of the Apes
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Baby Driver
Logan
I, Tonya

It didn't take me very long to eliminate I, Tonya from that group but I couldn't eliminate anythign else. I'm staring at these stupid cards for 22 minutes or something... talking to myself out loud and I'm getting NO WHERE. My reasoning for putting War for the Planet of the Apes ended up being kind of dumb. Trying to pick Baby Driver, Logan or Star Wars over each other was super painful, i felt like I was betraying one of the other movies each time. but when I put all three of those together BEHIND War for the Planet of the Apes, i didn't feel like I was betraying any of those strong three movies cuz they were all together, none being placed above each other. So it gave me the least amount of regret and generated the least amount of emotion when I put it in the top 10 (less regret).

So i went that way.

If that doesn't make any sense, try to picture this. The one that came closest was Last Jedi. So I put it as #10 and now I feel REALLY guilty about picking Last Jedi over Logan and Baby Driver. I think it's the one I enjoyed the least of those three but I think was actually the best movie of the three. I couldn't reconcile that at all. So I put Apes cuz I'm the most "meh" on it.

i hope I don't have this problem next year. What I SHOULD have done was kept seeing 2017 movies until i finally see one that goes into the top ten and bumps Apes off the list. That would have been best. I'm not even sure I would have given Apes an honourable mention if that would have happened.

if we can fast forward a year, i feel like this might happen with A Quiet Place. A movie I loved to see but have to admit that there are significant holes in it.

this is probably not interesting to read for most, but it's fun to talk about so sorry about that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds