October 09, 2023
2496 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Hoarders - My Campaign Continues

More
19 Jun 2011 19:04 #271276 by ubarose

This is the second in a series chronicling my...

Unlike the TV show, Hoarders, I don't have an entire crew capable of clearing out my crapola in two days. Therefore, this clean-up has become more of a campaign than a one shot deal, requiring planning and logistics not unlike trying to get an RPG group together on a campaign to raid the Dragon Hoard, with the Department of Public Works as our total dick DM.

As it turns out, actually getting the crapola off our property has turned out to be more difficult than deciding to part with our "treasures." Two pages of rules governing what, when and how to dispose of stuff has resulted in one room on our third floor becoming a designated holding pen for stuff that must wait for us to obtain the proper dump permits and then wait for the appointed dumping dates for the items based upon type. Mid-July is the earliest we will be able to get rid of the three old computer monitors, and other dead electronics. The crib mattress will cost us $12 in fees to dump. Metal costs $6 a truck load and can only be brought on certain days...

The Permit Office closes at 3pm, except on Thursdays. The Dump is only open from noon to 4pm on Wed, Sat and Sun. The pick-up truck is my step-dad's so we can only use it when he isn't using it...

Despite this logistical nightmare, we were able to meet or exceed all but two of my goals for last week:

Failures:

We were only able to make one dump run instead of two.

We have not come up with an entire box of books to donate.

Success:

One box of toys and games donated.

One box of household items donated. PLUS we uncovered six chairs and several other larger items to donate.

One box of clothes donated. PLUS two more large trash bags, for a total of about 100 gallons of used clothes out of the house.

Most Difficult to Deal With:

Stuff in my long abandoned studio from my days when I worked as a designer. But once I took the first step and threw out a basket of old paint, and several yards of faded fabric it got easier. I was eventually able to fill two garbage bags with stuff, and even decided to get rid of one of the old sewing machines, although we haven't decided whether to haul it to the Goodwill or try to sell it. I did, however, decide to keep my drafting table, all my drafting tools and a portable easel, despite the fact that I know I will probably never use them again. Oh, well, can't completely reform myself in a week. I remain motivated by the fact that once the room is cleared out I will be able to put it to use again for something. It is probably one of my favorite rooms in the house, being on the third floor, with fabulous light and a quintessential New England view out the window.

Biggest Surprise:

Found a bow (no arrows). Why the hell do we have a bow?

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds