Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Five days with Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons

Five days with Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons 29 Sep 2014 00:00 #271627

by MattDP    
September 29, 2014    

At age eight I was rummaging through a book stall at an agricultural fair, and I found a book that would change my life. It was “What is Dungeons & Dragons” and it stood out like a monstrous thumb among the worthy tomes on seed rotation. If I hadn’t bought it, it’s unlikely you’d be reading this column right now.

Read more...
  • MattDP
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Shiny Balls
  • Number Of Fence
  • Thank you received: 1082
Oftentimes defeat is splendid, victory may still be shame;
Luck is good, the prize is pleasant but the glory's in the game!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, engineer Al, the_jake_1973, stoic

Five days with Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons 11 May 2018 14:22 #273160

Very cool! How old were they and have you continued playing?
  • quozl
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 197

Five days with Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons 11 May 2018 14:55 #273166

I still haven't gotten around to looking at 5th edition, partly because I am still somewhat burned out after wrapping up my 3.5 campaign a couple of years ago. And partly because I can't justify getting another edition right now. But everything that I have heard about 5th is great, especially for new players.

It's great that they re-published each of the previous major editions around the same time that 5th came out, because every major edition of D&D has some merits. AD&D (1st) had some really creative and interesting adventures. 2nd had a variety of interesting campaign settings. 3.0/3.5 was very crunchy if you like crunchy (I do) and had a very coherent structure to the massive rules set. I skipped 4th, but it appeared to be very action-oriented and featured nice miniature scale maps. 5th is apparently very smooth to run and great for new players, like the old red box Basic D&D of the early '80s. I didn't run red box Basic, but I was extremely impressed with the way the rules were organized.
  • Shellhead
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3311

Five days with Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons 11 May 2018 15:23 #273168

How timely that this shows back up- I just picked up this set for my kids- 8 and close to 7. Mom doesn’t know, but this is going to be the summer of D&D. I think they can handle it, and it’s funny you mentioned playing an in-game cleric- that is exactly what I was thinking about doing. I figure they need a Gandalf-like figure to prod them gently in the right direction.

I haven’t played 5th and haven’t really played since 3rd. It looks awesome, I really like what I am seeing. And it really shows how much the board games do resemble the system.

Very excited...I am probably going to get that Goodman Games B1/B2 reprint hardcover because it looks incredible. Hopefully we’ll be in the Borderlands by the time school starts back...
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE
  • Thank you received: 7127
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Five days with Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons 11 May 2018 15:42 #273169

My wife bought this for herself for christmas, with the reasoning that none of boys who played in high school would play with her. She has never gotten around to wanting to run a campaign but I'm not pushing it. It will be fun if she decides to.
  • Gary Sax
  • Thank you received: 3031

Five days with Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons 11 May 2018 18:56 #273176

I DMed the starter set with my group in Michigan. We had a great time with it.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com

Five days with Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons 12 May 2018 07:18 #273183

We're going to the beach this summer with some friends and my buddy asked me, with great seriousness, if I would be willing to run D&D for him and his sons. This will be their first game. I almost choked up--this feels like godfather-level responsibility. I accepted with great solemnity and pride, and I am now designing dungeons full of fart monsters.
  • BaronDonut
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 64
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SebastianBludd, engineer Al, Erik Twice

Five days with Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons 12 May 2018 08:28 #273186

^oh so much sweeter than this bgg thing where you have this elaborate plan to "convert" your friends.
  • Gary Sax
  • Thank you received: 3031
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds