October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Spiel des Jahres 2018 Nominees

More
14 May 2018 08:04 #273250 by ubarose
Nominated for the "Game of the Year 2018" 
Azul by Michael Kiesling ...

Here they are. The Spiel des Jahres 2018 nominees. 

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2018 08:47 #273251 by stormseeker75
There is 0% chance that Azul doesn't win.

More
14 May 2018 09:29 #273254 by Black Barney
Anyone have any experience with any of those kids' games? That could be fun to pick up. Maybe I should wait for the winner to make the decision easier...

All three nominees for GAME OF THE YEAR are only ages eight and up! Has that ever happened before?

More
14 May 2018 10:29 #273259 by barrowdown

Black Barney wrote: All three nominees for GAME OF THE YEAR are only ages eight and up! Has that ever happened before?

Going through the previous lists, it has happened twice before:

2012: Kingdom Builder, Eselbrucke, Las Vegas
2013: Hanabi, Augustus, Qwixx

There are a few other years where only one of the nominees was above eight and up.

More
14 May 2018 10:44 #273260 by Black Barney
Well, Shellie has pulled off maybe the most effective ad ever conceived for TWBG. As a result of her posting this, I have insta-purchased all three nominees for kids' game of the year. All three sound like fun games I could play with Emily, and bring them to play with her cousins. Might as well introduce her to board games early on before she becomes a digital social outcast.

I'll let you all know how they are.

More
14 May 2018 11:16 #273265 by Gary Sax
I still like the SdJ intentionally remains as non-beardy as possible in its nominations. There's a place for beardy games (fuck, that's mostly what I play) but it's neat that I could show someone a big time awards ceremony which will be accessible.

More
14 May 2018 11:46 #273271 by ChristopherMD

Gary Sax wrote: It's good they didn't nominate Gloomhaven.

Fixed.

More
14 May 2018 12:11 #273274 by ubarose
To me it all reads like:
Milch & Gherkins
Milch & Gherkins
Milch & Gherkins

More
14 May 2018 18:03 #273296 by DukeofChutney
It remains a very german game list

More
15 May 2018 12:04 #273340 by Legomancer
I've played Azul and it's in there with Splendor and Century Spice Road, as an abstract filler that just kind of hangs around and does its thing. The production is gorgeous, though, and that's given the impression that it's also a stellar game. Without the beautiful tiles it would get zero attention. There's nothing bad about it, but nothing other than its production to distinguish it from a million other similar things.

Also played Heaven and Ale and it's a typical mechanisms-first design with a gently dusted on theme. I know I harsh on this stuff a lot, but it's the usual fare. The rules are a mishmash, but at least it didn't get 14 other mechanisms piled on top of it. Again, looks very pretty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, charlest

More
15 May 2018 17:16 #273376 by Unicron
This is a shit list. Also, I don't believe that The Mind is a game.

*crawls back into lair*
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, stormseeker75

More
15 May 2018 17:52 #273380 by Shellhead
The Germans might have better taste in boardgames if someone would just time travel back to assassinate Hitler.

More
16 May 2018 07:58 #273404 by Legomancer
* I step out of time machine *
* I approach baby Hitler *
(ten minutes later)
"Okay so the Fungoids are exactly like the Crystalines except the opposite..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, san il defanso

More
20 May 2018 21:50 #273753 by Black Barney
Played Funkelschatz and Panic Mansion.

Funkelschatz is great fun. We tied a few times and I never won more than 3-4 points so it was always close and exciting. I noticed the tears starting to come after not winning after several games so I decided to switch it up to Panic Mansion

Big mistake

Because it’s a race on who can finish first, it’s much more stressful so after I won six in a row, she got pretty upset and ran up to her room crying. Ack! I hate this game, it’s way too intense. I was hoping for something more cooperative . I think the emojita one will be better

Watching her react was like reliving my childhood where I’d cry every time I was first eliminated from Risk or lost perpetually at chess (I don’t remember chess making me cry though). Anyway, I see she gets this after me. Her mom isn’t like this at all. She loves playing games and doesn’t mind losing

I wisely moved us to Disney Infinity after and we had a blast as Ultron and Stitch teamed up capturing gnomes in an obstacle course and visiting amusement parks

More
21 May 2018 09:05 #273777 by Shellhead
Barney, your situation reminds me of a a couple that used to play Jyhad. The guy taught his girlfriend how to play and helped her design some decks. The game is very complex and cutthroat, with each player trying to eliminate the player on their left. The girlfriend was very competitive, and took it very personally when she lost. Since it was a multi-player game and she was an average player, that meant that she usually lost. On a couple of occasions, she got so frustrated that she started crying during the game. I didn't like her, but I felt bad for someone who could be so miserable while playing a game.

One night at the game shop, she wasn't sitting at the Jyhad table. She was at another table with some strangers, playing The Hobbit co-op boardgame. And she seemed really happy. After that, she didn't play Jyhad much anymore, and eventually broke up with her boyfriend and moved away.

It sounds like you should look into co-op games, for the sake of someone who doesn't enjoy direct competitive games.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds