October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Jim Felli - "I'm a Terrible Game Hobbyist"

More
24 May 2018 09:57 #273990 by Sagrilarus
I think you've got a case of mid-fifties-itis Jim. I'd be curious to hear what you think of super hero movies and modern tv shows, because with the exception of a preference for Speysides I could have written this article (though not with such dash).

At some point your time becomes the more precious commodity, and the expenditure of money on the newest titles does nothing but bring additional burden. With games on your shelf that still require exploration the new purchases add to a to-do list that, frankly, you're not going to complete.

This past Monday I played an old game for the 11th time in 12 years, including the first time with my oldest boy. He couldn't stop talking post-game-show about it on the car ride home, a good sign for a game that is still revealing secrets to me. At 17 years my son has the time (and should spend the time) to explore new pastimes and figure out where he's going to be at my age.

I'm in a different stage of life, one where much of what comes out appears to be a repackage of prior work, another version of a game that I already have and still wish to explore. I still buy occasionally, but it's rare. My limiting factor has become shelf space, an artificially-imposed limit I've placed to make sure I'm clearing my old junk as fast as I'm acquiring new.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Frohike, charlest, xthexlo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2018 10:42 #273994 by charlest
Enjoyed this article Jim. Good work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xthexlo

More
24 May 2018 10:51 #273996 by xthexlo

san il defanso wrote: That's a really nice place to be in with a game, kind of like a good friend.

I agree. It’s the intimacy that I appreciate. Many games (old and new) are too superficial for my taste.

More
24 May 2018 11:05 #273997 by xthexlo

Sagrilarus wrote: I'd be curious to hear what you think of super hero movies and modern tv shows

I have mixed feelings. Overall I really like Netfix’s treatment of superheroes. Even Iron Fist — I disliked their treatment of his character, but the supporting cast was really quite well developed for the most part. The Marvel movies are fun and their reinvention of their characters are pretty interesting. I have grown to view Star Wars films as extended commercials for merchandise. And I think Star Trek has become a soulless venue for action and special effects to entice a new generation of moviegoers to spend money.

Sagrilarus wrote: with the exception of a preference for Speysides I could have written this article

I enjoy a good Macallan, and I have a soft spot for Abelour and Glenfiddich. Ooh — and a double distilled Cragganmore will quite turn my head!

More
24 May 2018 11:13 #273999 by xthexlo

charlest wrote: Enjoyed this article Jim. Good work.

Thanks, Charlie! I take that as high praise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
24 May 2018 12:47 #274004 by faceknives

This is why I tend to avoid IP games. I have found that popular IP tends to attract lazy non-mechanistic design, simply because the theme and salient story elements are already generally accepted or established canon.

There would have been a time when I'd have fiercly agreed with this entirely. And then Gale Force Nine happened.

That aside, I'd agree. You are an incredibly bad hobbyist. Wanting to play and explore games rather than consume them? Completely counter to everything the modern hobbyist stands for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, xthexlo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds