October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Netrunner cancelled!

More
08 Jun 2018 19:17 #275028 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Netrunner cancelled!
I played till SanSan cycle ended and have the mini expansions. What did the game do after that? Anything worth getting or can't miss before it dries up? No plans on playing anybody but like to be able to put decks together to go against each other.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2018 19:21 #275029 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Netrunner cancelled!

Da Bid Dabid wrote: I played till SanSan cycle ended and have the mini expansions. What did the game do after that? Anything worth getting or can't miss before it dries up? No plans on playing anybody but like to be able to put decks together to go against each other.

I think all cycles were very good. My recommendation is to pick up the deluxe box with the 3 different "minifactions" as they are a lot of fun and very different from the usual.

More
08 Jun 2018 20:32 - 08 Jun 2018 20:32 #275030 by Da Bid Dabid
Replied by Da Bid Dabid on topic Netrunner cancelled!
Yeah, have that one (sadly unplayed) and I meant I had all the deluxe expansions when I called them mini above. It was just when they started the most wanted list that things got annoying for me. I understood why the need to restrict stuff in a competitive meta exists, but for my casual self, changing the cost of things beyond what was printed on the cards was a huge turnoff. My set felt pretty complete when I stopped buying packs as every faction had a mini expansion dedicated to it. Just wondered if the last 4 cycles saw any kind of cool new mechanics or big shifts in gameplay. Like how different in the revised core?
Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 20:32 by Da Bid Dabid.

More
08 Jun 2018 20:43 #275031 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Netrunner cancelled!
I really want to play New Angeles (I think that’s the new Android game). I still want to play a few more games of Android with some regular players who can easily help me relearn.

I liked the universe. Shame I don’t do CCGs

More
08 Jun 2018 22:22 #275033 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Netrunner cancelled!

SuperflyTNT wrote: I really want to play New Angeles (I think that’s the new Android game). I still want to play a few more games of Android with some regular players who can easily help me relearn.

I liked the universe. Shame I don’t do CCGs

The Android universe still belongs to FFG. They started it, with Android. The Netrunner name and mechanics apparently still belong to WotC, and some of the game terminology might still be owned by R. Talsorian Games or its founder Michael Pondsmith. He created the Cyberpunk rpg, which was the setting for the original Netrunner CCG.

More
08 Jun 2018 22:28 #275034 by DarthJoJo
Replied by DarthJoJo on topic Netrunner cancelled!
Never played myself, but I do appreciate that they took the time to expand the typical cyberpunk settings out of the Pacific Rim and space to check out what was happening in India and Africa.

More
08 Jun 2018 23:36 #275037 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Netrunner cancelled!
I thought of Erik as soon as I heard and was sad for him :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
09 Jun 2018 08:01 #275043 by Erik Twice

Da Bid Dabid wrote: Yeah, have that one (sadly unplayed) and I meant I had all the deluxe expansions when I called them mini above. It was just when they started the most wanted list that things got annoying for me. I understood why the need to restrict stuff in a competitive meta exists, but for my casual self, changing the cost of things beyond what was printed on the cards was a huge turnoff. My set felt pretty complete when I stopped buying packs as every faction had a mini expansion dedicated to it. Just wondered if the last 4 cycles saw any kind of cool new mechanics or big shifts in gameplay. Like how different in the revised core?

The MWL list is now a Banned/Restricted list which I think is more intutive and overall better. I think the MWL influence hit was a good idea but it only worked with above-average cards, actually broken cards were still worth playing.

There were not any huge shifts in gameplay, per se. It was still Netrunner, it just got better, more varied and (After the banlist came) much more controlled. There are more archetypes, more paths, more fun. Before these news the game was in the best shape it had ever been.

The Revised Core is different not so much for what it includes, but what it doesn't. Many problematic cards were removed, like NBN's agendas or Parasite and replacements have been introduced during this cycle (Kitara). In fact, Revised Core Set+Kiata plus the new Deluxe expansion (Reverie) was clearly designed to be the new base for the game and it's a great base, better than the original.

If you like the game and see yourself keeping it, consider Reverie, as it has cards for all factions and won't have a large print. The earlier packs are common and shouldbn't be hard to find, though.

Black Barney wrote: I thought of Erik as soon as I heard and was sad for him :(

Thanks Barney, it means a lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, Da Bid Dabid

More
09 Jun 2018 09:48 #275046 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Netrunner cancelled!

Shellhead wrote: The Netrunner name and mechanics apparently still belong to WotC

I thought you couldn't copyright game mechanics?

More
09 Jun 2018 09:58 #275047 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Netrunner cancelled!

Disgustipater wrote:

Shellhead wrote: The Netrunner name and mechanics apparently still belong to WotC

I thought you couldn't copyright game mechanics?

Okay, rules not mechanics. Though Netrunner was originally designed by Richard Garfield, and I think WotC did get a patent or copyright or some such for the term "tap" when used in a card game.

More
09 Jun 2018 10:51 #275050 by Erik Twice

Disgustipater wrote: I thought you couldn't copyright game mechanics?

The boardgaming world works a bit on a gentleman's agreement not to copy other company's games. Legally speaking, there are no protections. You can quite literally release Geophorming Mars, Space Floating Rock and Cosmic Meetup and there would be no legal grounds beyond trademarks (The names) and some coyprightable material (the strict rules text, but you can rephrase it).

This is why, for example, you can clone D&D.

More
10 Jun 2018 14:47 #275059 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic Netrunner cancelled!
This is sad. I never really had a group to play with, so mostly it was me and a co-worker playing over lunch a few times. I only ever got the original box and the first two or three packs. I really liked the game, and always hoped I'd be able to play with my kids or something.

Part of me wants to pick up a batch of stuff and just have a "sealed" environment, but I missed so much, I bet that isn't really worth it. Oh well, it's always sad to see a really good game killed off.

More
10 Jun 2018 17:04 #275064 by Erik Twice

Chaz wrote: This is sad. I never really had a group to play with, so mostly it was me and a co-worker playing over lunch a few times. I only ever got the original box and the first two or three packs. I really liked the game, and always hoped I'd be able to play with my kids or something.

Part of me wants to pick up a batch of stuff and just have a "sealed" environment, but I missed so much, I bet that isn't really worth it. Oh well, it's always sad to see a really good game killed off.

It is very much worth it to have a sealed environment, I think. I think Terminal Directive's campaign and that kind of "Oh, we'll build a deck and we'll tweak after each game" is great and very self-contained.

Draft is also great, but harder to play.

More
11 Jun 2018 05:33 #275079 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Netrunner cancelled!
Okay, so while this is sad for regular players, it also feels like an opportunity for more casual fans. With a fixed pool of cards, the idea of collecting a few expansions and just building decks for folk to play against you seems much more appealing.

I own the original base set and a handful of early expansions (Creation & Control, Trace Amount, What Lies Ahead). It's a game I really enjoy but I've played it very little because I didn't have the time or energy (or a regular opponent) to get into the whole meta. But I'm quite tempted to pick up a couple more expansions now. Not least because it seems a good time to grab some before they go out of print.

Any that are particularly worthwhile in terms of making a general card pool?

More
11 Jun 2018 14:31 #275112 by Erik Twice

MattDP wrote: Any that are particularly worthwhile in terms of making a general card pool?

It seems the big recommendation right now is Revised Core set plus Kitara Cycle plus the still unreleased expansion. The reason is that they form the "pillar" for the revised edition of the game just like the original core set and the few cycles were. Chances are the last expansion and cycle will have a small print.

If you already own the early expansions and are playing with the early core, though, the right recommendation is Opening Moves because it has Jackson Howard in it, which helps a lot. If I see a more general recommendation I'll post it here, I think people will be starting writing guides shortly.

I'm not sure if you guys know, but you can play online too. I regret not having done this earlier but I plan to write a guide in how to do it. You only need to use a website called Jinteki.net and the user interface is great. Most of the game is automated, actually.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds