October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Memoir '44 - Do You Still Play? - Flashback Friday

More
14 Jun 2018 23:00 #275438 by ubarose

Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2018 05:29 #275439 by southernman
Cut a long time ago. I had some expansions (Desert, Eastern Front, Pacific and the no quite right Air Pack) and the scenarios all seemed pretty well done but in the end the double luck dependency of dice and card draws drove me mad and slowly sucked some of the fun out of it. Ended up moving on to Tide of Iron for a lower level squad based game with a bit less luck.

More
15 Jun 2018 06:04 #275440 by repoman
I never could get past the long set up time compared to play time. I think it's a fine game for the younger crowd.

More
15 Jun 2018 06:41 #275441 by Matt Thrower
It's a game that really needs expansions to shine. You can roll with the Eastern Front or the Campaign Book or, preferably, both. In various ways, they both help to take the edge off all the cards and dice.

I've still got my copies of all three, and they've seen me through maybe 50 plays in total. That means it's earned its keep, although I've not played in a long while.

Fundamentally though, C&C:A is simply better and with less setup time. Except for having to sticker all those blocks, that is.

I'm quite surprised M44 never made it as a mass-market breakout hit. It seemed to have all the required qualities.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
15 Jun 2018 07:50 #275442 by Jarvis
I haven’t played in a couple of years, but a buddy and I are thinking of playing out the campaign again soon.

More
15 Jun 2018 08:34 #275444 by the_jake_1973
I play on Vassal regularly as part of a ladder group. No set up time is a definite benefit. I still find it an entertaining and solid wargame. It is best when playing scenarios twice while switching sides. Therein lays another pleasant feature, the game length allows you to do that multiple times in a night.

I have most iterations of the C&C system. Although Nappy is probably my favorite setting, M44 will never be far from the table or Vassal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
15 Jun 2018 09:14 #275446 by JMcL63
I played this quite a lot when it came out- it was my reintroduction to WW2 tactical boardgaming. I went all-in on the expansions until I stopped playing it, which was when I got hold of Combat Commander. Still, I remember M44 as a fun game with a remarkably comprehensive system if you've got all the expansions, although, truth to tell, I did prefer C&C:A.

More
15 Jun 2018 09:28 - 15 Jun 2018 09:31 #275447 by Sagrilarus
My kids absolutely loved this game for about a two-year period. I'd like to play it more (as well as C&C Ancients which is a period of history I am much more interested in, and Battle Cry) but my game group is neck-deep in keeping up with their new purchases.

So I think my best best is to fill my game bag with Memoir and its brethren, show up and just set one up. There's one old guy there that likes conflict games and will likely sit down across from me if I give him the chance.

Borg created Battle Cry and Memoir as rule sets for miniatures games, and they have a miniatures feel to their play. There's significant luck involved (which is highly appropriate for the theme and setting) and you need to react on short notice to what's happening on the board and what's happening in your hand of cards. You can't often make plans very far in advance because you don't have enough prior knowledge. Alas, modern gamers don't like that as much. I do. I'm at my best and enjoy playing most in tactical games, so Memoir is right in my wheelhouse.

I may have to force this on my boys for Father's Day. Timely article -- they can't deny my request Sunday morning!

S.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2018 09:31 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, JMcL63, Frohike, the_jake_1973

More
15 Jun 2018 14:02 #275465 by fightcitymayor
I guess I never understood why one would invest the $$$ in expansions for such a basic left/center/right C&C game. For only slightly more brainpower one could easily move up to Combat Commander or Tide Of Iron or Heroes Of Normandie, or ratchet up another half-step for one of a dozen different legit tactical games (Band of Brothers, Conflict of Heroes, Lock & Load, Old School Tactical, etc. etc. etc.) and have a system where the expansions actually make it a game worth owning.

I can see owning the base set to haul out for a casual crowd (it's great in that role) but that's about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Msample, Frohike

More
15 Jun 2018 15:18 #275477 by southernman

fightcitymayor wrote: I guess I never understood why one would invest the $$$ in expansions for such a basic left/center/right C&C game. For only slightly more brainpower one could easily move up to Combat Commander or Tide Of Iron or Heroes Of Normandie, or ratchet up another half-step for one of a dozen different legit tactical games (Band of Brothers, Conflict of Heroes, Lock & Load, Old School Tactical, etc. etc. etc.) and have a system where the expansions actually make it a game worth owning.

I can see owning the base set to haul out for a casual crowd (it's great in that role) but that's about it.

For the aesthetics each expansion provides (plastic bits and terrain for the theatre) plus the pretty decent scenarios, but I did upgrade to ToI.

More
15 Jun 2018 16:29 #275487 by the_jake_1973

fightcitymayor wrote: I guess I never understood why one would invest the $$$ in expansions for such a basic left/center/right C&C game. For only slightly more brainpower one could easily move up to Combat Commander or Tide Of Iron or Heroes Of Normandie, or ratchet up another half-step for one of a dozen different legit tactical games (Band of Brothers, Conflict of Heroes, Lock & Load, Old School Tactical, etc. etc. etc.) and have a system where the expansions actually make it a game worth owning.

Not all wargames need to be some brain burning wargame that lasts hours. M44 delivers a fast and entertaining combat while the card play keeps the replay value high. The ability to be able to play multiple games in a night is also appealing. Some of the games listed for comparison are also zoomed in much closer than M44, so the maneuver component would be much more of a feature.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, JMcL63

More
15 Jun 2018 17:54 #275503 by Colorcrayons
I'm not really a fan. I can tolerate the game if someone asks me to play it, but that's a once every few years kind of thing.

I respect days of wonder a lot, but this was one of their games I didn't regret failing to buy into.

More
16 Jun 2018 10:30 #275532 by JMcL63

Completionism is one obvious reason why people would go all-in on Memoir'44, but to put it down to just that would be to underestimate exactly how good a gateway WW2 tactical game it actually is, its simple left/center/right C&C system notwithstanding. That L/C/R system is definitely least at home in the WW2 setting, because of the use of radio communications by many units, but it still works well enough. And the basics of fire-and-movement work really rather nicely, in a way that creates some subtle effects. The expansions bring completely new stuff too, and serve to make that basic system quite all-encompassing in its scope. So the appeal of M44 to its fans is not just the aesthetic element of the toy factor, but also the rich potential of the system hidden in its simplicity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
16 Jun 2018 10:49 #275534 by Black Barney
It’s a great way to honour our fallen heroes
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, JMcL63, GorillaGrody

More
17 Jun 2018 07:41 #275596 by Msample
I could never get over the seemingly wildly variable scale. Some scenarios its quasi tactical, others cover the entire 5 beaches of Normandy or the entire attack on Moscow in 1941 . I need at least some semblance of reality in my historical games and this fails.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fightcitymayor

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds