Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

B
BradHB
January 28, 2022
204 0
D
DavidNorris
January 27, 2022
308 0
A
adamr
January 26, 2022
652 0

Gandhi - a Punchboard Review

Board Game Reviews
MB
Michael Barnes
January 24, 2022
4363 0
Hot
T
thegiantbrain
January 24, 2022
585 0

Lords of Vegas - In Focus

Beyond Reviews
B
BradHB
January 21, 2022
535 0

Hoth Ice Planet Adventure Game

Podcasts & Videos
D
DavidNorris
January 20, 2022
639 0
T
thegiantbrain
January 19, 2022
283 0
T
thegiantbrain
January 17, 2022
1267 0
W
We-reNotWizards
January 12, 2022
840 0

Ten: The Card Game - Review

Board Game Reviews
T
thegiantbrain
January 11, 2022
352 0
O
oliverkinne
January 11, 2022
635 0
MT
Matt Thrower
January 10, 2022
1198 0
J
Jackwraith
January 10, 2022
616 1
MB
Michael Barnes
January 07, 2022
2898 0
B
BradHB
January 07, 2022
458 0
×
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Monolith Reveal Plans to Use Kickstarter as Store Front to Sell Claustrophobia 1643

More
21 Jun 2018 09:24 #275903 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote: So now everyone not doing the KS thing is looking at one of two sides --

1. minimum pricing via the traditional channel in order to "support local games stores and increase the perceived value of the product"; or

2. direct to consumer sales, "passing the savings on to you."

Option 2 now has big visibility and a marketing platform to carry it. If this gets traction with other publishers you'll see game stores in a world of hurt. They're pissed at Kickstarter already, this just drives the screw that much deeper into the wood.


Option 2 is fine for the Box Collectors who keep buying games without playing them.

Option 1 is important for people who actually play games, because local game stores are often the only public venue for local gaming.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 09:37 #275905 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: So now everyone not doing the KS thing is looking at one of two sides --

1. minimum pricing via the traditional channel in order to "support local games stores and increase the perceived value of the product"; or

2. direct to consumer sales, "passing the savings on to you."

Option 2 now has big visibility and a marketing platform to carry it. If this gets traction with other publishers you'll see game stores in a world of hurt. They're pissed at Kickstarter already, this just drives the screw that much deeper into the wood.


Option 2 is fine for the Box Collectors who keep buying games without playing them.

Option 1 is important for people who actually play games, because local game stores are often the only public venue for local gaming.



As it stands those are both academic points, because any particular title will only be available through one of the two options.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 10:58 #275918 by fightcitymayor

Sagrilarus wrote:

ubarose wrote: I’m guessing the value of Kickstarter promotion/advertisement makes is worthwhile to use it as a store front.


Kickstarter IS a storefront, always has been, and it's one that gets a lot of traffic.

Christ on a crutch, long ago I lost count of how much virtual internet feces was thrown at me over the years (at a certain bg site that shall not be named) for DARING to say that: Kickstarter IS a store! Holy ballz, you would have thought I was a flat-earther with the amount of opprobrium leveled at me for my transgressions against the TAKE MY MONEY gif. I so hate boardgamers.

But srsly, why has no one started an honest Kickstarter-for-boardgames site where no one lies about "oh this definitely isn't a store!" and no one lies about stretch goals ("another $10k and we include a box!") and no one lies about how they totally have no idea how many minis will be in the final KS package, and no one lies about their "project" being totally about "the backers." Howzabout an honest KS site without the transparent lying? Too much to ask?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 11:32 #275923 by ChristopherMD
Meanwhile, Petersen Games is thinking about doing a KS where the only reward is a discount on their next KS. Because they've overextended themselves on KS's and need money now.

The following user(s) said Thank You: fightcitymayor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 11:53 #275927 by Shellhead
Goddamit, Sandy Peterson masterminded one of the most successful Kickstarters of all time. How in the hell could PG be overextended when they are collecting the money for these games up front? Normal game publishers seem to find a way to make the games first and then sell them. Anybody who contributes to a Kicksucker just so they can get a discount on a later one is gambling at this point.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 11:55 #275928 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: So now everyone not doing the KS thing is looking at one of two sides --

1. minimum pricing via the traditional channel in order to "support local games stores and increase the perceived value of the product"; or

2. direct to consumer sales, "passing the savings on to you."

Option 2 now has big visibility and a marketing platform to carry it. If this gets traction with other publishers you'll see game stores in a world of hurt. They're pissed at Kickstarter already, this just drives the screw that much deeper into the wood.


Option 2 is fine for the Box Collectors who keep buying games without playing them.

Option 1 is important for people who actually play games, because local game stores are often the only public venue for local gaming.



As it stands those are both academic points, because any particular title will only be available through one of the two options.


Academic from the standpoint of the publisher. The distinction should be extremely important to customers, if they want to play the games they are buying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 12:35 #275932 by drewcula
Oh my. Arthur Petersen's PR thought/solution/problem sounds horrifying.

IMO, Cthulhu Wars was lighting in a bottle. I got "lucky" to buy a small room worth of content during it's SECOND KS. A reprint with some token new bits. Because I have some mental baggage, I bought into their THIRD KS. Again, a reprint. And again, with some token new bits. It seems to be the law of diminishing returns.

CW is great, but I can't say any other title from Petersen games has really grabbed me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 12:49 #275933 by fightcitymayor

drewcula wrote: IMO, Cthulhu Wars was lighting in a bottle. I got "lucky" to buy a small room worth of content during it's SECOND KS. A reprint with some token new bits. Because I have some mental baggage, I bought into their THIRD KS. Again, a reprint. And again, with some token new bits. It seems to be the law of diminishing returns.

Yo dawg, I heard you like buying the same game three times via Kickstarter, so I started a Kickstarter to fund my next Kickstarter because I'm outta money from my last Kickstarter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 12:50 - 21 Jun 2018 12:55 #275934 by Not Sure

Shellhead wrote: Goddamit, Sandy Peterson masterminded one of the most successful Kickstarters of all time. How in the hell could PG be overextended when they are collecting the money for these games up front? Normal game publishers seem to find a way to make the games first and then sell them. Anybody who contributes to a Kicksucker just so they can get a discount on a later one is gambling at this point.


Holy shit. They appear to have just invented the boardgame derivatives market. This will end poorly.

What a fucking joke.

"Our KS campaign only collected $500k, so now we have to make and sell the game at a loss..." Did someone not explain the notion of margin there?

KS is supposed to insulate the producers from this sort of shit, by giving you the money up front to produce the product. If you needed one meeeellion dollars to make it viable (suspend disbelief for a moment), that is what you set the target at.

At least they're making giant monster games and not economic simulations.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2018 12:55 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Frohike, Colorcrayons, WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 13:20 #275936 by Gregarius
Interesting, but I can't really say I care all that much. A couple of questions, though:

1) Isn't this essentially what Queen Games has been doing for a couple of years?

2) Does Kickstarter have any say about how a company uses their site?

Realistically, I'm sure that as long as they get their 10% they don't care. But they do have a "market brand" of helping fund the little guys that the industry ignores. This doesn't really seem to fit in with that. On the other hand, when there was blowback against Zach Braff for funding his movie, all the antagonism went to him, not KS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 14:13 #275945 by jpat
It'd seem like, at the least, Arthur's proposal would be stretching the limit because the only way to verify whether the project had ever been fulfilled would be when an entirely separate project had fulfilled.

The "goal" for Planet Apocalypse, which I've never heard of (not that that matters, but I backed CW OS2) was $100k, for what it's worth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 16:14 #275956 by Colorcrayons

Gregarius wrote: Interesting, but I can't really say I care all that much. A couple of questions, though:

1) Isn't this essentially what Queen Games has been doing for a couple of years?

2) Does Kickstarter have any say about how a company uses their site?

Realistically, I'm sure that as long as they get their 10% they don't care. But they do have a "market brand" of helping fund the little guys that the industry ignores. This doesn't really seem to fit in with that. On the other hand, when there was blowback against Zach Braff for funding his movie, all the antagonism went to him, not KS.


You would think KS cares about what the brand is, but I think it comes down to that cold hard 10%.

I'm sure they'll care at some point when the blowback reaches critical pressure, and KS can afford to snub their noses at those wishing to use their service as a preorder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2018 18:52 - 21 Jun 2018 18:52 #275965 by Sagrilarus

Colorcrayons wrote:

Gregarius wrote: Interesting, but I can't really say I care all that much. A couple of questions, though:

1) Isn't this essentially what Queen Games has been doing for a couple of years?

2) Does Kickstarter have any say about how a company uses their site?

Realistically, I'm sure that as long as they get their 10% they don't care. But they do have a "market brand" of helping fund the little guys that the industry ignores. This doesn't really seem to fit in with that. On the other hand, when there was blowback against Zach Braff for funding his movie, all the antagonism went to him, not KS.


You would think KS cares about what the brand is, but I think it comes down to that cold hard 10%.

I'm sure they'll care at some point when the blowback reaches critical pressure, and KS can afford to snub their noses at those wishing to use their service as a preorder.


You're assuming the owners didn't have a meeting where someone said "fuck the dreamers." This may be in their business plan now.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2018 18:52 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds