October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Firefly Adventures: Brigands and Browncoats Review

More
17 Jul 2018 00:30 #277749 by WadeMonnig

Thrillin' adventures indeed. 

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2018 09:24 #277750 by Josh Look
I really like this complete mess of a game, but the process of learning it knocked a star off for me, and what few scenarios there are greatly vary in quality which isn’t helped by how wildly swingy the game can be. The core of the game is really fun though, I’ve always liked that time system in other games and it tells some fun stories. However, if I’m looking to spend some time in the Verse, I’m always going to reach for it’s big, by far superior older brother.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
17 Jul 2018 09:34 #277754 by ubarose
Unfortunately, I mostly agree with you on this one. Firefly:B&B has the potential to be a really great and unique "dungeon crawl" style game. It is particularly interesting because it doesn't rely as heavily on the hack & slash - kill everything - model of most other dungeon crawls. It also does a good job of evoking it's IP and the characters.

However, the rule book is a mess, and there aren't enough scenarios. Also, the 3D buildings are gimmicky and end up being rather annoying in play, blocking players view and sliding around quite a bit.

Gale Force 9 can indeed make this game realize it's full potential with a revised rule book and more scenarios. However, seeing that this game has been repeatedly put on sale by various online stores in the few months since it was released makes me think that it is not selling well, and makes me worry that this game will not see the support that it needs from Gale Force 9.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
17 Jul 2018 09:41 #277755 by charlest
It definitely needs more scenarios. I like the game quite a bit, but at the same time, I haven't reached for it beyond my first several plays to review it myself.

I love the 3D buildings but they are a pain. I wouldn't want to get rid of them though and sacrifice the personality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig

More
17 Jul 2018 09:43 #277757 by Sagrilarus
You mention five characters, which from the show are not included?

This sounds interesting to me, and I'm really not a fan of cooperative games. But the nature of Firefly's aiming-to-misbehave mechanic is that you press your luck and hope for the best. If that's the running gear on this game as well then having a cooperative nature won't be as much of an issue, because any joker that browbeats you into doing something rash will get appropriate negative feedback from the die rolls in short order. With a dose of luck after the decision cooperatives become much more interesting.

So this has no mechanical connection to the original game, right? They're not designed to coordinate or be incorporated into each other?

Sounds like Gale Force 9 needs to get half a dozen more scenarios out right quick. If they don't, it's an indication they've moved on.

Thanks for the review. Well done.

Point of order -- will all reviews on ThereWillBe.Games have just the one image in the upper right? This one sure could have used a couple of snapshots of the game set up on a table to aid in understanding of it.

S.

More
17 Jul 2018 09:47 #277758 by Sagrilarus
Oh, and I'll mention there are two expansions announced that bring the crew up to nine, but each has only two new scenarios to play out. That's a total of eight. Still not many.

More
17 Jul 2018 11:09 #277763 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote:
This sounds interesting to me, and I'm really not a fan of cooperative games. But the nature of Firefly's aiming-to-misbehave mechanic is that you press your luck and hope for the best. If that's the running gear on this game as well then having a cooperative nature won't be as much of an issue, because any joker that browbeats you into doing something rash will get appropriate negative feedback from the die rolls in short order. With a dose of luck after the decision cooperatives become much more interesting.

Also, in the spirit of Firefly, it is possible to completely blow it and shoot a fellow hero by accident. Oops.

More
17 Jul 2018 12:31 #277773 by Josh Look
The game is at its best when things are going wrong.

More
17 Jul 2018 13:57 #277776 by SuperflyPete
This sounds like a really fun little skirmish game
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
17 Jul 2018 16:15 #277786 by WadeMonnig

charlest wrote: It definitely needs more scenarios. I like the game quite a bit, but at the same time, I haven't reached for it beyond my first several plays to review it myself.

I love the 3D buildings but they are a pain. I wouldn't want to get rid of them though and sacrifice the personality.

Ahh, that's what I wanted to mention in my review and forgot. Blue Tack! I use this silly putty type stuff to hold the buildings in place. Stops the annoying sliding of buildings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
17 Jul 2018 16:47 #277789 by WadeMonnig

Josh Look wrote: I really like this complete mess of a game, but the process of learning it knocked a star off for me.

This is exactly why it needs a tutorial mission. I have literally been thinking about making one up. I have it all in my head, just need to put down on paper and draw up the maps. Can you imagine a tutorial "The Battle of Serenity Valley?" Hell, I got excited just TYPING that. With real in-game rewards that you carry over to your first game. *Eyes up his copy of Colt Express* For a second mission,I'm thinking "The Train Job." Thanks for the feedback Josh!

More
17 Jul 2018 16:54 #277790 by WadeMonnig

Sagrilarus wrote: You mention five characters, which from the show are not included?

Mal, Zoe, Wash, Jayne and Kaylee. The mentioned expansions will add a pack for Simon and River and a second pack for Book and Inara.

Sagrilarus wrote: So this has no mechanical connection to the original game, right? They're not designed to coordinate or be incorporated into each other?

Not really. It comes with promo cards that go into the original game. I've heard talk of people wanting to use it as an away mission simulator for the first game but I honestly can't see that happening based on Table Space and Time concerns.

Sagrilarus wrote: Point of order -- will all reviews on ThereWillBe.Games have just the one image in the upper right? This one sure could have used a couple of snapshots of the game set up on a table to aid in understanding of it.

S.

I usually take some pics of my game when it is set up. I know there has been talk of using them on Instagram. I'm not sure if they will be added to reviews but I'm sure it will be considered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
17 Jul 2018 18:34 - 17 Jul 2018 18:34 #277795 by ubarose

WadeMonnig wrote:
I usually take some pics of my game when it is set up. I know there has been talk of using them on Instagram. I'm not sure if they will be added to reviews but I'm sure it will be considered.

You can add additional images to your reviews by inserting them in the email that you send to Barnes.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2018 18:34 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
17 Jul 2018 21:44 #277801 by KingPut
The game has potential I love the building and some of the Gaming concepts but I totally fucked up the rules the first play because the rules were so screwy. I haven’t been able to stomach playing it again.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.528 seconds