October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Runebound - Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

More
27 Jul 2018 09:36 #278504 by ubarose

Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2018 09:56 #278505 by ChristopherMD
This game was never popular on this site since day one. Not even gonna bother defending it at this point. Let the Hate-Fest begin!

More
27 Jul 2018 10:05 #278507 by Shellhead
I played first edition Runebound once. Just the base set, I think. Red Scorpion struck me as ridiculous. The game was long. Combat was tedious and repetitious. Movement was the worst. I can see the idea, to make movement a bit of a random efficiency puzzle to solve each turn, but it was only enjoyable if the dice actually allowed you to where you wanted to go. The desert edition sounded a bit interesting, but the base game was too lacking in fun.

More
27 Jul 2018 10:39 - 27 Jul 2018 10:41 #278509 by Josh Look
Oh man, here I come to burn this thing down!

Without slinging hate for the sake of hate, I do think 1st/2nd edition is entirely boring. Roll dice to move (which isn’t a bad idea but is frustrating more often than not in execution) encounter a monster, roll more dice, repeat, repeat, repeat. The gameplay is so bonedry and the narrative relies entirely on flavor text, which is also boring and poorly written. Expansions do no fix this, the doom track does not fix it, and the downtime is noticeable. This is a game that I cannot be convinced that it is fun.

3rd edition on the other hand is absolutely terrific. The narrative is much more realized even if the setting is still bland, the movement is opened up greatly, and while at first glance the combat mechanics appear to be FFG being clever just for the sake of being clever, they’re really interesting, easy enough to wrap your head around, and are resolved with ease. I really wish the game had taken off better than it did, as I feel that long term enjoyment hinges upon a variety of boss monsters, not necessarily more encounters.

While I would never say it’s as good as Firefly, the best adventure game of the modern era (don’t you dare call it pick and deliver, that’s not the point and you’re dead wrong), I go back and forth with it in comparison to Eldritch Horror. Either way, Runebound 3 is a great game.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2018 10:41 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman

More
27 Jul 2018 11:32 #278515 by the_jake_1973
Love it? No.
Like it? Yes.
Will I pull it off the shelf? I would be hard pressed to choose this over Merchants & Marauders or Exalted: Legacy of the Unconquered Sun. Both of those titles offer better adventure and a better way to move the game along to it's end.

It is a game I would sell at this point, but I doubt my wife would let me.

I am most thankful that the game and it's expansions gave me tons of characters to play Dungeonquest with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
27 Jul 2018 11:50 #278517 by ubarose
The thing is, that in the early 2000s there just weren't many fantasy adventure games out there. Talisman was out of print. There was Prophecy and Return of the Heroes, both of which were not always available in the US and both of which had their flaws. So when Runebound came out, people who were desperate for a fantasy adventure game really tried to make it work.

It is probably the most patched up game ever. There were many player created variants, then all the expansions by FFG to tweak it and more or less improve it. I have found that when you find someone who likes Runebound they are actually playing their own home brew of Runebound - a specific combination of variants, expansions and house rules - AND, the biggie, "I only play it solo," OR "I neve play with more than 3, and I have an extra set of dice."

Now there is more to choose from, so we reach for one of the other adventure game that are out there, rather than struggle with Runebound.

I have heard good things about 3rd edition, and would like to try it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Frohike, DarthJoJo, GoTeamVenture

More
27 Jul 2018 11:57 #278519 by SuperflyPete
I love it. Always have. My only beef is HOW we played it. Mama loves the game for the “fight and buff” mechanics so she always takes 6 hours to buff her dude up so there’s no dice roll needed against the bosses.

That kind of sucks the fun out a bit, but still fun.

We sold it all off after playing it and all of its expansion packs a million times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Frohike

More
27 Jul 2018 12:00 #278521 by southernman
I've never played it, never seen it and don't even know what it is about (apart from Terrinoth I'm assuming) and after the first couple of posts I was just going to ignore this thread, maybe coming back now and then to see the blood and damage - then Josh posted and now I'm interested to at least look at the 3E version. I won't buy it as I have Firefly, EH, and M&M but will check to see if anyone owns it around here.
Now I'm off to read about it.

More
27 Jul 2018 12:07 #278523 by Colorcrayons
I played the 1st Ed twice long ago.

I never grokked the love for it.

Little did I know, it was a sign of things to come from FFG design wise for the "lots of stuff and cards in a box" category.

So... Meh?

More
27 Jul 2018 12:09 #278525 by RobertB
ubarose wrote:

The thing is, that in the early 2000s there just weren't many fantasy adventure games out there. Talisman was out of print. There was Prophecy and Return of the Heroes, both of which were not always available in the US and both of which had their flaws. So when Runebound came out, people who were desperate for a fantasy adventure game really tried to make it work.

I think uba has the right take on Runebound 1.0 - there wasn't a whole lot of competition when it came out. I played it a few times way back when, and bought a copy. The game sucked for four players, and especially for player #4, because they had to travel farther to get green encounters, or take on harder blue encounters too early and lose. If I still have my copy of 1.0, I think I'll take a page out of Jexik's book, and give it away for the cost of shipping.

More
27 Jul 2018 12:09 #278526 by the_jake_1973

SuperflyTNT wrote: I love it. Always have. My only beef is HOW we played it. Mama loves the game for the “fight and buff” mechanics so she always takes 6 hours to buff her dude up so there’s no dice roll needed against the bosses.

That kind of sucks the fun out a bit, but still fun.

We sold it all off after playing it and all of its expansion packs a million times.

I have a couple friends that do that and it bugs the hell out of me if I am trailing. Just finish the game already.

More
27 Jul 2018 12:36 #278528 by Josh Look

ubarose wrote: I have heard good things about 3rd edition, and would like to try it.

We played it. You really enjoyed it, even agreed it’s better than 2nd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
27 Jul 2018 12:54 - 27 Jul 2018 16:03 #278529 by Frohike
Most of the haters of 2nd ed played the core game and moved on and, honestly, I don't blame them. It was slow & repetitive. The traversal was interesting on paper but tedious in reality, the events were rather bland & often slowed the game further, and as Josh stated, for an adventure composed entirely of flavor text... the writing was pretty bad. The PvP was handled poorly and I mostly avoided it, making me wonder how anyone would play this base game repeatedly with other opponents.

I got the big box expansion Frozen Wastes along with the base set in a math trade, so I jumped into that expansion almost immediately and it was like a light bulb had switched on. I'm not sure what the sequence of these expansions was, but Frozen Wastes felt like someone had finally honed their ability to repurpose the Runebound framework and I think this style of reframing/tweaking may be the reason why some became fans of this system. I've become more conflicted about this malleability over time.

So, what mutated?

The generic "level up ASAP & defeat the dragon lord" garbage was thrown out in favor of an alien lord. Yep. The premise of this one was that an alien using quasi-steampunk technology crash landed into Terrinoth and his companion The Princess (ugh), encased like River Tam in a hibernation pod, was randomly ejected to an unknown location during the crash. Alien lord is now lonely and bitter and wreaking havoc on the countryside with his machines and cybernetically enhanced/frenzied critters. You can either power up and try to take him down in a fight, or you can triangulate the location of the Princess with cards that are dropped during encounters. Stand in a spot surrounded by all of the terrain types listed in your collection of cards and you've found her. If you bring the Princess back to the alien's location, you win instantly.

Traversal is still kind of annoying but the expansion adds temporary items like snow shoes and um... warp crystals (I forget whatever Terrinothy term they used for it) to provide options that bypass bad rolls or tedious journeys back to town.

The simple addition of a frost effect during travel adds some narrative immersion to one of the core mechanisms along with a push-your-luck element. Some terrain types are colder than others (causing you to accumulate more frost) and the events become more interesting as they amplify or alternate these cold spots to different terrain, evoking the concept that players are constantly working around these shifting snow storms. Furry monsters often double as frost-abating items (pelts) once you kill them.

Towns come in two flavors: Inuit or Norse (again I forget the derpy Terrinoth terms). The Inuit provide frost-healing perks while the Norse provide more items in their store. The concept of Relic items was also added, using a similar triangulation mechanism to the Princess idea, but with redeemable terrain chits drawn from a cup. Collect enough of a certain type and stand in the right spot, and you could make a purchase from a smorgasbord of cool gear.

Overall the pacing felt less sleep-inducing, the goals more varied, & the premise a bit weirder… almost like a massive Skyrim sidequest with Dwarven bots and Yeti. It was interesting to see narrative structure injected into the system with more gameplay ideas rather than doubling down on the flavor text. I enjoyed it quite a bit and played a dozen sessions or so.

So I still remember Runebound fondly but also believe that the adventure game genre has moved on. In the context of recent games like Gloom of Kilforth or Dungeon Degenerates, I can't imagine going back to these Terrinoth systems unless nostalgia and boredom overwhelm me. Their core framework is just kind of anemic, which certainly lends itself well to reframings and bolted on enhancements, but I'd rather play something that's more gameplay-focused, evocative, and varied at its base.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2018 16:03 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., southernman, Colorcrayons, DarthJoJo

More
27 Jul 2018 14:27 #278541 by BaronDonut
Every time I think about playing Runebound I think it's not going to be fun and every time I actually play it I'm shocked by the amount of fun I have. Poor game, I don't know what it did to deserve this! Although I gotta say, I always wish the game was about 30% shorter.

More
27 Jul 2018 16:36 #278558 by dysjunct
Used to have 2e; it was initially kind of interesting but quickly got tedious.

Eventually I learned not to bother with attempts to replicate the D&D experience -- I'd rather just play D&D.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds