October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Runebound - Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

More
27 Jul 2018 17:02 #278563 by Ken B.
I will always have a soft spot for Runebound. Still own 2nd edition and a bit of expansion stuff for it. I have never played 3rd edition though I did watch it being played, and I'm not really keen to start flipping cardboard tokens around, just seems silly to me. It has been a while since I have actually played it, though I most certainly would if someone suggested it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2018 17:04 #278564 by Michael Barnes
I’ll do it! I’ll do it!

KEN’S BACK!

More
27 Jul 2018 17:08 #278568 by Ken B.

Michael Barnes wrote: I’ll do it! I’ll do it!

KEN’S BACK!

What? What's wrong with my back? Do I have something on it? GET IT OFF MAN GET IT OFF

More
27 Jul 2018 17:10 #278569 by southernman

Ken B. wrote: ... and I'm not really keen to start flipping cardboard tokens around, just seems silly to me.

You need to make the first comment on the 3E review :-)

Have you been away ?

More
27 Jul 2018 17:14 #278574 by Ken B.

Southernman wrote:

Ken B. wrote: ... and I'm not really keen to start flipping cardboard tokens around, just seems silly to me.

You need to make the first comment on the 3E review :-)

Have you been away ?

No, I have been over here in the corner the whole time, just fiddling with my bits.

That came out wrong.

Or did it?

More
27 Jul 2018 17:15 #278575 by Michael Barnes
Two posts in like five years and one of them is about bit-fiddling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
27 Jul 2018 17:18 #278576 by Ken B.

Michael Barnes wrote: Two posts in like five years and one of them is about bit-fiddling.

I can't tell if that's disapproval for the half low-brow humor or disappointment it wasn't 2-for-2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
27 Jul 2018 17:48 #278582 by mads b.
I've soloed 2nd ed. a lot and also played it every now and then with three or at most four players. We usually skipped the stupid PvP rules and had a lot of the small expansion stuff in there. What worked for me was definitely the story telling part and the sheer amount of dice chucking. Yes, the combat system was a bit samey at times, but there was just enough decisions each round to make a lot of the encounters interesting. And it does have a lot of small stories. You can go on small quests, but a lot of the encounters also interact - such as when defeating "Mother of Ferrox" gives you a one time "defeat a Ferrox-encounter" ability. It may not be much, but it was enough to make the board seem sort of connected.

I never got to play The Frozen Wastes, but I digged the things I read about it. I would love it if they brought it back for 3rd ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., Frohike

More
27 Jul 2018 18:22 #278584 by boothwah

KEN’S BACK!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
27 Jul 2018 18:48 #278585 by ubarose
I don’t remember playing 3rd Edition at all. I guess it leave much of an impression on me.

More
27 Jul 2018 18:51 - 27 Jul 2018 18:52 #278586 by ChristopherMD
Frozen Wastes is the rare game I regret not buying when it came out. If only we had FOMO back then I wouldn't have to sigh at the $100+ it would cost now.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2018 18:52 by ChristopherMD.

More
27 Jul 2018 22:59 - 29 Jul 2018 13:39 #278607 by Jackwraith
So, since I'm the resident person who will admit to liking the generic Terrinoth setting and owns basically every game ever put there (except Runewars Miniatures; no build-and-paint minis, ever again), I'll say this:

For all those people glorifying Talisman: Runebound is better than Talisman. You don't roll d6s and move in a single direction around a board. You roll the equivalent of d6s and can move in SIX different directions. You have PvP, but it's actually a challenge based on stats and multiple pieces of equipment and not just whomever found the Runesword first. And, best of all, you have the large box adventures, which totally change the way the game is played. The big expansions don't just add another board to d6-walk through. They alter the essence of the game, while you're still playing Runebound.

I never played 1st Ed, but that doesn't matter, because it only existed for a few months until they decided that having d20s was inferior to 2 d10s. That's pretty much the only real change between the 1st and 2nd "editions". I've also never played 3rd Ed, since that was a radical change. Just like with Talisman, 2nd Ed is the only way to go.

And what a way. You can spend $8 and get a totally different storyline for the base game, that sometimes changes the main board (Cataclysm) or sometimes changes the endgame conditions (Scepter of Kyros) or sometimes just gives you different enemies to fight at the end (Avatars of Kelnov.) Or you can use the bigger expansions (four of them) and fight on entirely new maps with entirely new environmental conditions, enemy decks, and win conditions. Talisman doesn't even come close to the variety that Runebound 2nd Ed afforded the average player, even if only a couple expansions were in use; counting the 8 or 9 that did nothing but add new enemies, quests, and magic items.

I haven't played 3rd Ed, although I've heard a lot of positive comments about the refinements in the same way that 2nd Ed Descent is better than 1st. But I've never failed to have a good time with Runebound "2nd" Ed and I doubt I ever will, especially since so many rarely tapped resources like the class decks exist to make the diversity of characters, classes, small expansions, and large expansions so huge.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2018 13:39 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., southernman, Gary Sax, Frohike, the_jake_1973

More
28 Jul 2018 03:05 #278621 by Colorcrayons

KEN’S BACK! ...is sexy :3

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B.

More
29 Jul 2018 06:51 #278672 by Sevej
This is the game I've been trying to try, but never really got to it. I like how it looks, the concept (especially that it has a "main story")... the combat is okay I think. But I doubt if one enemy is really different from the others.

More
29 Jul 2018 16:05 #278681 by southernman
Well earlier in thread I said, even though I'd never seen this before, I'd look out to play 3E from Josh's description of it. But then others have given decent recollections of 2E, especially with the big box expansions, so I decided to look out for either version. So browsing BGG Marketplace, like you do, I saw someone was selling a copy of 2E with three big box and five small card expansions for the price (or not much more) that the game by itself seemed to go - so I thought what the hell, what's one more game, and bought it.
The guys I play with all like the other FFG Terrinoth games (and they play Talisman when there's nothing on at their Warhammer nights) as well as M&M and Firefly so I can see this being played - even if it's initially just the base game then one each of the big box expansions.
I just need to win the 'TWBG Ganz Der Schon Tournament of Champions' now so Mr Barnes promised prize can pay for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B., Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds