October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2439 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Game your own sea shanty in Adrift: Lost at Sea - on Kickstarter now

More
17 Aug 2018 04:12 #279984 by Matt Thrower

Adrift: Lost at Sea is a challenging, 2 - 4 player, cooperative card game that focuses on bringing people together. It’s like the Oregon Trail meets a 16th Century shipwreck - As you make the journey back home on the unforgiving tides, your table becomes the lifeboat and you become the survivors. Plus, at the end of the game, you'll get a unique sea shanty about your voyage to sing (or chant) together and reminisce about your adventure!

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2018 14:44 #279985 by fightcitymayor
Okay, I'll ask: Is this a paid article for the purposes of advertising a Kickstarter project? Because this article is a word-for-word copy/paste from the KS project page.

More
17 Aug 2018 14:48 - 17 Aug 2018 14:53 #279986 by ChristopherMD
I could have sworn we were specifically not doing Kickstarter announcements on front page, but maybe I'm confusing with something else.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2018 14:53 by ChristopherMD.

More
17 Aug 2018 15:19 #279991 by dysjunct
Concerns of advertising aside, I do love me some sea shanties.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
17 Aug 2018 15:30 #279992 by Shellhead
I immediately pictured that pirate comic within a comic from Watchmen.

More
17 Aug 2018 17:36 #280005 by WadeMonnig

Shellhead wrote: I immediately pictured that pirate comic within a comic from Watchmen.

I got Waterworld. You win this round.

More
19 Aug 2018 03:17 #280033 by Matt Thrower

fightcitymayor wrote: Okay, I'll ask: Is this a paid article for the purposes of advertising a Kickstarter project? Because this article is a word-for-word copy/paste from the KS project page.

Nope. It's just a quick way of providing a "news" service. We don't really have time to do it as properly as we'd like so sometimes, when I see a game that I feel looks interesting, I copy the salient bits of the press release and post it under news.

I've been doing it a while and this is the first time anyone's said anything about it. It's a fair question though: are you happy with this? Do you find this kind of "news" useful? Would you rather just a link with a brief bit of non-PR detail and opinion? Or no news on new releases at all?

As far as it being on the front page I have no idea but that might just be me screwing things up in the CMS.

More
19 Aug 2018 03:52 #280034 by WadeMonnig
News is news, I like to hear all of it, especially if it sparks my interest. If anyone has an issue with it, I would simply add "so and so has put out a press release regarding blah blah, the full text is below"

More
20 Aug 2018 13:23 #280070 by fightcitymayor

MattDP wrote:

fightcitymayor wrote: Okay, I'll ask: Is this a paid article for the purposes of advertising a Kickstarter project? Because this article is a word-for-word copy/paste from the KS project page.

I've been doing it a while and this is the first time anyone's said anything about it. It's a fair question though: are you happy with this? Do you find this kind of "news" useful? Would you rather just a link with a brief bit of non-PR detail and opinion? Or no news on new releases at all?

Thank you for asking!

It was odd mainly because the front page stuff tends to be articles, and writer contributions, and stuff I classify under the "closely held beliefs" category of honest opinions. When I see a press release, especially a KS copy/paste, I feel like it's promotion masquerading as personal commentary. I kept looking for a "sponsored" tag.

While I do realize there are indeed plenty of sites that do the whole "capsulizing/regurgitating press releases as news" (ICV2, TabletopGamingNews, etc.) I see FAT/TWBG as an "enthusiast site" that might be more helpful if the site writers' articles were separate from the pure copy/paste press release news stuff. By all means have them, but front-paging them muddies the journalistic waters a bit. Maybe a telltale "News/Press Release" tag so people know what they are reading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Aug 2018 14:23 #280074 by Black Barney
yeah it stings a little that this got front page when my review of EIGHTH GRADE didn't :( One of the best movies of this year. And I wrote the review just for this site and this site only.

More
20 Aug 2018 14:44 - 20 Aug 2018 14:45 #280076 by ChristopherMD

MattDP wrote: Or no news on new releases at all?

In my opinion if it hasn't funded then its not a new or upcoming release. So I guess I'd be okay with recently funded game announcements but ads asking for funding should be restricted to our actual advertising system. I also deleted another KS ad from the forums today. We need to be consistent and vigilant or we're just a free marketing tool. That doesn't benefit the website or the members.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2018 14:45 by ChristopherMD.

More
20 Aug 2018 17:17 #280088 by WadeMonnig

Black Barney wrote: yeah it stings a little that this got front page when my review of EIGHTH GRADE didn't :( One of the best movies of this year. And I wrote the review just for this site and this site only.

I'm sure it is just a glitch In the system, my Kemet article was the same way the first day it was up.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds