October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What is your favorite Party Game? Cash N Guns (2nd Edition)

More
20 Aug 2018 19:47 #280168 by WadeMonnig

The latest in "What the hell does this guy like?" series. My current favorite party game is Cash N' Guns (2nd Edition).

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2018 18:37 #280169 by WadeMonnig
Does anyone have a problem with the pointing of foam guns at each other for entertainment? I've never came across anyone who has had an issue in real life but I have seen comments from others online that they don't feel comfortable playing this game.

More
22 Aug 2018 20:16 - 22 Aug 2018 20:17 #280182 by Gary Sax
I could see somebody who has like been tramatized by gun violence in real life, tbh. But that's probably limited. I've never met anyone with that problem. I would still say that for a mass market party take less violent settings are probably a plus.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2018 20:17 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
22 Aug 2018 20:53 #280184 by WadeMonnig
In execution, I have more of an issue with Anomia, where you shout out answers to basic themes. If sometime starts to answer and goes "Oh! , umm, what is it..." I have to mentally allow myself to interrupt them. It's weird that it is so ingrained in me not to interrupt, that I have to make a conscious decision to do it.

More
22 Aug 2018 22:20 #280194 by Colorcrayons

WadeMonnig wrote: Does anyone have a problem with the pointing of foam guns at each other for entertainment? I've never came across anyone who has had an issue in real life but I have seen comments from others online that they don't feel comfortable playing this game.

I love the game, but I inwardly cringe each time a stupid orange foam gun is pointed at me. I dont let it show, but it affects me.
As gary mentioned, its due to trauma. But at least I can bury the discomfort enough to enjoy the game. But there is always that sharp twinge that reminds me I dont like it. Its a confusing mess.

More
23 Aug 2018 07:58 #280207 by SuperflyPete
I like it OK. I used to like it more.

The best party game is still that old Screw Your Neighbor game you play with a poker deck for quarters

More
23 Aug 2018 09:45 #280215 by Shellhead
Ca$h 'n Gun$ is missing one crucial game component, which is fortunately easy to obtain: alcohol. Without alcohol, players are usually too inhibited to really get into the game. They are initially uncomfortable with pointing the guns at each other and laugh nervously, and it really falls short of the inspirational scene from the Reservoir Dogs. With alcohol, players lose some inhibitions and can tap more directly into their basic instincts to kill and fuck each other over.

My copy has been a dusty toad for nearly a decade, but I think it will be a hit with my new boardgaming group. Everybody in that group likes to knock back some fancy microbrews while playing. Nobody got sloppy drunk, but sometimes games slowed down a bit because people were buzzed.

More
23 Aug 2018 09:54 #280216 by SuperflyPete
I’ve actually only played this game once with alcohol in the room, and it has always been a hit.

More
23 Aug 2018 10:04 #280218 by charlest
Yeah it's a good game for sure. I enjoy the first expansion for the new edition as well.

My favorite party game though has to be Time's Up. I've never seen people do some of the outrageous stuff they've pulled in the third round of Time's Up.

More
23 Aug 2018 12:42 #280243 by southernman
Think I've played Cash'n'Guns a long time ago and can't remember not liking it, also liked the Werewolf card game for those large gatherings.

More
23 Aug 2018 15:42 #280253 by SuperflyPete

Shellhead wrote: Without alcohol, players are usually too inhibited to really get into the game. They are initially uncomfortable with pointing the guns at each other and laugh nervously...

With alcohol, players lose some inhibitions and can tap more directly into their basic instincts to kill and fuck each other...

I can’t stop thinking about how fucking vanilla, and I mean as cornbread ass boring these people must be. I don’t mean to throw stones, I really don’t, but if you have a major problem with pointing a FOAM gun at people, while playing a game (and they know they’re playing it) there’s some mental defect there.

Maybe have them point fingers instead?

More
23 Aug 2018 15:47 #280254 by Sagrilarus
Never cared much for it. It's not about the gun thing or the thematics, it's just that it's kind of . . . procedural? Is that the word? It just seems to plug along predictably unless you really go out of your way to do something out of the ordinary. It's a game where someone needs to be Kingmaking in order for it to come alive.

Can't help but think that revised rules with the same components would work better. And I'd love there to be a way to all-or-nothing the result of a round or a game. Seriously, the game needs to be about player elimination.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
23 Aug 2018 16:03 #280256 by Shellhead

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Shellhead wrote: Without alcohol, players are usually too inhibited to really get into the game. They are initially uncomfortable with pointing the guns at each other and laugh nervously...

With alcohol, players lose some inhibitions and can tap more directly into their basic instincts to kill and fuck each other...

I can’t stop thinking about how fucking vanilla, and I mean as cornbread ass boring these people must be. I don’t mean to throw stones, I really don’t, but if you have a major problem with pointing a FOAM gun at people, while playing a game (and they know they’re playing it) there’s some mental defect there.

Maybe have them point fingers instead?

It's not specifically the foam guns, it's the social and cultural aspect:

1. Because I consider Ca$h 'n Gun$ strictly a party game, it's hitting the table when there are plenty of non-gamers and especially women around, so many are unfamiliar with games that feature direct aggression.
2. Aside from the Irish, the most common ethnic groups in Minnesota are the Germans and the various Scandinavians. So there is a strong cultural tendency towards passive aggression and conflict avoidance, even with Minnesotans who aren't even in one of those ethnic groups. I'm sure that my original gaming group back in Indiana would be just fine with this game.
3. Minnesota is still somewhat of a blue state. Even though some of my liberal friends here do go hunting, a lot more of them are very much in favor of strict gun control and don't even want a gun in their home.

More
23 Aug 2018 16:05 #280257 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote: Can't help but think that revised rules with the same components would work better. And I'd love there to be a way to all-or-nothing the result of a round or a game. Seriously, the game needs to be about player elimination.

Every game of it that I have played has featured at least a couple of eliminations. Maybe replace two of the blanks with bangs would up the death toll.

More
23 Aug 2018 20:55 #280269 by SaMoKo
It’s alright. But lately every party game night turns into a match of Cosmic Encounter. Is not really a party game but maybe it is so I’m not gonna argue lol

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds