October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Nexus Ops - Love it or Hate It? Do you Still Play It?

More
13 Sep 2018 13:14 #281586 by ubarose

Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2018 08:55 #281587 by san il defanso
I traded Zooloretto for an in-shrink copy of the AH edition. No regrets, it has become a perennial favorite. It's basically the only Dudes-on-a-map game I genuinely love, because the play style fits my personality so well. Not a ton of planning, dynamic board state, taking advantage of momentary benefits. This is my wheelhouse.

It is in my Top Ten, and it's not going anywhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike

More
14 Sep 2018 08:55 - 14 Sep 2018 08:56 #281588 by Legomancer
I'm not much for Dudes on a Map, but this is the one I prefer. Not too long, gaudy as fuck, easy to pick up, and full of action. Any other DOAM has to beat this and so far there hasn't been much that can.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2018 08:56 by Legomancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike

More
14 Sep 2018 08:59 #281589 by hotseatgames
I have the FFG version. I have never had the pleasure of playing the AH version. I love my game, but I do wish the board tiles weren't so dark.

This is the quintessential DOAM. I will never turn it down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
14 Sep 2018 09:07 #281590 by Josh Look
Still love it and will never turn down a game.

More
14 Sep 2018 09:26 #281591 by jpat
For me, what makes Nexus Ops so prized is that it strips off the chrome and hits the accelerator. Nexus Ops avoids the slow buildup of many/most DoaMs and gets the players at each other almost right away (no hourlong marshaling of forces or engaging with neutrals first). There's a simple but nice exploration element that also helps accelerate the game by introducing tiles that often put new units near the center of the board, which itself isn't too big to traverse relatively easily. There are also a minimum of well-demarcated terrain effects--some flavor and effect but not too much. The king-of-the-hill center space is definitely worth fighting over but not completely dominating strategically. The combat mechanic, though hardly innovative, is simple, engaging, visceral, and "right-sized"; compare it to any of the increasingly baroque FFG approaches from around that time and later to see the difference. The economy is just right, so that you can afford to lose units but not completely waste them. Not only are the units cool as hell (I have the AH edition), but there is just enough differentiation of them to create interest without overwhelming players with incrementally different options. The cards help juice things up just enough with added powers and dole out just the right number of VPs. The game is compact in space and time, and yet it retains, even purifies, the DoaM experience, and I don't recall in about ten plays (I know, not enough, right?) the game ever feeling too short for all that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb, Frohike, Gregarius

More
14 Sep 2018 09:36 #281598 by Michael Barnes
Simply stated, this is the best DOAM game ever published and it is absolutely evergreen. Time has revealed it to be a near perfect distillation of key genre concepts both looking back and forward. I still feel like designers are chasing what this game has already done.

When it came out, I had my store. We got this little demo kit for it. It was like a paper board and two sets of pieces. It looked stupid as hell. But we tried it and everyone loved it. It was like Axis and Allies in some ways, like Twilight Imperium in others, some Risk in there...maybe some Starcraft...it was singular and fresh. And it stil is.

I love that it exists in a perfect state. No expansions. No redevelopments. Only the horribly misguided FFG reprint, which kept the game intact while ruining the visuals. And it’s a total one hit wonder for Charlie Catino, who never did anything else but CCGs. He was involved with the early develoment of Magic.

This is, I think, the only game I have ever owned two copies of. When it went OOP, I bought another one. I still have both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, jeb, Frohike

More
14 Sep 2018 09:42 - 14 Sep 2018 09:42 #281599 by Jexik
Own it. Totally overtraded superfly for it but have no regrets. Probably haven't played it more than once in the past year. I should rectify that.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2018 09:42 by Jexik.

More
14 Sep 2018 10:00 #281601 by stoic
Play it all the time.

It's in my top ten--Near perfect.

Hate the colors of my FFG version.

Love it so much that I 3D printed a monolith.

Attachments:

More
14 Sep 2018 10:28 #281605 by Ah_Pook
Love it, don't play it nearly enough since most people I play with don't really like direct conflict games. It distills the doam experience down to pure fun imo.

I made a custom black light monolith for it, even.

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Brewmiester, Jexik, Frohike, engineer Al, Gregarius

More
14 Sep 2018 10:34 #281606 by ubarose
Wow, all these custom monoliths are impressive. We just use a shot glass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, WadeMonnig

More
14 Sep 2018 12:56 #281615 by jeb
AH owner here, box is taped, I have cool purple plastic gems for the money. I play this probably 10x a year. It's a truly beautiful game on the table and it plays light and is fun as hell. THIS is my gateway game, honestly. When folks want to know what my little hobby is about, I have them play NEXUS OPS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
14 Sep 2018 14:36 #281620 by Ken B.
There is an undeniable and untouchable genius to this game. It's so much fun. Awesome combat, surprising cardplay, shifting objectives, fast playing time. The game essentially starts and hits the ground running immediately.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
14 Sep 2018 14:36 #281621 by Colorcrayons
Ive only played it once a couple moons ago for the first time in the last couple years.

Still solid as hell. I played it a bit too much however, so I burnt out on it a bit.

I have rethemed this game twice. Once as an early Edo period themed game using components from Shogun/samurai swords. And the second time as StarCraft using the FFG StarCraft components. I never quite finished the StarCraft version, but the Edo version is done.

I also made larger hex tiles that were sculpted to mimic the AH version. They were larger hexes because I was tired of the crowding problem. I sold those off but still possess the molds.

I still have a copy of the AG version in shrink.

I like a few things that FFG did with it though. Like adding a couple extra exploration tiles, so that you ate never sure what the last time will reveal, unlike the AH version. That does add a fair amount of tension and something I wanted to do to my own. The alternate maelstrom/monolith rules aren't bad either. Otherwise, the FFG version can be lost in time and forgotten merely because the board tiles are egregious.

This game survived the Cull of 2013, from 250 titles down to 20.

I may not play it alot, but there is no better title than Nexus Ops to fill that niche, though many have tried. It will absolutely never leave my collection. It is a top ten and compulsory ameritrash game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, stoic

More
14 Sep 2018 15:06 - 14 Sep 2018 15:07 #281626 by Jexik
After the so-far unanimous approval here, I decided to check out what the BGG hivemind gave it- and it's right at 350, with games like Citadels, Roborally and Thurn & Taxis.

And Concordia is 22?! What.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2018 15:07 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds