October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Nexus Ops - Love it or Hate It? Do you Still Play It?

More
14 Sep 2018 22:09 #281651 by SaMoKo

jeb wrote: I can't fault the complaints. The game is pretty simple at its core and can be swingy as hell if your white-point objectives line up. But it's just so good. It's not trying to be a three-hour slugfest between genius tacticians. It's just trying to have cool fights between spider guys and lizard guys, with a dragon guy shooting some lava here and there.

Like most games, I’ll play and have fun with it if it’s in front of me. I’m a gamer, it’s a rare game I dislike enough that I’d have more fun doing nothing (ie, Hansa Teutonica). It’s just not generally gonna be my pick when my rotation of picking a game comes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whoshim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2018 23:41 #281654 by Sevej
Really liking it. It's got the whole thing, except for research/tech tree. Every unit is different & useful, terrain types are interesting, cards are powerful, and you can make combos with the objectives.

More
15 Sep 2018 00:38 #281656 by SaMoKo
Shit, I just remembered by favourite DOAM style game. Circus Imperium, and obscure old game about futuristic chariots racing and gladiators slaughtering each other. Maybe it's more a racing game but I dont care. It was pure black tar Ameritrash. That game rocked and I wish I could find it again :(

More
15 Sep 2018 05:00 - 15 Sep 2018 05:01 #281657 by Aarontu
I still love Nexus Ops. It fast and fun, and feels more like StarCraft than StarCraft the board game did.

While we're sharing our monoliths, here's mine that I made last year. I carved it from wood and painted it and attached some plastic crystals and greenish uranium glass bits that glow under the black light.
Warning: Spoiler!
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Sep 2018 05:01 by Aarontu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Sagrilarus, Frohike, engineer Al, stoic

More
15 Sep 2018 22:30 - 15 Sep 2018 22:36 #281691 by heruca
I love this game, would never turn it down.

Most of the comments here are spot on about what makes it so great.

I prefer the AH version, and think the FFG version looks like someone puked.

But I never really liked the sci-fi theme, so I created a medieval re-theme that I called Feudal Ops . Unfortunately, it only exists in digital, not physical, form. It's a free download from my site.

Last edit: 15 Sep 2018 22:36 by heruca.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, Whoshim

More
15 Sep 2018 22:50 #281692 by dysjunct
I am pretty lukewarm about the game. I bought the AH one when it was $12 and then sold it a year later. Then I bought the FFG one when everyone kept gushing about it. And sold it a year later.

It is okay but super light. It is basically Fightin’ Yachtzee: roll some dice and make some mostly obvious decisions. That is fine but I’d rather play almost anything else. I would rather play San Juan or Love Letter or something.

More
16 Sep 2018 21:25 #281718 by jeb

dysjunct wrote: It is okay but super light. It is basically Fightin’ Yachtzee: roll some dice and make some mostly obvious decisions. That is fine but I’d rather play almost anything else. I would rather play San Juan or Love Letter or something.

It's not my fault you're wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Not Sure, Colorcrayons

More
17 Sep 2018 04:30 #281728 by Matt Thrower
Still great, still sees play, still impressive with a clever combination of traditional DOAM tropes alongside just enough streamlining and mechanical balancing to keep rogue dice in check. Chaining a series of objectives in one round for a victory out of nowhere is a magnificent moment.

The only other game that can challenge it is Risk: Legacy. But that's Legacy, which is great but makes it more of an occasion game. There's never not a great time to play Nexus Ops.

More
17 Sep 2018 09:08 #281741 by Jexik

Whoshim wrote: I found NexusOps unsatisfying. I won the first multiplayer game that I played even though I was basically destroyed. I was able to get points through the cards matching up pretty exactly with what I was able to do each turn. It just felt weird to me to lose so much but still win the game. It was not satisfying. I think I only played one game after that.

Yeah, it's really more of an objective based thing. If you're expecting the guy with the most dudes on the map to win, he's doing it wrong. You get points for attacking people and accomplishing things, not waiting until you die of sun cancer in Australia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Colorcrayons, Whoshim

More
17 Sep 2018 19:43 #281783 by Whoshim

Jexik wrote:

Whoshim wrote: I found NexusOps unsatisfying. I won the first multiplayer game that I played even though I was basically destroyed. I was able to get points through the cards matching up pretty exactly with what I was able to do each turn. It just felt weird to me to lose so much but still win the game. It was not satisfying. I think I only played one game after that.

Yeah, it's really more of an objective based thing. If you're expecting the guy with the most dudes on the map to win, he's doing it wrong. You get points for attacking people and accomplishing things, not waiting until you die of sun cancer in Australia.

Yeah. I thought objectives would make it better, but it just felt a bit too random for me. I think the idea of being able to win without dominating the entire board is a good one. However, I was able to win while being dominated (from a military perspective).

I think that objectives usually make military games better ("kill them all" is my preferred way to play Heroscape though). I would be willing to play Nexus Ops again, but I don't know anyone who has it. I might find that my opinion of it changes, but I have enough games that I really like that I am not interested in tracking down a copy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds