October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Root Review

More
19 Sep 2018 02:00 #281928 by Michael Barnes
Root Review was created by Michael Barnes

The best and most important game of 2018.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2018 20:52 #281929 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Root Review
So is there enough cardboard inside the box to give it enough value for the money?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, SaMoKo

More
19 Sep 2018 21:07 #281930 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Root Review

Gary Sax wrote: So is there enough cardboard inside the box to give it enough value for the money?

This. Do one of those box opening reviews and finish by slowly pouring the contents onto an exotic bed while purring about the future resale value
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
19 Sep 2018 21:07 #281931 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Root Review
Should I sell my backup guitar to buy this?

More
19 Sep 2018 23:05 #281937 by Gary Sax
No.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
20 Sep 2018 04:15 #281938 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Root Review

I love teaching this game, even though it is something a challenge because you have up to four players each playing, essentially, a unique set of rules overlaying a central design.

This is really interesting because that's essentially how another Leder Games title, Vast, works. I think I described it as something like every player having their own rules, and the game falling out of the parts where those rules intersect. It's quite the most innovative design I've played in years, although it's clunky and quite hard to teach and learn.

Yet although Root and Vast are from the same publisher, they've got different designers. I wonder what the story is here? An in-house development synergy, perhaps? Or maybe a case of the one game inspiring greater heights in the other.

Got a copy en-Root (see what I did there?) so hopefully I'll get the chance yo explore this myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
20 Sep 2018 04:52 - 20 Sep 2018 04:53 #281939 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Root Review
I could be wrong but I've got the impression the company is pretty much aiming to make asymmetric games the only thing they do.

Wehrle, the designer of Root, got a full time job with them and i think was already working on it as a more accesible COIN style thing, and yes, I think probably building on what Vast had done too.

I think that's the gist of it anyway. Pretty sure I've heard both him and the Vast guy interviewed together on some podcast.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2018 04:53 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
20 Sep 2018 06:32 #281941 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Root Review
Looking forward to playing this one as I absolutely agree with Michael's assessment (from afar anyway).

And yes, Leder Games is all about asymmetry in their published games.

But how can we not address the most salacious aspect of Root? It's plagiarism! www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1944526/official-status-deep
The board game industry is still so small and messy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, GorillaGrody, mc

More
20 Sep 2018 06:38 #281943 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Root Review
Wow. Interesting reading... cheers for that, I hadn't come across any of that.

More
20 Sep 2018 07:49 - 20 Sep 2018 07:50 #281944 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Root Review
So Michael (or anyone else)... does Root fire any games for you?
Last edit: 20 Sep 2018 07:50 by hotseatgames.

More
20 Sep 2018 08:12 #281945 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Root Review

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, GorillaGrody

More
20 Sep 2018 08:22 #281946 by GorillaGrody
Replied by GorillaGrody on topic Root Review

hotseatgames wrote: So Michael (or anyone else)... does Root fire any games for you?

I'm familiar only with Fire in the Lake and Cuba Libre, of the COIN games. My gripe with them is that they are designed by the same sort of designers who cut their teeth on the "simplicity" of wargames featuring stuff like the Battle of the Bulge. When these designers sit down to design games around the liberatory struggles of the Viet Cong or of the the anti-capitalist forces of revolutionary Cuba, they treat them as orders of magnitude more complicated than a traditional wargame. This complication constitutes a critique, acknowledging the failure of liberatory movements over the course of history.

Imagine that we needed to play out the Battle of the Bulge with the full knowledge that, 70 years later, fascism would be ascendant around the world, because, you know, war is complicated. I find the level of abstraction found in Root totally refreshing, by comparison. And cute.

TLDR: COIN is complex to a fault. Root has l'il cutey-cute baby animals. Fired.

More
20 Sep 2018 08:40 - 20 Sep 2018 09:16 #281947 by Gary Sax

stoic wrote: .

Usually yes? But I don't see how a 30 minute 3-4 player game automatically ends up a toad.

Edit: 90, thanks Charlie. My point still stands, I think.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2018 09:16 by Gary Sax.

More
20 Sep 2018 09:00 #281949 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Root Review

Gary Sax wrote:

stoic wrote: .

Usually yes? But I don't see how a 30 minute 3-4 player game automatically ends up a toad.

It's a 90 minute game typically (120 in my one five player game), with three player possibly being as quick as 70ish minutes. Two player is 45-60, and while not awful, I wouldn't go to this as a two player game regularly.

More
20 Sep 2018 10:33 #281951 by BaronDonut
Replied by BaronDonut on topic Root Review

GorillaGrody wrote: When these designers sit down to design games around the liberatory struggles of the Viet Cong or of the the anti-capitalist forces of revolutionary Cuba, they treat them as orders of magnitude more complicated than a traditional wargame. This complication constitutes a critique, acknowledging the failure of liberatory movements over the course of history.

Hey GG, can you elaborate a bit more on this? I don't totally understand the connection you're making between complexity and critique.

In my (our?) limited COIN experience, they seem to be more of a sidewise step in complexity to their more traditional brethren, choosing to focus their mechanics on interplay between political entities than, say, the fire rates and effective distances of different automatic rifles. To me, this kind of complexity generates a more productive and critical engagement with historical conflict; it's why Fire in the Lake is a better Vietnam game than the ones that treat American forces and VC as equivalent shirts-and-skins chits on a map.

Of course, maybe you're not talking about mechanical complexity? Maybe it's in the framing of the conflict? Or maybe representing any of this in a simulationist way is inherently anti-revolutionary?

Will 100% agree with you that cute animals are always better, though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds