October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Hunt for Blackbeard : A Simulation of the True Events of 1718 added to GMT's P500

More
28 Oct 2018 13:01 #284884 by repoman
Hunt for Blackbeard is a two-player boardgame that portrays the effort in 1718 by the colony of Virginia and the Royal Navy to track down the notorious pirate Blackbeard (Edward Teach) as he sought refuge in colonial North Carolina. It features the historical events, places, and personages involved in Blackbeard’s demise 300 years ago, and the real-world challenges of “golden-age” piracy and pirate hunting.
Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2018 20:52 #284885 by Gary Sax
This kind of stuff is exactly why I like GMT. My spouse and I listened to a book on this period and it was fascinating... I could see where it would make a good game with the cat and mouse element.

More
29 Oct 2018 17:54 #284915 by repoman
I agree. The whole story of Blackbeard is fascinating but especially after he accepted "amnesty" and they decided to hunt him down anyway. Guy was neigh impossible to kill. Took something like 7 sword wounds to finally put him down. If not 7, then certainly more than one which is all it would take for the likes of me.

Anyway, I think this game would have great cross over appeal. Too bad GMT never seems to see the light in marketing to people outside of wargamers though.

First, ditch "A simulation of.." and replace with "A thrilling game of...".

Second get rid of that engraving for box art and get an artist to make something exciting like Blackbeard and Johnny Do-gooder having a sword duel upon the deck of a ship!

Thirdly, a board that stepped outside of GMT "Holding Box Heaven" philosophy wouldn't hurt either but, with this game, who knows how feasible that would be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Oct 2018 19:22 #284921 by Gary Sax
Yeah, I could see a more outsider friendly package for something like this for sure. Depends on actual weight of game too.

And any game company that has the stand alone Flying Colors game with South American countries fighting with tall ships has my heart...

More
29 Oct 2018 22:14 #284928 by Not Sure
We should fix the "Backbeard" typo in the title, it makes him sound like he has a mullet.

Can't be helping SEO much either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Oct 2018 05:34 #284930 by repoman
Oh you and your letters and your fixation on proper spelling...blah blah. Somebody fixed it up in the article but this thread seems to be stuck with the missing L

More
30 Oct 2018 10:39 #284939 by Chaz

repoman wrote: I agree. The whole story of Blackbeard is fascinating but especially after he accepted "amnesty" and they decided to hunt him down anyway. Guy was neigh impossible to kill. Took something like 7 sword wounds to finally put him down. If not 7, then certainly more than one which is all it would take for the likes of me.

Anyway, I think this game would have great cross over appeal. Too bad GMT never seems to see the light in marketing to people outside of wargamers though.

First, ditch "A simulation of.." and replace with "A thrilling game of...".

Second get rid of that engraving for box art and get an artist to make something exciting like Blackbeard and Johnny Do-gooder having a sword duel upon the deck of a ship!

Thirdly, a board that stepped outside of GMT "Holding Box Heaven" philosophy wouldn't hurt either but, with this game, who knows how feasible that would be.

Really, you'd probably need to replace GMT's entire approach to visual design and rulebook writing. Which isn't happening. I like a bunch of GMT games, but man, their visual design is mostly awful.

More
07 Nov 2018 12:27 #285499 by Unicron
I will let you know how it is. We should be playtesting this week. I envision a Terry Leeds map for this, which would look great, but I'm not anxious to seem some swashbuckling BS box art. Having read a draft of the rules, this looks very good, and could definitely have a broader appeal if marketed correctly.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds