October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

A Knockdown and Rebuild of My Game Collection

More
05 Nov 2018 15:19 #285343 by Erik Twice

Michael Barnes wrote: Man, the visual noise bugs me. I love my games, but I don’t love my living space looking like a free for all bachelor pad or hoarder nest and piles of games have that look. I am 100 percent a kid at heart but I like for my living spaces to look stylish and adult.

I can see where you come from, but I don't think games look poor on shelves. Of course, I'm also like ten years younger than you and my room looks like a NASA launch site with all the screens I have lying around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2018 15:43 #285347 by Sagrilarus

Erik Twice wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Man, the visual noise bugs me. I love my games, but I don’t love my living space looking like a free for all bachelor pad or hoarder nest and piles of games have that look. I am 100 percent a kid at heart but I like for my living spaces to look stylish and adult.

I can see where you come from, but I don't think games look poor on shelves. Of course, I'm also like ten years younger than you and my room looks like a NASA launch site with all the screens I have lying around.

Game boxes are garish on purpose, in order to catch your attention in a store. They're the shape they are for a reason as well, because when they're a thick square instead of a flat rectangle they get displayed standing up on a wall or aisle unit of some sort. There's a whole science to this. Packages are made to sell, the fact that you need to store them afterwards isn't part of the equation because the publisher really doesn't care what you do with them once the check clears.

I would always store vertically end-on because it eliminates most of the package. But some still remains and with each game presenting a different color palette and generally screaming for you to look at it it can become overwhelming. Granted, I'm 54 and I'm looking for a more pastoral existence at this stage of life. This enclosed solution really looks erudite and calming.

I've always joked that if I ever get to be on one of those boardgaming videos where you stand in front of your shelves and talk that I was going to remove every single game except Nexus Ops. While everyone else is trying to impress you with who they are by how many games they can have in the shot (and damn, nearly every frikkin' video has that wall of games behind it) I'd rather just have an empty background with one game that I think really makes a statement. Someone might actually spend the time listening to me instead of scanning the screen for titles the whole time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
05 Nov 2018 16:19 - 05 Nov 2018 16:20 #285350 by Space Ghost
You could always display them with the blending ombre color effect, like people do with bookcases

www.theforestfeast.com/blog/2018/5/11/co...avorite-spring-dress
Last edit: 05 Nov 2018 16:20 by Space Ghost.

More
05 Nov 2018 16:32 #285352 by the_jake_1973
We are lucky enough to have a closet in the library where the games are stored away from view. My old AH bookcase games are the only ones I would consider putting on the library shelves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
05 Nov 2018 16:44 - 05 Nov 2018 16:45 #285356 by Space Ghost
If we ever move, and I am forced to have games not in a pseudo-storage area, there will be a massive reduction. Growing up, we always stored our games under the bed, in a trunk, and in the back of the closet (I had a closet under the stairs, so that was where the big MB games were). I probably had 20 or 30 games under my bed (Clue, etc.) -- would have to shimmy under there and dig everything out to get to what I was looking for (and where the hell else were you supposed to store Battle Masters?). My bookshelves had some D&D modules, Feudal, and Wizard's Quest on it -- the rest were books.

If I had them in a living area, then I would either go with Sag's solution, which is nice or I would go with cabinets with doors on them (excepting some bookcase like games -- like the old AH or 3M titles).
Last edit: 05 Nov 2018 16:45 by Space Ghost.

More
05 Nov 2018 17:28 #285362 by san il defanso
I actually keep ours in the master bedroom, which my wife is very understanding about. They are there mostly because we run an air conditioner in there every night and it keeps the tropical humidity from molding everything.

I cut my collection down a lot before moving to the Philippines, and it felt good. You do, however, hit the point where you just don't want to cut anymore. I thought about this the other day, about selling off stuff like Merchants and Marauders (its been well over 2 years since I've played). But games like that represent a connection to a time before culture shock, and I don't want to let that go.

More
05 Nov 2018 17:45 #285366 by repoman

WadeMonnig wrote: Thurn and taxis AND an expansion? *whispered* Do the other members know?
I totally want shadows over Camelot though ;) why does no one in my area ever sell that for a decent price?

If you seriously want it, Wade. I'll send you my copy. PM me your address.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
05 Nov 2018 17:47 #285367 by Jackwraith

Space Ghost wrote: You could always display them with the blending ombre color effect, like people do with bookcases

Ha. A friend of mine made that comment when he and his wife moved into their house, as it had been built with embedded bookcases all around the living room. She, of course, took up his pseudo-dare and did sort their considerable library by color. He still has trouble finding things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
05 Nov 2018 17:50 #285369 by Space Ghost

Jackwraith wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: You could always display them with the blending ombre color effect, like people do with bookcases

Ha. A friend of mine made that comment when he and his wife moved into their house, as it had been built with embedded bookcases all around the living room. She, of course, took up his pseudo-dare and did sort their considerable library by color. He still has trouble finding things.

That would drive me nuts. Our bookcases are divided by topic and then alphabetized — searching by color would be exhausting
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Nov 2018 18:01 #285370 by Shellhead
My gaming area is the basement. Dark wood paneling and carpeting in the finished section. Long Ikea table selected for the ability to hold Arkham Horror plus all expansions for eight players. I paid an electrician to upgrade the light fixture above the table and use daylight-type flourescent tubes. Even there, the games on display are in shelving units over in the corner of the L-shaped finished area. Then I have probably three large storage totes of games that I should probably sell off some day.

More
05 Nov 2018 20:01 #285375 by ubarose
Meh. The garishness of the boxes is the least of my worries. It's all the empty bottles that are the eyesore.

Collections just expand to fit whatever space you have. Having overflow space makes it worse. I really have to go do battle with our storage, but I'm just not up to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
05 Nov 2018 22:08 #285382 by dysjunct
The one time I played Thurn & Taxis, a friend’s girlfriend was teaching it to everyone and she was super excited because she’d just discovered nerd games. She mentioned that this line of cards was called the Route Row, and I immediately (and thoughtlessly/reflexively) said “rooh row!” like Scooby Doo. Everyone laughed and she was deflated but continued teaching it. I felt like an ass and I still came in second.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al, WadeMonnig

More
09 Nov 2018 10:22 #285775 by Cranberries

Space Ghost wrote:

Jackwraith wrote:

That would drive me nuts. Our bookcases are divided by topic and then alphabetized — searching by color would be exhausting

You would want to put a book scanning app on your phone, scan each book and tag it with a color and approximate location.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost

More
09 Nov 2018 11:23 #285787 by Space Ghost

CranBerries wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Jackwraith wrote:

You would want to put a book scanning app on your phone, scan each book and tag it with a color and approximate location.

We have now officially identified the limits to my OCD regarding books.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
10 Nov 2018 14:55 #285867 by Pat II
I'm down to maybe 30 plus miniature games. Started selling on Facebook and they flew at good prices. If I can't have a game behind a cupboard door I don't need it. It's amazing every week we realize we're never going to play the games we have and yet more are bought. I've given up on that. Sell sell sell and seriously limit new stuff. Money is better spent elsewhere than on a shrink wrapped door stopper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds