October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Masque of the Red Death Board Game Review

More
05 Nov 2018 23:00 #285478 by WadeMonnig

The Masquerade is about to begin. All the attendants sneak glances at the time, awaiting the arrival of Prince Prospero. As the clock strikes 8:00, the prince arrives, draped in his regal attire and everyone jostles for position, pressing close to his majesty. A witty quip and a subtle flirt bring a smile and a chuckle from the Prince. As he slowly moves away, the socialites plan how they can next meet with him, preferably alone, in hopes of currying his favor.

A glance at the clock shows it is 8:30…*booming disembodied voice* Aww, hell, the clock hand has fallen victim to gravity again. What time is it supposed to be? 8:10? Ok, put it back to 8:10 and don’t bump the table.” “I swear I didn’t touch the table! What room does he go to next? The bicycle room?” “Dude, that’s not a bicycle, its spectacles”

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2018 08:47 - 07 Nov 2018 11:20 #285479 by Sagrilarus
"Masque of the Red Death’s luck just sticks out more because it is back loaded at the end of the game, when everything is on the line."

Well that gives me something to think about this morning.

Really an interesting subject matter for a game, and I don't mean that in a good way. Though I appreciate that Horror has been a mainstay in the industry, this particular Poe title isn't as much about horror as it is social commentary, where the horror is more about how the people in the story are behaving than how it ends. Anyone who has read so much as one Poe poem prior to this (or, frankly, has heard of him) knows how the story is going to end.

Interesting choice for review, and well delivered for a game that really appears to be a mixed bag.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2018 11:20 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
07 Nov 2018 19:30 #285543 by WadeMonnig

Sagrilarus wrote: "Masque of the Red Death’s luck just sticks out more because it is back loaded at the end of the game, when everything is on the line."

Well that gives me something to think about this morning.

Really an interesting subject matter for a game, and I don't mean that in a good way. Though I appreciate that Horror has been a mainstay in the industry, this particular Poe title isn't as much about horror as it is social commentary, where the horror is more about how the people in the story are behaving than how it ends. Anyone who has read so much as one Poe poem prior to this (or, frankly, has heard of him) knows how the story is going to end.

Interesting choice for review, and well delivered for a game that really appears to be a mixed bag.

I have no insight whatsoever on the actual making of the game but I would suspect it went something like "Hmmm, this is in Public Domain, it has name recognition. Let's try to build around that." As you said, it's an interesting choice for a theme. It requires a "bit" of suspension of belief. They recommend reading the (included) short story before beginning, so you KNOW what is coming but you are still going to try to butter up the Prince to gain favor? I pretty safe in assuming that any sane person would be gathering intel to try to save their self. I just went with "We've heard rumors of death arriving, isn't that a load of poppycock? We heard he will be in the library at 12:20m, isn't that crazy? Hahaha."

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds