Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 16 Nov 2018 07:49 #286252

New Dawn is also interesting in that it pushes you in a sort of Knizian way of having to develop a well rounded civ. You can't just hammer science or military over and over, and even if you don't want to care about sending out trade caravans, eventually your card will be in slot 5 and you'll want it out of there. In order for that to not be a wasted action, you want to use it in *some* way to improve your position. This appeals to me because, thematically, I want a civilization that actually provides things for its people instead of just pumping out archers or monuments over and over.
  • Legomancer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 2498
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, Frohike

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 16 Nov 2018 07:54 #286253

Sagrilarus wrote:
You're the only guys on the Internet talking about the spirit of games. That shouldn't be the case. Everyone else focuses on mechanical aspects or the pretty parts. To your credit you make this look easy, but apparently it's not because no one else has caught on.

I've looked in on other gaming communities and they mostly make me think of this:

Just rattling off stats, checking the "played" box, and then moving on. At most you get "I had fun" or "tough decisions". Very few actually make me think it makes any difference what they're playing and that this could easily have been anything else.

This podcast is a godsend for that.
  • Legomancer
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 2498
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, Frohike, engineer Al

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 18 Nov 2018 14:02 #286375

We've just had a 4-player game of FFG's Sid Meiers Civ with both expansions, it took about 6 hours with a few breaks but was enjoyed by all. I couldn't imagine doing a Civ in a couple of hours - but horses for courses,
  • southernman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • TOTALLY WiReD
  • Thank you received: 669
Konieczkarian
F:ATies 'Spawn of Ameritrash' Worldwide Map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe...7e41fde832d5ff51&z=2

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 22 Nov 2018 21:15 #286710

Found a like new copy of Star Trek:A for 25. Going to pick it up tomorrow.Expansions, do I need any particular ones?
  • WadeMonnig
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 246

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 23 Nov 2018 05:09 #286712

You don't NEED any of the expansions unless you plan to play with more than 3 people. I don't mind the higher player count but some do due to increased down time and a much tighter playing area/map.

That being said, both Ferngi and Cardassians are really well done and well thought out factions and if you like the game you won't be sorry that you bought them. The Borg I have not played with. I don't think the game needs an NPC "jam car" but that's an opinion formed by reading not playing.
  • repoman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Filthy Trucker
  • Thank you received: 2661
All Hammers All the Time
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 23 Nov 2018 05:09 #286713

WadeMonnig wrote:
Found a like new copy of Star Trek:A for 25. Going to pick it up tomorrow.Expansions, do I need any particular ones?

Its only 3 players without an expansion so you'll need one if you want to play with 4.
  • ChristopherMD
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Road Warrior
  • Thank you received: 2232
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 23 Nov 2018 08:27 #286714

The Ferengi and the Cardassians are 100% worth it, even if you don’t want to play with more than 3.

Also, don’t go out of your way to play with more than 3. 4 at the most, but only once you’re pretty experienced with the game. Never 5. NEVER FIVE.

The Borg are cool but they’re better once you’ve played a bunch. You have a few options on how you use them and it’s kind of preference on what kind of game you want, so again, something you’ll only want once you know the game. I find them to be best when they aren’t the focus of the game. If your go for the option where they start out on the table, the whole game is about the Borg. On the other hand, the threat of potentially running into them is amazing and everyone putting aside differences to deal with them is a really interesting thing that can happen.
  • Josh Look
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Heretic
  • Thank you received: 1750
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, WadeMonnig

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 23 Nov 2018 11:09 #286719

I was...er...drinking last night and misread that Vulcan High Command was out. I was like, Damn, they didn't mention this one, I wonder how good it is. You guys did a great job of describing the other races in the pod cast. I'd love a 4th player and was looking at the "escalation packs" about adding moar stuff to the base. Don't drink and shop kiddos.
  • WadeMonnig
  • D6

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 23 Nov 2018 11:25 #286722

I did the escalation packs because we've actually run out of Klingon ships before, so I figured I'd just cover my bases with the other four races, too. And, because I had the money, I went on the dice, too. It's pretty cool to be able to roll your Cardassian or Romulan dice against your opponents. The only thing I haven't gone for is the space stations, which are VERY cool, but a number of people on BGG have complained about poor resin casts, so I'm holding off for a while. Just waiting on Vulcans and Andorians...
  • Jackwraith
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ninja
  • Thank you received: 1491
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 23 Nov 2018 11:43 #286726

So, extra starting resources.

Yay or Nay?
  • Disgustipater
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Dapper Deep One
  • Thank you received: 977

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 23 Nov 2018 14:12 #286731

I don't think extra starting resources are needed. In some games, which take a much longer time, I get that you want a "fast start" which cuts out 3 or 4 turns of what is essentially solitaire exploration or where the first turn or two is pretty scripted. I think Star Trek Ascendancy is fast enough that it's not needed.

The extra ship packs, I'm philosophically opposed to. I think the hard limit on ships sort of forces players to act rather than to turtle and build enormous amounts of ships. Like "free parking" rewards in Monopoly they would prolong the game rather than enhance it. That being said, playing as Cardassians, it's a big drag to run out of ships because you've got yoru slave masters watching over your lazy subjects.
  • repoman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Filthy Trucker
  • Thank you received: 2661
All Hammers All the Time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, engineer Al

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 23 Nov 2018 16:56 #286736

WadeMonnig wrote:
Turns out it is NIS...box is huugge
  • WadeMonnig
  • D6

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 23 Nov 2018 17:31 #286738

WadeMonnig wrote:
WadeMonnig wrote:
Turns out it is NIS...box is huugge

I hate the box. Both its size and quality.
  • ChristopherMD
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Road Warrior
  • Thank you received: 2232
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 23 Nov 2018 18:33 #286741

Disgustipater wrote:
So, extra starting resources.

Yay or Nay?

Huge nay. Extra starting resources are for the weak.

EDIT-Unless you’re playing with the Borg starting on the board. The game is pretty much impossible in that case without the extra resources.
  • Josh Look
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Heretic
  • Thank you received: 1750
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.
Last Edit: 23 Nov 2018 18:34 by Josh Look.

It Came From the Tabletop! - Star Trek: Ascendancy and Civilization: A New Dawn 24 Nov 2018 18:52 #286769

Another great episode. I like the two game per episode format
  • flim_flam
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 79
I ate a large quantity of sausage before I came...
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds