October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Many Keyforge Players Are Asking the Questions...

More
13 Dec 2018 08:18 #288059 by Vysetron

Michael Barnes wrote: The best ones I’ve seen are these things called Burger Tokens...they are those plastic dome like stickers and you put one on both sides of a penny. They are $20. But yeah, the third party market for Keyforge accessories is in full swing.

The Cadillac option is the Team Covenanr set, which includes randomly generated Æmber tokens...but they are mad expensive.

I’m still just using dice...

Don't buy TC's tokens for this. They're so hard to read and they cost roughly 3x as much as a good set if you want to actually get enough tokens.

Dice are fine unless you're going to an FFG event. I bought a $8 bag of 150 crystal-looking vase fillers and they've been perfect. Gave a bunch of them away at a tournament, kept enough for two players.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2018 09:41 #288068 by Sagrilarus
My son found images of the tokens on the Internet and printed some. Cheap and quick, don't have to leave the house.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
13 Dec 2018 10:23 - 13 Dec 2018 11:26 #288070 by RobertB
The tournament I went to last Saturday had eight players, and everyone had a different system. I had a mix of those yellow rocks shown earlier, and a bunch of cubes pulled out of a completed game of Pandemic: Legacy.

ETA: the best system I saw was a 2-quart tupperware bowl full of dice of all colors and denominations, and the translucent rocks in red and yellow. Yellow was amber, red was keys, and dice were anything else - chains, stuns, damage, etc. I wouldn't use it myself, because I don't want to dig two quarts of dice out of all my games. But its flexibility was very nice.
Last edit: 13 Dec 2018 11:26 by RobertB.

More
13 Dec 2018 10:51 #288074 by barrowdown
A guy from my group 3d printed the keys in different colors and laser etched acrylic and painted in the etching for the amber. He made a set for everyone in my game group. It's super awesome.

More
13 Dec 2018 10:54 #288075 by Michael Barnes
I think I’m going to get amber-ish D6s for that- if it’s moved off your deck card, it’s a forged key. Red D10s for wounds. Put any die on top of a deck for chains. Stun, Card is upside down.

More
21 Dec 2018 00:13 #288586 by SaMoKo
Upside down for stun seemed so obvious I was surprised it's not standard. We just started doing it.

Im not sure on the longevity of this one. It's fun and accessible, but it feels like something is missing. There's depth to the house system, and I feel it's an improvement to mana. The board control fight can get intense - a bit prone to landslides once one deck gains momentum, but that is standard in card games. Where it feels a bit odd is in the lack of reactions, and I'm not sure how they would tie it in unless chains become involved. At which point the tradeoff may not be worthwhile.

Sanctum, Shadows, and Dis feel like really strong houses.

More
21 Dec 2018 07:15 #288592 by stormseeker75
Hearthstone hasn't ever had things you could do on your opponent's turn and that's been going on for a long time now. I'm thinking they'll be fine. Just need to come up with a variety of different organized play options. You need one for powerhouse decks and one for junk. People just want to play. Should be fun to see what they do with all that.

More
21 Dec 2018 07:18 #288593 by SaMoKo
Lack of interrupts is preferable for online play. And as Barnes said, that’s where they could take this. It would do well on that format, and the QR scan seems like the logical first step.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
21 Dec 2018 08:09 #288595 by RobertB
stormseeker75 wrote:

Just need to come up with a variety of different organized play options. You need one for powerhouse decks and one for junk. People just want to play. Should be fun to see what they do with all that.

The game store owned by a FOAF is doing two formats: Sealed, where you buy and register your deck right there, and Archon, where you bring the deck you want to play. There was some discussion about a format where each player breaks out three decks, and then auctions happen for the right to ban one of the three decks.

More
21 Dec 2018 09:08 #288597 by charlest
The Archon format sucks. It's neat, because I'd love to bring one of my favorite decks and sort of put my relationship with it through the ringer and flex skill, but the local tournaments I've seen (at Miniature Market and other FLGS') are dominated by the loop decks and lame shit. That logos combo where you can draw your entire deck into your hand has won multiple tournaments here and it's very annoying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
21 Dec 2018 11:49 #288602 by jeb
We use a marker for Stun in our house because things like Taunt matter even if it's stunned. Like TWENTY YEARS AGO, oh my god, I got this little Plano box called the Magician's Toolkit that I've been using for every busy game for years. It's got a bunch of beads of different colors, a handful of tokens labeled 0/1 and 1/1 that are orientable, a d6, and a d8. It's been awesome. For us, the little blue beads are æmber, greens are +1s, black is Stun, red is damage, and the tokens are forged keys. Some of the beads are small and numerous, like blue, others are big chunky things like black that convey meaning just by their size.

The image here shows something similar. boardgamegeek.com/image/1814514/chrisbender

I really recommend finding/making one of these kits. Super handy.

More
21 Dec 2018 13:42 #288609 by Shellhead

jeb wrote: We use a marker for Stun in our house because things like Taunt matter even if it's stunned. Like TWENTY YEARS AGO, oh my god, I got this little Plano box called the Magician's Toolkit that I've been using for every busy game for years. It's got a bunch of beads of different colors, a handful of tokens labeled 0/1 and 1/1 that are orientable, a d6, and a d8. It's been awesome. For us, the little blue beads are æmber, greens are +1s, black is Stun, red is damage, and the tokens are forged keys. Some of the beads are small and numerous, like blue, others are big chunky things like black that convey meaning just by their size.

The image here shows something similar. boardgamegeek.com/image/1814514/chrisbender

I really recommend finding/making one of these kits. Super handy.

That's lot to remember. Maybe you could make a cheat sheet card that identifies what each token represents, so you and your opponent both know what is going on.

An early issue of Duellist magazine had an insert page with custom tokens for the current Magic expansion set that came out around that time. The tokens were printed on heavy stock with a glossy coating, in full color, and featured miniature versions of the artwork for the associated token-using cards. Years ago, I made a comparable set of tokens for my favorite CCG, after analyzing all published cards at that point that mentioned tokens. Numerous expansions came out after that and I am finally in a regular play group again, so maybe I will do another token set in the coming months to account for the newer cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
21 Dec 2018 17:07 #288628 by mads b.
If you want to play online, you can do it at thecrucible.online. You import your decks from the offical page and it works really well. I'm madsbrynnum over there.

m
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
30 Dec 2018 22:23 #288906 by Jexik
Do we want to make this the main thread for discussing Keyforge? I've only played one deck so far, but I have tried out the crucible page that madsb talked about.

It's neat. I think my deck is thoroughly average - I tend to go 50-50 or worse in "beginner" and lose in "casual." My deck is basically a tempo deck that jerks around with the amber count and has 2 ways to forge a key immediately on my turn (with the witch of the wilds that lets me potentialy do that on any turn!) It's Shadows/Brobnar/Untamed. I've been stomped a few times by one of those horsemen decks and some crazy logos/dis deck.

More
02 Jan 2019 17:09 - 02 Jan 2019 17:10 #289107 by Erik Twice
I kept thinking that the thread's name sounded familiar. Today, I discovered why. Barnes follows The Tolarian Community College Twitter account and the Professor often starts with "Many Magic players are asking the question..."

Just a neat thing!

--

I recommended the game to a friend and her girlfriend. She was the person who got me into Netrunner and they were looking for a game to play as a couple so it seemed like a great fit. I'm curious to see how things go for them. The very low price of decks really makes this an attractive product.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2019 17:10 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds