October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Heroes of Terrinoth Review

More
29 Nov 2018 09:00 #287079 by Jackwraith

Heroes of Terrinoth is adventure that's both abstract and detailed.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, ChristopherMD, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2018 09:46 #287080 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Heroes of Terrinoth Review
This answers a lot of questions. I only played the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game a couple of times, and didn't much care for it. However, after reading this review I'd like to try Heroes of Terrinoth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
29 Nov 2018 10:12 #287084 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Heroes of Terrinoth Review
I'm... weirdly interested in this for solo play when I'm away for work. Kind of a surprise interest for me.

More
29 Nov 2018 10:14 #287085 by Jackwraith
I think if you like Talisman, you'll like Heroes. It doesn't have the fat lootz of Talisman but, when you think about it, Talisman never really had any of those "must have" magic items other than the Runesword. Most of it was common equipment (swords, bags, mules, horses), which is essentially what Heroes has in the Exploration deck.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the Exploration deck setup is a little clunky, in that the Base set always ends up on top of the smaller topical sets that you put in for the adventure in question. That means that you'll always have to dig through the Exploration deck with a Scout to get to new cards (Scouts can look at two and place one on the top or bottom of the deck.) So, you end up seeing a lot of the same cards in the early part of each adventure. It's not a huge thing, but I'd say it's something to consider if you want to house rule something (shuffling the whole Exploration deck, rather than stacking it.) The caveat is that most of the smaller, topical decks are events, rather than gear, which are often detrimental to the party, so shuffling the deck may ramp up the difficulty level a bit.

More
29 Nov 2018 10:16 #287086 by Jackwraith

Gary Sax wrote: I'm... weirdly interested in this for solo play when I'm away for work. Kind of a surprise interest for me.

Totally feasible. They suggest two heroes for 1 player, but I know we've all maxed out squads in games like Death Angel when playing alone, so using all 4 is fine. It also gives you a much better experience for how the four classes work together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
29 Nov 2018 14:37 #287100 by southernman
I only got it in the mail this week so have just read the rules so far but already I'm a bit disappointed - no Gear from quests and therefore the related Capacity is also gone, and no Settlement phase in between quests where you choose how you want to improve your character.
So not happy at the moment, the upgrade path for the heroes sounds interesting but it is just a variant to an existing mechanic from WQTACG and probably not enough to make up for what is missing. I do hope that small expansions do come out for this - well, it's not as if I haven't bought FFG small boxes previously - to both provide more quests but also expanded mechanics like Gear, Capacity and Settlement else I may need to look at ways of inserting those from WQTACQ.

Hopefully will get it to the table in a few weeks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Nov 2018 15:13 #287101 by Jackwraith
I totally understand that. I was a bit put off at first by the lack of gear, too. But I realized that it was a difficult problem to resolve in what was meant to be, essentially, a skirmish game like TMNT: Shadows of the Past, rather than more of a campaign game like Descent. Most of what you're missing from the Settlement phase actually happens in the adventures this time.

That said, I think it would be fairly simple to release a kind of campaign expansion that returns things to the type of gameplay that WQACG used.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
29 Nov 2018 16:06 #287103 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Heroes of Terrinoth Review

Jackwraith wrote: That said, I think it would be fairly simple to release a kind of campaign expansion that returns things to the type of gameplay that WQACG used.

I think this seems very likely. Probably a more blown out campaign system coming in its own box. It fits what FFG are doing these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample

More
29 Nov 2018 16:19 #287104 by southernman

Gary Sax wrote:

Jackwraith wrote: That said, I think it would be fairly simple to release a kind of campaign expansion that returns things to the type of gameplay that WQACG used.

I think this seems very likely. Probably a more blown out campaign system coming in its own box. It fits what FFG are doing these days.

And I'm usually their target customer :-))

More
29 Nov 2018 16:29 - 29 Nov 2018 16:31 #287105 by cfmcdonald

Jackwraith wrote: One thing I forgot to mention is that the Exploration deck setup is a little clunky, in that the Base set always ends up on top of the smaller topical sets that you put in for the adventure in question.

This is not right, I think you misread the setup diagram. The different Exploration card types are shuffled together in the scenarios I've played.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2018 16:31 by cfmcdonald.

More
29 Nov 2018 16:47 #287108 by Jackwraith

cfmcdonald wrote:

Jackwraith wrote: One thing I forgot to mention is that the Exploration deck setup is a little clunky, in that the Base set always ends up on top of the smaller topical sets that you put in for the adventure in question.

This is not right, I think you misread the setup diagram. The different Exploration card types are shuffled together in the scenarios I've played.

Create Exploration Deck: Shuffle the
exploration cards into one or more stacks as
specified on the back of the quest sheet. After
shuffling each stack, place them on top of
each other in the order shown on the quest
sheet.

More
29 Nov 2018 16:59 #287110 by cfmcdonald

Jackwraith wrote:

cfmcdonald wrote:

Create Exploration Deck: Shuffle the
sheet.

All the exploration decks only have one stack. The stacks are separated by arrows.

More
29 Nov 2018 17:25 #287112 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Heroes of Terrinoth Review
I actually find the lack of a campaign to be a feature, not a bug. Campaign systems in these sorts of dungeon crawls always feel half-assed and clunky (I'm thinking of the D&D Adventure Series games in particular). Why bother?? I think the lack of a campaign is refreshing, and as you noted in the review, lets you cherry-pick what adventure you want, in whatever order you want, based on how difficult of a challenge you feel like tackling. That's awesome. It makes the game a LOT more approachable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, DarthJoJo

More
29 Nov 2018 17:29 #287113 by DarthJoJo
I’m on board with Joebot. I’m unlikely to pick this up as I’m deep in the Arkham LCG and it scratches similar itches as the earlier Warhammer iteration did, but if I did, it would be for one-off scenarios. I have enough campaign games, but I wouldn’t mind a story in one night.

More
29 Nov 2018 17:43 - 29 Nov 2018 17:45 #287114 by Jackwraith

cfmcdonald wrote: Create Exploration Deck: Shuffle the
sheet.

All the exploration decks only have one stack. The stacks are separated by arrows.[/quote]

Right. "one or more stacks." Each stack (i.e. each set) is shuffled independently and then placed, in order, on top of each other. Base is the top stack in each of the eight quests and the diagram even shows each individual stack being separate and placed on top of each other, rather than mixed together, in the same way that the Location and Enemy decks are created. It makes more sense from a varietal standpoint to do it the way you have been, since you won't always have to work your way through Base to get to Village or Wild or whathaveyou. But that's expressly not the way the rules are written nor the diagram presented.

images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_...3/ter01_rulebook.pdf
Page 3 at the bottom, where it shows the same diagram and language used to describe the stacking of the other decks.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2018 17:45 by Jackwraith.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds