Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Flashback Friday - Cosmic Encounter - Love it or Hate It? Do you Still Play It?

Flashback Friday - Cosmic Encounter - Love it or Hate It? Do you Still Play It? 30 Nov 2018 17:14 #287199

If you want Cosmic Encounter to exist primarily as a strategic exercise, you should stick to the rules that Erik lays out. But as a game it is much more than that.

For me the interaction and the chaos are the most appealing aspects. The strategic elements anchor it, and they never entirely go away, but I've never been a gamer who cares most about a game's depth.

Still my favorite game. Playing it is always a good reminder that I probably have enough other games.
Subscribe to my game blog, The Rumpus Room.
sanildefanso.wordpress.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Flashback Friday - Cosmic Encounter - Love it or Hate It? Do you Still Play It? 30 Nov 2018 17:49 #287203

I have the red aliens sorted out in a separate bag. I doubt I'll ever get any of them out, because if I did, that would mean I had a table full of Cosmic experts.

I have enough expansions to play 8 players, which I hope to do at some point. I played an 8 player game at Gen Con once with randos and 2 friends. It was super fun, and amazing to me that a game could be good with strangers.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2406
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Flashback Friday - Cosmic Encounter - Love it or Hate It? Do you Still Play It? 30 Nov 2018 18:09 #287204

Cosmic.jpeg
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Cobra Kai!
  • Thank you received: 1044
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, WadeMonnig, Vysetron

Flashback Friday - Cosmic Encounter - Love it or Hate It? Do you Still Play It? 01 Dec 2018 05:39 #287209

san il defanso wrote:
If you want Cosmic Encounter to exist primarily as a strategic exercise, you should stick to the rules that Erik lays out. But as a game it is much more than that.
This is true. For me the biggest appeal of Cosmic is that it's this fun, crazy game where experience matters little that also has some actual depth and skill involved. It's like my ideal party game because I can play "well" and do interesting, funs tuff without thinking "well, this is fun, but dumb".

But it's true there's far more to the game. Really, I just love seeing all the aliens and the idea of "How can I win with this weird power?" and just seeing them interact and so on. There's far more than strategy in Cosmic, but, like you say, it's what anchors it all together.
  • Erik Twice
  • D8
  • Needs explosions
  • Thank you received: 1397

Flashback Friday - Cosmic Encounter - Love it or Hate It? Do you Still Play It? 01 Dec 2018 11:09 #287215

I'm in the boat that it needs to be more fun than strategic so I strongly prefer a higher player count because with three people (until recently the usual number in my AT group) you can see people thinking a bit too hard about it, so I don't pull it out unless I have at least four players (plus I have a lot of games that do three players much better) - meaning it hasn't got out much at all in the last few years. But the group has grown to four recently so I am going to squeeze it back into the game rota again.
  • southernman
  • D10
  • TOTALLY WiReD
  • Thank you received: 674
Konieczkarian
F:ATies 'Spawn of Ameritrash' Worldwide Map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe...7e41fde832d5ff51&z=2
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds