October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Andy's Industrial Opinion Factory #3 - Arkham Horror 3rd Edition, Heroes of Terrinoth, Keyforge

More
02 Dec 2018 23:45 #287315 by AndrewMcAlpine
THE WORKERS HAVE TAKEN OVER THE FACTORY STOP THEY GOT THEIR HANDS ON A BUNCH OF NEW FANTASY FLIGHT GAMES STOP THEY’VE STOLEN MY ONE SONG REVIEW STOP PLEASE SEND HELP ASAP
Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, GorillaGrody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2018 09:50 #287316 by ubarose
I really want to try Arkham Horror 3rd edition. I saw it being played, but I couldn't tell if it was less fiddly or more fiddly than 2nd edition.

More
03 Dec 2018 10:27 #287320 by Gary Sax
^same

It's one of those things that will probably slip its way into an order over the next year or two. And then my spouse will look at me, try it, and be like "why didn't we just take the extra time to set up the original?" like she did with Eldritch Horror---also known in our house as "lose a turn."

More
03 Dec 2018 12:25 #287329 by Vysetron
I'm making no rush to play AH3ed. AH2ed isn't perfect but it creates a great experience, warts and all. Eldritch by contrast felt too sterile. Plain. I worry FFG is learning the wrong lessons from game to game. If this ends up being Arkham Pandemic (as opposed to actual Cthulhu Pandemic) I'm going to be so disappointed.

I'll still try it given the chance though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman

More
03 Dec 2018 13:35 #287333 by Jackwraith
I just can't really be bothered, honestly. We played 2nd Ed for years. I had all the expansions. We more than got my money's worth, given the hours upon hours of enjoyment we had with it. I'm just looking for something different now, especially when it comes to co-op games. I feel like I've played out my "investigators in Arkham" thing. Maybe that's why I own Cthulhu Wars and Fate of the Elder Gods...? It's all about going to the other side... (plus, neither of them are co-ops.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Vysetron

More
03 Dec 2018 15:31 #287344 by Josh Look
I got to check out AH at PAX Unplugged this weekend. I really did not know what to make of it and part of me still doesn’t, but I think it’s ultimately a pass for me. Gameplay wise, as Andrew said, it’s more like the previous edition than I though it would be. Parts of the design are just so smart and the narrative threads are more cohesive and better on every level, very much on par with the LCG. And that’s where the whole thing fell apart for me. I do not foresee this edition being as replayable with out a steady influx of expansion materials, and for the experience it delivers, the card game is still the smarter option, or at least, the more economical one. There’s only so many times you’re going to be entertained by what happens, which is true for the card game as well but that game is cheaper and has the added benefit of customization if you want it. This new edition really feels redundant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, san il defanso, mtagge, AndrewMcAlpine, Vysetron

More
04 Dec 2018 22:11 #287499 by san il defanso

Josh Look wrote: I do not foresee this edition being as replayable with out a steady influx of expansion materials

I had a sneaking suspicion this would be the case, which is why I passed on it. What I really want is a fun adventure-style experience that 1) won't require an expansion after 10 plays and 2) doesn't cost a mint at retail. Does that game exist, at least since I last purchased a game like this, circa 2012 or so?

More
05 Dec 2018 09:46 #287511 by Shellhead
I'm sure that I would enjoy playing Arkham Horror 3rd, but I don't see a reason to own it. By design, 3rd will tell more focused stories, which unfortunately means less replay value. Arkham Horror 2nd is not a perfect game, but it is a very big sandbox where nearly anything can happen, which makes for endless replay value. Arkham Horror 2nd isn't the best game in my collection, but it is the one game that I will never sell at any price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

More
05 Dec 2018 10:15 - 05 Dec 2018 10:18 #287514 by Jexik
Those with AH 2nd, how many have you played it 10 times? How many of those games involved expansions? If each expansion adds another 5-10 scenarios, I don't see it being a problem unless you really love it, at which point you got a pretty good return on it.

I say this just because I've got both expansions for Tragedy Looper, and we've played the first box of 10 and I think 3 of the ones in the first expansion. It's probably a little easier to get a group for AH, but I don't own it and have somehow managed to not play it once yet anywhere.

"I can only play this 3-hour game 10 times in the next 6 months before the expansion drops" isn't a problem I currently have.

At the same time, I haven't touched X-wing 2e despite it being one of my favorite games. The setup time has nearly killed it for me.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2018 10:18 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Dec 2018 10:15 - 05 Dec 2018 10:19 #287515 by SuperflyPete
What kind of factory isn't, by definition, industrial?

Also, you wouldn't happen to know Dwight Evan Young, would you, Andy?
Last edit: 05 Dec 2018 10:19 by SuperflyPete.

More
05 Dec 2018 10:55 #287517 by Shellhead

Jexik wrote: Those with AH 2nd, how many have you played it 10 times? How many of those games involved expansions? If each expansion adds another 5-10 scenarios, I don't see it being a problem unless you really love it, at which point you got a pretty good return on it.

I was already a big fan of Arkham Horror 1st when 2nd edition came out and blew it away. My gaming group of that time quickly became obsessed with Arkham Horror 2nd, and we probably played at least 40 games with the base set. We were actually losing interest at that point, because the 2nd edition base set alone is practically a solved game. Focus on sealing six gates and you will win 90% of the time. The first small box expansion made the game a little more challenging, but it took the Dunwich big box expansion to make the game a serious challenge again. By the time there were at least two big and two small expansions, Arkham Horror reached a state of offering a big sandbox of replay, and additional expansions expanded the possibilities almost endlessly. By now, I have probably played 150 games of Arkham Horror 2nd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
05 Dec 2018 16:23 - 05 Dec 2018 16:28 #287539 by mtagge

Jexik wrote: Those with AH 2nd, how many have you played it 10 times? How many of those games involved expansions? If each expansion adds another 5-10 scenarios, I don't see it being a problem unless you really love it, at which point you got a pretty good return on it.

My copy, perhaps 10. Total easily 30. For me I prefer to mix in the base, 1 small, and 1 big expansion; or if time is shorter base and 1-2 small boxes. Of course we pull from all the possible characters, all possible bosses, all possible monsters each time. Messing with the decks was a pain before, but with the companion app, I just toggle the expansions in the app and I only have to mess with the Mythos Deck. I suppose sometimes we just ignored off expansion Mythos cards and redrew rather than cleaning the deck in between games sometimes.

That way we can set a theme without too much overhead. Putting everything together in one box dilutes the theme, but if you keep it to 1-2 expansions at a time (especially thematically comparable ones) it can have enough for my tastes.

Only reason we didn't play more was because we only lived in the same country for six years and we had newborns/young children at the time.

The difference between 2nd and 3rd it would seem would be 3rd edition games and scenarios are focused and you play one, 2nd can be jumbled together or not based on individual preference.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2018 16:28 by mtagge.

More
05 Dec 2018 17:21 #287545 by AndrewMcAlpine

SuperflyTNT wrote: What kind of factory isn't, by definition, industrial?

Also, you wouldn't happen to know Dwight Evan Young, would you, Andy?

Hmm... maybe a hit factory? Let's just say that it's my opinions that are industrial.

Never heard of Dwight Evan Young, what's he all about?

More
05 Dec 2018 17:25 #287546 by AndrewMcAlpine
Yeah, I think if folks are accustomed to the smash-a-couple-expansions-together-and-see-what-happens style AH game, 3rd edition is going to feel pretty alien. I think I like 3rd more than 2nd, but with the caveat that there's no terribly good reason for it to exist. That is, at least, if you can afford to keep forking over cash to the AH:LCG content monster.

More
05 Dec 2018 23:22 #287564 by Da Bid Dabid

san il defanso wrote:

Josh Look wrote: I do not foresee this edition being as replayable with out a steady influx of expansion materials

I had a sneaking suspicion this would be the case, which is why I passed on it. What I really want is a fun adventure-style experience that 1) won't require an expansion after 10 plays and 2) doesn't cost a mint at retail. Does that game exist, at least since I last purchased a game like this, circa 2012 or so?

Merchants and Marauders?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds