October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games #7 - Forbidden Sky, Railroad Rivals, Cryptid

More
04 Dec 2018 18:25 #287579 by Michael Barnes

Build a circuit, make a fortune, or find a monster - the choice is yours in this edition of Barnes on Games.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2018 09:24 #287580 by ubarose
I like the new disclaimer blurb. Very classy. I'm still kind of interested in Cryptid as something my daughter might enjoy, but I am waiting to play it before making a decision. It will probably show up in a Conn library eventually

More
06 Dec 2018 09:52 #287584 by SuperflyPete
Love the disclaimer. Love the Patreon pitch.

More
07 Dec 2018 09:34 #287663 by Legomancer
I played three games of Cryptid in a row. One player in those three games got a single turn -- together.

On your turn you can ask a question or you can search. The game wants you to ask questions. Asking questions is the "right" thing to do. But you can also search. And that's what we did, and in each game the Cryptid was found in a handful of turns.

"But Dave," say people on BGG. "The goal is for YOU to find the cryptid, not for the cryptid to be found! So on your turn it's wiser to ask a question, since you give away less information!"

Perhaps that's true. But that calculation also depends on everyone else asking questions instead of searching. So it's not enough for you to play "correctly" to make this game work, you have to ensure everyone else is doing so too. In one of our games I did ask a question, but since everyone else searched, all I ended up doing was killing my own chances.

Did we play wrong? Apparently. There are two actions and half of them are wrong most of the time, I guess. But it's moot because the game, even if played "right", is boring as hell. It's boring to look at, it's boring to play, and giving it a "cryptid" them doesn't change that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, cdennett

More
07 Dec 2018 12:35 #287687 by cdennett
Played two games of Cryptid at BGG.Con, and had a similar issue as Dave. The "right" thing to do is to ask questions instead of searching, but that was both boring and slow. And the few players that did that were disadvantaged when everyone else was just searching. In fact in our second game, someone asked a question about a particular space, and got a positive response. I had the next turn and went ahead and searched the same spot and won the game. And everyone else said they were going to do the same thing if I hadn't. It's a neat idea, but didn't work at all for us. It was fun talking afterwards finding out how often we were so sure of someone's rule, only to find out we had it completely wrong (but yet still worked).

And I agree 100% with Barnes on Forbidden Sky, wow is the difficulty ramped up in a non-satisfying way. I've only played a couple of games with 2, but the order the tiles comes up is HUGE in determining your success. I do like the spacial element of planning for the tile placement, and I really had to work with my son to plan ahead more, something he wasn't doing. I haven't given up on this game yet, but I wonder if some house-rules are in order, maybe increasing the the tile hand-size or something...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds