October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Seal Team Flix: Breaking my Distaste for Dungeon Crawls

More
11 Dec 2018 00:07 #287899 by Gary Sax

Your soldier’s cover has been largely destroyed by those last shots.  She stands up, alone, and needs to make her two shots count or they will be her last.  The player assesses the situation and…  rolls 11 dice to find out if that happened or not.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, hotseatgames, Frohike, stoic, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2018 07:56 - 11 Dec 2018 07:58 #287900 by GorillaGrody
This is the game where you go around gunning down environmentalists, yeah? Kind of a turn-off for me.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2018 07:58 by GorillaGrody.

More
11 Dec 2018 08:16 #287901 by Sagrilarus
Great review. I love articles that get into deeper analysis of what works and what doesn’t.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
11 Dec 2018 08:25 #287902 by hotseatgames

GorillaGrody wrote: This is the game where you go around gunning down environmentalists, yeah? Kind of a turn-off for me.

They are really anti-humanists. I don’t think anyone would have understood if we had used that term, but I regret that “eco-terrorist” turned some people off.

Thanks for the review, Gary. I agree, 2x boards would be great. And sadly impractical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
11 Dec 2018 08:49 #287907 by charlest
Great work! Makes me want to get this back out and play it again soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
11 Dec 2018 08:57 #287908 by GorillaGrody

hotseatgames wrote:

GorillaGrody wrote: This is the game where you go around gunning down environmentalists, yeah? Kind of a turn-off for me.

They are really anti-humanists. I don’t think anyone would have understood if we had used that term, but I regret that “eco-terrorist” turned some people off.

I mean, it really sounds like a fun game. But in an age in which even moderate conservatives like Schwarzenegger are being called eco-terrorists (or even anti-humanists), it just sets off my dog-whistle alarm. In future, I'd recommend Nazis. Everyone wants to shoot a Nazi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
11 Dec 2018 09:07 #287910 by hotseatgames
I think we have enemies for the expansion that can be universally disliked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Josh Look, GorillaGrody

More
11 Dec 2018 09:17 #287911 by lj1983
in the Clancy book Rainbow Six the bad guys are a group of eco terrorists who are planning on releasing a humanity-killing plague on the world.

Not sure on the backstory in Flix but that would count I think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
11 Dec 2018 09:33 - 11 Dec 2018 09:34 #287913 by Gary Sax
Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, that's basically this game theming-wise lj.

Like I said, modern military themes in a light game generally aren't at the top of my list for a lot of reasons, many of them political. It's a legit reason to be turned off if it doesn't work for you for whatever reason. That said, I didn't have too much trouble with it, the focus of the game is on a pretty interchangeable OpFor style besides some light interstitial stuff in the scenario book. There are only three types of enemy and they are very generic.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2018 09:34 by Gary Sax.

More
11 Dec 2018 09:45 - 11 Dec 2018 09:49 #287914 by SuperflyPete
LJ nailed it. That’s the main reason I went with antihumanists. It started out as Islamofascists but I’m not keen on them nor was Zev so we decided to change.

Anyone reading page one of the manual has it laid out unequivocally, Gorilla. These are folks that are to the far left of VHEMT. They are a death cult who seeks to end human life on Earth to save the planet.

It’s funny to me that people with no idea what the game is about simply thinks “conservative dog whistle” when people seeking to be offended are the only ones who hear it clearly. This is maybe the third time I’ve heard this particular phrase used by people, and only one person has been like “fuck yeah, kill lefties” on BGG, and he was trounced

One of the designers is an environmentalist who has worked to reform e-waste recycling for 20 years or so, FWIW
Last edit: 11 Dec 2018 09:49 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman

More
11 Dec 2018 12:07 #287917 by Sagrilarus
I caught the whiff of compromise in the theme. I appreciate that you don't want to offend a billion people, (any particular billion) so you need to have an enemy that's way out beyond one of the fringes, and best if they don't actually exist. I think something like Hydra might have been a better concept, but I'm not the guy that produces hit board games.

Heck, Zev wouldn't even name real diseases in Pandemic. Presumably he didn't want to call out influenza or ebola in case there was a future epidemic that made the game look ill-topicked.

I think anyone concerned with the opponent can simply insert whomever they like. I think you could release this game multiple times a la the C&C system with different settings and eras, and really have quite a franchise. Nazis, Communists, Assyrians, Jesuits. Okay, maybe not Jesuits. But the English . . . hell yeah! Let's set it in 1774 and flick off Thrower's relatives!

My intention is to make this game a gift for several reasons -- 1) the new owner will be forced to play it with me in gratitude; 2) he has to assemble it; 3) he has to store it. It's really the perfect solution. But the more I hear from reviews like Gary's above the more I'd like to have this one to play with my boys on a snowy day. So I'm torn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

More
11 Dec 2018 12:49 #287919 by southernman

GorillaGrody wrote:

hotseatgames wrote:

I mean, it really sounds like a fun game. But in an age in which even moderate conservatives like Schwarzenegger are being called eco-terrorists (or even anti-humanists), it just sets off my dog-whistle alarm. In future, I'd recommend Nazis. Everyone wants to shoot a Nazi.

If they're terrorists (and I believe that word was used rather than fanatics or protestors or ...) then I have no problems in ending them in all ways possible.

More
11 Dec 2018 15:29 #287924 by ubarose
I am probably the most squeamish person around when it comes to military board game themes, and I initially thought that I would be put off by having to shoot at eco-terrorists (a.k.a. contemporary humans). However, when I actually played, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. They were fictional enough, and "evil" enough that I was able to rationalize it - also, other players humored me about not saying they were dead when we hit them, they were just "down".
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
11 Dec 2018 16:48 - 11 Dec 2018 16:49 #287932 by WadeMonnig

ubarose wrote: I am probably the most squeamish person around when it comes to military board game themes, and I initially thought that I would be put off by having to shoot at eco-terrorists (a.k.a. contemporary humans). However, when I actually played, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. They were fictional enough, and "evil" enough that I was able to rationalize it - also, other players humored me about not saying they were dead when we hit them, they were just "down".

Are you down with S.T.F? Yea, you know me.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2018 16:49 by WadeMonnig.

More
11 Dec 2018 17:00 #287933 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote:
My intention is to make this game a gift for several reasons -- 1) the new owner will be forced to play it with me in gratitude; 2) he has to assemble it; 3) he has to store it. It's really the perfect solution. But the more I hear from reviews like Gary's above the more I'd like to have this one to play with my boys on a snowy day. So I'm torn.

I can't remember how old your boys are, but if KingPut, Strider and I had had STF when we were kids we would have played the crap out of it. And one of us would have probably have hidden it our suitcase to take it off to college.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, SuperflyPete, hotseatgames, Frohike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds