Play Matt: Book Review Remnants

More
06 Jan 2019 19:41 #289392 by Matt Thrower

Last year I played a ridiculous number of new games as potential inclusions for The Board Game Book. The editor wanted a certain quality bar for inclusion which, in this site's terms, is "3.5 stars. Ok so we don't actually allow half stars but you get the idea. Essentially: not all the games that failed to make the cut were bad.

Some of them were bad. Either way, you deserve to know about them. So here they are.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2019 21:09 #289393 by Josh Look
Going to have to disagree on War Chest and how only having one chip left is some sort of design flaw. It isn't. Use that chip to hold a control point and get over it. I've never seen the second situation you mentioned in my 20 or so plays.

More
07 Jan 2019 22:01 #289396 by Michael Barnes
House of Danger is one of the worst games I have ever spent money on in my life.

More
08 Jan 2019 00:02 #289398 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Play Matt: Book Review Remnants
I asked this somewhere else (although now I'm not sure, maybe I asked it here too... sorry if I'm repeating myself in that case).

I haven't played House of Danger but have read a few reviews. And I was struck that nobody compared it to the Fighting Fantasy books, by the Games Workshop guys. They were hugely popular when I was growing up. You had skill points and so on and I seem to remember you could collect items too that you could use as you progressed.

Were these published in the states?

It just seems weird that people were talking about this appealing kind of twist on the CYOA books which make them a bit more interesting (if poorly written), but, these other books have been out there for 30 years already.

More
08 Jan 2019 08:41 #289404 by Vysetron

Josh Look wrote: Going to have to disagree on War Chest and how only having one chip left is some sort of design flaw. It isn't. Use that chip to hold a control point and get over it. I've never seen the second situation you mentioned in my 20 or so plays.

I haven't played as much War Chest but we're keeping it for now. The attrition has been just short of grindy so far, and holding the key point like Josh mentioned has made for pretty cool endings. Also I've pulled off the 2-disc murder machine and it was pretty rad, but certainly not gamebreaking.

War Chest is going to be forgotten long-term. Shame. In a different year I think it would have been a knockout.

House of Danger...we haven't touched it in months. Didn't even finish it. Probably won't. I still think Prospero Hall makes the best mass market games you can buy right now but HoD is certainly not a good example.

More
10 Jan 2019 08:22 #289701 by Jackwraith

mc wrote: I haven't played House of Danger but have read a few reviews. And I was struck that nobody compared it to the Fighting Fantasy books, by the Games Workshop guys. They were hugely popular when I was growing up. You had skill points and so on and I seem to remember you could collect items too that you could use as you progressed.

Were these published in the states?

They were. I still have about 15 of them, including a couple that I was never able to beat...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

Moderators: Gary SaxFrohike
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds