October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles Review

More
13 Jan 2019 13:51 #289895 by n815e

southernman wrote:

n815e wrote: The X-Wing base set contains less and doesn’t give you a complete game experience.

So one extra ship is a complete game experience ? Give me a break.

I get that you don’t know anything about the game and you are responding out of a place of ignorance.
Besides being a more interesting game with that movement system (which is what dog fighting is really about), with significantly greater content delivered in the box than X-Wing, BSG’s starter is actually enough to keep interest for many plays and provides enough material for up to four players in the box. X-Wing’s starter literally has enough to keep only two people engaged for one session before it gets stale enough to need to buy more stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2019 14:54 #289899 by southernman

n815e wrote:

southernman wrote:

n815e wrote: The X-Wing base set contains less and doesn’t give you a complete game experience.

I get that you don’t know anything about the game and you are responding out of a place of ignorance.
Besides being a more interesting game with that movement system (which is what dog fighting is really about), with significantly greater content delivered in the box than X-Wing, BSG’s starter is actually enough to keep interest for many plays and provides enough material for up to four players in the box. X-Wing’s starter literally has enough to keep only two people engaged for one session before it gets stale enough to need to buy more stuff.

Nah, I'm saying it out of someone who's played X-Wing and doesn't believe 4 ships makes a complete game when 3 ships doesn't - but you're definitely allowed your own taste and your opinion is equally as valueless as mine and anyone elses.

More
13 Jan 2019 16:17 #289904 by Sagrilarus
It makes a complete game for two teams of two, that's for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
14 Jan 2019 21:35 #290007 by Sevej
I don't care about it being only a few ships. If I ever get X-Wing, it'll probably lots of X, and TIEs, their respective bombers and just a few more.

But the price is indeed a huge strike against it, as I'd want at least a lot of raiders. I mean, that scene of raider pouring out of a basestar like skittles... I want that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Msample

More
15 Jan 2019 03:31 #290015 by southernman

Sevej wrote: I don't care about it being only a few ships. If I ever get X-Wing, it'll probably lots of X, and TIEs, their respective bombers and just a few more.

But the price is indeed a huge strike against it, as I'd want at least a lot of raiders. I mean, that scene of raider pouring out of a basestar like skittles... I want that.

So a SW Armada version required then :-) ?

More
15 Jan 2019 03:39 - 15 Jan 2019 03:42 #290016 by southernman

Sagrilarus wrote: It makes a complete game for two teams of two, that's for sure.

But when has dog-fighting been about equal numbers ?
And in tabletop gaming isn't it about the points system to make a competitive game, hence two Ties costing about the same as an X-wing. Plus you can't get the Millennium Falcon in the BSG universe (even though I'd watch BSG any day over a SW show).

PS In the UK BSG starter for £44, X-Wing starter for £25. And then you can custom build your X-Wing game ship by ship, which seems to be the biggest draw for tabletop games.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2019 03:42 by southernman.

More
16 Jan 2019 09:47 #290092 by n815e

southernman wrote:

n815e wrote:

southernman wrote:

Nah, I'm saying it out of someone who's played X-Wing and doesn't believe 4 ships makes a complete game when 3 ships doesn't - but you're definitely allowed your own taste and your opinion is equally as valueless as mine and anyone elses.

Your X-Wing experience creates a flawed impression of a different game. In BSG, players control just 1-2 ships.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
16 Jan 2019 14:26 - 16 Jan 2019 14:31 #290110 by Sagrilarus

southernman wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: It makes a complete game for two teams of two, that's for sure.

But when has dog-fighting been about equal numbers ?

When it's on my table and me and three of my buddies are playing.

The Wings of Glory games are about fellowship, not two guys controlling 19 ships each with their super-opto-permu-combo bullshit card-ship builds. If I want that I'll set the toys aside and play Magic, a true nerd's game.

The number of ships doesn't matter in the real world (which we'll stretch to include these two games) but it's fun to have a wingman in games like this, and four ships means you can play two-on-two. For me that's way more fun than controlling a whole side and optimizing each move across a dozen ships. It also means I can drink a bit while playing.

If I get a chance to play with a team-mate (I particularly like team games) I don't care if the ships are a little unbalanced. That's actually part of the fun.

Someone on the X-Wings reddit forum indicated that BSG not being set up for "competitive play" meant the game was a joke. The game wasn't designed for "competitive play". It was designed for a more casual session.

Plus you can't get the Millennium Falcon in the BSG universe

Watch the first hour of the new Star Wars movie Solo. That should kill any affection you have for the ship or anyone that flies in it.
Last edit: 16 Jan 2019 14:31 by Sagrilarus.

More
16 Jan 2019 15:45 #290118 by southernman
Crikey - what a lot of fun-murderers this site has started to breed, just because it isn't your idea of fun doesn't mean it isn't fun for other people :huh:
And where's this thing about 19 ships coming from - I thought we were talking about X-Wing not Armada ? Or do some people actually play with fleets that large and you're using that example to represent the game itself. When I did play it (I'm more of a boardgamer than a tabletop minis gamer) I can't remember ever having more than about four ships each, it was purely about outmanoeuvring each other (same as it was when I did WoW many years ago).
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, Gregarius

More
More
31 Jan 2019 18:47 #291259 by Sagrilarus

More
29 Dec 2020 17:07 - 29 Dec 2020 17:08 #317574 by southernman

Sagrilarus wrote:

WadeMonnig wrote: www.facebook.com/218782641502412/posts/2065891153458209/

White elephant.

It's all over now (discontinued, due to the end of the license agreement), sell quickly

www.aresgames.eu/27843
Last edit: 29 Dec 2020 17:08 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Sacco

More
29 Dec 2020 17:15 #317575 by Sagrilarus
I wonder who will get it next.

More
29 Dec 2020 17:53 #317576 by n815e
I know this is a crazy idea, but if you’ve got the stuff for it and like it you can continue to enjoy what you have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, Nodens

More
29 Dec 2020 18:02 #317577 by southernman

n815e wrote: I know this is a crazy idea, but if you’ve got the stuff for it and like it you can continue to enjoy what you have.

Yeah, you're right, fucking crazy :laugh: ... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.589 seconds