October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Dune The Right Thing

More
23 Jan 2019 17:33 #290560 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Dune The Right Thing
Cut to the point: should I play this or Rex? Use small words and pictures if possible, thanks! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2019 18:02 - 23 Jan 2019 18:03 #290562 by GorillaGrody
Replied by GorillaGrody on topic Dune The Right Thing

SaMoKo wrote: Cut to the point: should I play this or Rex? Use small words and pictures if possible, thanks! :)

Dune.
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jan 2019 18:03 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
23 Jan 2019 18:56 #290563 by dscoBee
Replied by dscoBee on topic Dune The Right Thing
Had to sign up an account just to say "wow". Remarkable piece of board games journalism, more of this sort of thing please.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, jpat, sornars, JonathanVolk

More
23 Jan 2019 18:56 #290564 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Dune The Right Thing
Beautifully written! Thank you, Jonathan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonathanVolk

More
24 Jan 2019 03:07 #290573 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Dune The Right Thing
Wait a sec... There is a longer version of this article?

Christ, knowing it exists but not being able to read it is like knowing of a Jodorosky version of Dune that had Moebius, Giger and Dali, which will never be seen by me.

All because our corporate overlords deemed it to be so. Philistines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
24 Jan 2019 09:42 #290583 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Dune The Right Thing
Great review! It breathes life into a venerable, but aging game that often gets overlooked in the contemporary stream of shiny bloated overproduced hyped leviathans. Let's hope that AH's Dune won't be forgotten when the new GF9 Dune game is released along with the upcoming new Dune Movie. I have no hope that the new Dune movie will respect the Dune legenda as Frank Herbert intended in his novels since the current trend in movies is to sacrifice art in order to placate contemporary trends.

Attachments:

More
24 Jan 2019 17:18 #290614 by DukeofChutney
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic Dune The Right Thing
Ahh man, good words

I tried to Dune the right thing twice and I played the cheap knock off Rex twice too.

Other than finding 5 other people with the time, you ideally need 5 other people who are really up for it, understand that it is uneven and figure out the power relationships. Three of the games I played finished within 1-2hours, as the first big alliance just won. With repeat play this would iron out.

Dune was always the game I really wanted to be playing, i loved its game space, its cosmic with context but few like minded people exist so I sold my copy on here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Jan 2019 17:24 #290615 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Dune The Right Thing
^I think Here I Stand, Virgin Queen, and some other big wargames fit in here too. But I'm too stubborn to mail them away to someone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Not Sure, DukeofChutney

More
24 Jan 2019 17:39 #290619 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Dune The Right Thing

Gary Sax wrote: ^I think Here I Stand, Virgin Queen, and some other big wargames fit in here too. But I'm too stubborn to mail them away to someone.

This. I'm not as much of a fan of Dune as others, mostly because you do need a very committed group to really make it work, which just isn't the definition of a "classic" game to me or even one that's held in very high regard. I've always enjoyed it, but if given the choice between Dune and something like Here I Stand, I'd almost always opt for the latter.

More
24 Jan 2019 17:54 #290621 by DukeofChutney
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic Dune The Right Thing
Here i stand is a game I have not even considered attempting to play even though I am sure i would love it.

More
24 Jan 2019 18:30 #290622 by Ancient_of_MuMu
There are two things that Dune does brilliantly that I don't recall seing elsewhere.

The first someone mentioned is the combat system. Deciding how much you are willing to sacrifice to win is so brilliant that it should have been used many times over. It is only Scythe that seems to reuse the combat, and even then the loss you take for combat is not as great as in Dune so that it doesn't feel to be as difficult a decision.

The second is the alliances. With Cosmic Encounter, the designers proved that they understand that one of the weaknesses in multi-player combat games with a single winner is the fragile nature of alliances. By making long running alliances completely binding in Dune and completely impossible in CE they twice managed to resolve one of the biggest problems in game design.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, DukeofChutney

More
24 Jan 2019 18:49 - 24 Jan 2019 18:56 #290625 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Dune The Right Thing
I love the concept of transformation through the "friction" between the rules system and the enactment of the game as a construct between players and their idiosyncratic modes of play. It really does feel like the zone where larger relevance infuses the game without being all that preachy or even intentionally authored at times. We had a similar discussion about this awhile back concerning Root & the approach really paid dividends in this piece of writing.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2019 18:56 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds