October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

It Came From the Tabletop! A Board Game Podcast - Andromeda and Blue Lagoon

More
12 Feb 2019 00:00 #292236 by Josh Look

Thanks to ...

This week Al and Josh revisit Alan R. Moon's Andromeda and make their first explorations in Reiner Knizia's Blue Lagoon.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Vysetron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2019 07:31 #292237 by stormseeker75
You guys missed the obvious comparison on Blue Lagoon: Through the Desert. Also, I'm curious as to why you guys think Knizia scoring is difficult. It's generally pretty straightforward IMO. You guys play a lot of super complex AT stuff so I wonder why a scoring system trips you up.

Keep up the great work. I love listening to you guys. It reminds me of the podcast I was doing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
14 Feb 2019 08:38 #292247 by Vysetron
Ah fuck Andromeda sounds amazing. I love gimmick components that actually work. It's probably not gonna get a reprint though, looking at its history.

More
14 Feb 2019 09:14 - 14 Feb 2019 13:32 #292253 by Josh Look
We totally did forget the Through the Desert comparison. Neither of us are all that familiar with it (I only played it once years ago), but we definitely did notice it.

I’ve played Blue Lagoon 3 more times over the course of the week and the scoring isn’t that complicated. I think it was that it was the second game we played, we still wanted to record, and I had somewhat underestimated the degree of strategy in the game a breezes through the rules explaination. We didn’t really take the time to let it sink in. That being said, this really is an _excellent_ game.

Complicated may not be the right word of Knizia scoring. Unusual? Non-traditional? I love the idea of scoring whatever you have the least of, but then you also have stuff like Ra. I love the experience of actually playing Ra, the simple turn structure and the unbelievable tension and excitement that builds as the track fill up with those red tiles. But I HATE the scoring in that one. It’s so close to being the kind of game that I can break out with anyone, but then I have to explain how some tiles go away, some don’t, some only score at the end of the game, etc. The overall tone set by the core gameplay does not match the in-depth scoring system, and that feels jarring to me. Blue Lagoon comes close to that at first glance, but repeat plays really cleared it up.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2019 13:32 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
14 Feb 2019 14:30 #292293 by Legomancer
Another really good episode. A few of us were talking in the (unofficial) TWBG Slack yesterday about review styles we like and you guys really nail it for me in that you talk about how it feels to play the game without falling into rules fog or long narratives. I really feel like I get a good sense of a game just from hearing you talk about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, Frohike, engineer Al, mc

More
14 Feb 2019 14:51 #292297 by Frohike
I'm not sure if you guys have control over this, since I've never done podcasting, but your cast should be registered with Spotify if possible. They've started streaming casts with that service & I think it would boost your exposure a bit.

More
14 Feb 2019 15:09 - 14 Feb 2019 15:12 #292298 by Sagrilarus
Is the TWBG Slack feed generating traffic?

I liked this episode and originally wrote a pretty long message for this thread, but then decided to kick it up into an mini-article instead. It was more general in nature.

How many people are at your gaming nights? My group is usually four to seven, which makes it very hard to get much out of the ordinary onto the table to play. It's either classics or the newest thing (and granted, they're usually good stuff) but I can't imagine I could get a game like Andromeda out and generate enough interest to get it played.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2019 15:12 by Sagrilarus.

More
14 Feb 2019 15:55 #292301 by Josh Look

Frohike wrote: I'm not sure if you guys have control over this, since I've never done podcasting, but your cast should be registered with Spotify if possible. They've started streaming casts with that service & I think it would boost your exposure a bit.

Ugh, I forgot, I had started to get the wheels in motion for that and kind of lost track on what I doing. I need to finalize that and get us on there. Thanks for the reminder, I’ll try to set it up next week.

More
14 Feb 2019 15:56 #292303 by Josh Look

Sagrilarus wrote: Is the TWBG Slack feed generating traffic?

I liked this episode and originally wrote a pretty long message for this thread, but then decided to kick it up into an mini-article instead. It was more general in nature.

How many people are at your gaming nights? My group is usually four to seven, which makes it very hard to get much out of the ordinary onto the table to play. It's either classics or the newest thing (and granted, they're usually good stuff) but I can't imagine I could get a game like Andromeda out and generate enough interest to get it played.

It’s usually just 3 of us with the occasional (and painfully rare, I might add) 4th.

More
14 Feb 2019 22:23 #292323 by engineer Al

Josh Look wrote: It’s usually just 3 of us with the occasional (and painfully rare, I might add) 4th.

Yeah, we had four until Repoman got a new job that took him away from us. EggShen was a regular for a while but has been having other life commitments recently. We have a few others now who come only occasionally. I would love to find a regular fourth. Four was a good number, but finding the right person is proving difficult.

I'm glad it's not seven, because that would be overwhelming. I can see why it would be difficult to get certain games on the table. Three to four really is nice for an intimate Thursday night with friends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Feb 2019 23:33 #292326 by RolandHemisphere
I dig the vibe of this podcast. It’s the kind of conversation that’s a joy to listen to and it’s even about board games. And who knew how much mileage a couple guys could get out of a space ashtray? Turns out, a lot.

Thanks. I look forward to the next one.

Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, engineer Al, WadeMonnig

More
15 Feb 2019 00:17 #292328 by mc
Yep the vibe is just great. It's one of those ideas that you think. .. how come there's not a dozen of these? We play games. .. how come no-one else is doing a podcast where they play and the immediately discuss? But on top of that, it's just a pleasure to listen to, i guess at least partly because the way you guys talk about games fits my "worldview". Would happily happily be a fourth, it just sounds like you enjoy games the way I do. If I wasnt on the other side of the world.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, engineer Al, RolandHemisphere

More
15 Feb 2019 19:29 #292408 by engineer Al

mc wrote: Would happily happily be a fourth, it just sounds like you enjoy games the way I do. If I wasnt on the other side of the world.

No problem. Just join us every OTHER Thursday. . .;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
27 Feb 2019 16:57 #293139 by Gary Sax
Listened to this one last weekend. Really enjoyed the discussion of Moon's Andromeda, I love hearing about old games I've never seen or tried.

More
01 Mar 2019 07:35 #293237 by stormseeker75
I found a copy of Andromeda for $25 shipped. I feel like I won something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, engineer Al

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds