October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Play Matt: Are Competitive Men a Board Gaming Blight?

More
27 Mar 2019 12:28 - 27 Mar 2019 14:54 #294595 by ubarose

jeb wrote:
I think things are getting better. Most of the community would see something like Red Scorpion as problematic now. But that's because of the hard work of taking a stand and pointing out it's wrong when that could be embarrassing or bad for business.

I agree with you. The board game community is growing and becoming much more diverse. I recently read an article written by I believe a designer, but it may have been a publisher, addressing this. It basically said that if you want to sell more games, you have to appeal to the members of this more diverse community. Which in turn will attract more people to the hobby who historically weren't part of it (i.e. non-white, non-male consumers). Which then further increases the size of the market, and you sell more games. If publishers/designers don't do this, then the market collapses because you can only sell so many games to the same small group of white dudes.

I think that we are in a period of transition from the historic board game community being so overwhelmingly male, straight and white, and that is causing some friction.

For example 15 years ago women board gamers who played at our local game stores just did their best to not draw attention to themselves, avoid the creeps, traveled in twos to walk each other to their cars, and used the rest room at the nearest Dunkin Donuts. With the growth of the hobby, which in part was due to significant numbers of woman joining, our store expanded adding more playing areas and a women's restroom and lighting in the parking area. There was some initial friction as some of the regulars didn't like giving up their "man cave" and had trouble adjusting to the changing social norms. However, the management held firm and now the store is thriving.

Additionally, we have seen Cons and tournaments not only create new and better sexual harassment policies, but actually enforce those policies.

Essentially, I am seeing individuals and organizations in positions of power - publishers, designers, retail locations, game clubs, conventions, board game sites and discussion groups - saying representation and inclusion is good for business, and doing what they need to do to make it happen. Part of that work that is being done is acknowledging some of the more unsavory elements within the community, and rather than get defensive about it, or rationalize, or deny, or compartmentalize it, it's being addressed head on...

which of course creates more friction.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2019 14:54 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Shellhead, Ska_baron, jeb, vegasrobb, Frohike, Colorcrayons, cdennett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2019 14:27 #294614 by Shellhead
When I bought a house, I chose a nice but affordable area that is just a few miles away from two local gaming shops.

One gaming store is just three blocks from my house, and has a huge selection of comic books, games, and other related goods. It also has an open gaming area that can handle maybe 100 gamers. The bathroom is single-user and often of dubious cleanliness. The staff is nearly always 100% white, older males, and some people complained last year about sexist remarks made by one of the managers. The parking lot is small, but there is street parking in the adjacent residential area. The regulars skew white, male, and middle-aged or older by a significant margin, though more women have been showing in the recent years.

The other local gaming store is the Fantasy Flight Event Center. The shop area is relatively small, though offers a wide range of games aside from Asmodee/Fantasy Flight/Z-Man/Plaid Hat/etc products. They have clean, multi-user bathrooms for each gender, and they sell a limited menu of food, beverages, wine, and beer. The play area is large, and they usually open up an adjacent event space that is vast. The large parking lot is almost constantly near full. The regulars skew much younger, with a lot more women than I've seen in comparable geek venues. I have even seen tables of just women playing games. Almost everybody is white, but even the most diverse congressional district in the state is still 64% white.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jur, vegasrobb

More
27 Mar 2019 19:01 #294627 by Colorcrayons
FFG game centers success I think revolves around FFG employing a large number of women as well. Word of mouth, and very clean environment nurtures more inclusiveness. Dave did a monumental job of managing the event/game center to be what it is today.

Back when it first opened, I saw a nearly 50% ratio of women buying, painting and playing warhams. As any warhams player knows, this is unprecedented.

I avoid the other shop you speak of, The Source, like a plague. Not because of any one thing, but because of a combination of factors over the years which makes it not a place I want to take my GF to or even patronize.
It's not exactly unwelcoming, but it doesn't do much to be legitimately welcoming either.

It seems a subtle difference, but looking at FFGs success a mile away speaks volumes about how significant that difference actually is.

More
27 Mar 2019 20:25 #294628 by Gary Sax
My spouse is a gamer and she definitely has some shops where her game creep radar goes off HARD and others where it doesn't. For example, the Lubbock shop is red alert while the place we went in Omaha give no bad vibes at all.

More
27 Mar 2019 23:11 #294637 by Sevej
Man, I still remember the incredulous look I got from my office mates that the only reason companies are big on diversity & inclusion is because they don't want to limit their potential customer. Of course, it's a good cause, so I'm all aboard!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike, Vysetron

More
27 Mar 2019 23:44 #294638 by blatz
I also live close to the FFG Event Center and it’s the best atmosphere I’ve ever encountered in a game store. The Source can still be pretty cringe-worthy but it’s actually gotten better the last year or so. The staff is much more diverse and welcoming and even the customer base seems to be evolving. You’ll still find your fair share of human failures and basement dwellers but, you know. Baby steps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds