October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2634 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Discount Dive: Wasteland Express Delivery Service Board Game Review

More
27 Mar 2019 00:00 #294570 by WadeMonnig
Welcome to Discount Dive, where I review games that I...

Today, we will be playing Wasteland Express Delivery Service...

* opens Box *

Correction. Today, we will be punching out Wasteland Express Delivery Service.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2019 08:46 #294571 by hotseatgames
Thanks for the review. I'd love to try this one some time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
27 Mar 2019 09:18 #294574 by Josh Look
I really like this one. It doesn’t really do anything you haven’t seen before, but it’s probably the best modern pick up and deliver game out there. The amount of bits (necessary to give you the great truck customization aspect to the game) should make it unplayable, but that insert really does save the day. I do wish that enemies got stronger as the game goes on because once your truck is all supped up, there’s never really a chance that anything or anyone is going to stand in your way and the game becomes purely about who can most efficiently complete their goals. On one hand, yeah, that’s pick up and deliver for you and it overcoming the difficulty curve makes the truck building part satisfying, but there’s a danger in trucking across the wasteland in the first half that’s missing in the second. Still, a terrific game that I greatly enjoy, and as time goes on I’m starting to favor it over my beloved Firefly. Looking forward to the expansion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig

More
27 Mar 2019 09:21 #294576 by ubarose
I really like this game. We played it a bunch when we first got it. We need to pull it out and play it again.

I really love how they control the action selection with the player dashboard. I think it is pretty innovative. In most games of this sort you have a list of what actions types you can perform, and how many you can perform, and if you can do the same action twice, and what is a free action. With the player dashboard you can easily track what you can and can't do by moving your tokens along a branching track. Once you get used to it, it quickly becomes intuitive and you can keep your head in the game not in the rule book.

More
27 Mar 2019 10:01 #294582 by charlest
Yeah I'm a fan as well. It's my favorite kind of direct and frill-less pick up and deliver. It's much simpler than something like Merchants & Marauders or Xia, and we can bang out a game in 70ish minutes at 3 player if everyone's on it.

The weapon options are fun and it gives me a bit of a Car Wars-y feel. I'm looking forward to the expansion that's been in development for awhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig

More
27 Mar 2019 12:43 - 27 Mar 2019 12:46 #294603 by ubarose
@charlest

What do you know about the expansion. As much as I love the game, I kind of felt like something was missing and couldn't put my finger on it.

ETA: I just read Josh's post, and now am thinking that maybe what he said that in the latter part of the game there is "never really a chance that anything or anyone is going to stand in your way and the game becomes purely about who can most efficiently complete their goals. " might be the thing that I haven't been able to put my finger on.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2019 12:46 by ubarose.

More
27 Mar 2019 12:51 #294604 by charlest
I just know there's going to be some kind of actual campaign, and I know it's currently sitting with Jon Gilmour to further develop it (or at least it was a few months ago when I talked to Matt Riddle).

I think that void at the end wouldn't feel that way if there was player conflict. The optional rules for PvP fighting though isn't very satisfying and extends the game unfortunately.

More
27 Mar 2019 13:09 #294606 by Josh Look

charlest wrote: I just know there's going to be some kind of actual campaign, and I know it's currently sitting with Jon Gilmour to further develop it (or at least it was a few months ago when I talked to Matt Riddle).

I think that void at the end wouldn't feel that way if there was player conflict. The optional rules for PvP fighting though isn't very satisfying and extends the game unfortunately.

Hope it’s more than just a campaign. I have no interest in campaigns.

More
27 Mar 2019 14:09 #294610 by DWTripp
Good review, mirrors my view of the game closely. Like you I got a copy deeply discounted - I think it was an Amazon Gold Deal sale or something.

The look of the game and miniatures when set up and being played really adds to the overall enjoyment my group gets out of it.

More
27 Mar 2019 14:37 #294617 by WadeMonnig

Josh Look wrote: I do wish that enemies got stronger as the game goes on because once your truck is all supped up, there’s never really a chance that anything or anyone is going to stand in your way and the game becomes purely about who can most efficiently complete their goals.

Breaker 19 for Pandasaurus games, you got your ears on? Imagine Sequel/Revenge/Vendetta cards that are swapped into the deck whenever a clan/driver is initially defeated. Stronger, Faster and definitely pissed. Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls....dying time is here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
02 Apr 2019 08:58 #294865 by Legomancer
I've been wanting to try this for ages, but I already have Xia, MoV, and access to Merchants and Marauders, so I'm not sure another PUAD game needs to clog up my shelves.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds