October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - DungeonQuest - Love it or Hate It? Do You Still Play It?

More
12 Apr 2019 11:00 #295384 by ubarose
Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?...

Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2019 11:27 - 12 Apr 2019 11:59 #295385 by Michael Barnes
Dungeoncrawlers have come and gone, but this is still- all things considered- the best in the genre. It captures everything a dungeon crawl should, while not turning into really more of a tactical miniatures game. It plays in one session. It’s only about an hour. It has surprises and great traps. There is always a sense of risk. You can get LOST; which is not something you usually see in the genre. And there is a TIME LIMIT so tension is always high.

The first FFG reprint was of course a massive whiff. The revised edition was such a tremendous improvement and really kind of represents the best version of the game despite not having the classic art and shaped cards.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2019 11:59 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Rliyen, HiveGod, Colorcrayons, Ah_Pook

More
12 Apr 2019 11:31 - 12 Apr 2019 11:37 #295386 by Ah_Pook
This is one of my all time favorites. I've got the original GW version. It's a pure concentrated shot of fantasy dice rolling nonsense, with some of my favorite art in any game. Love that 80s GW style. Would love to get the expansions for it but they're prohibitively expensive.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2019 11:37 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
12 Apr 2019 11:38 #295388 by hotseatgames
I wanted to like it. I really did. I have only played the FFG reprint. (The first one).

While wandering endlessly and never getting anywhere might be funny, it's not fun. Falling into spikes on the first turn is funny, but again, not fun. It felt like it would be more appropriate as a solitary video game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
12 Apr 2019 12:00 #295390 by Michael Barnes
I don’t believe I have ever had more fun gaming than the first time I played Dungeonquest and fell into the bottomless pit on the very first turn.

More
12 Apr 2019 12:02 #295391 by Colorcrayons
Hmmm some gamer's call it an activity and not a game?

I wonder if it's the same people who swear up and down that Co-ops are not puzzles?

I like Dungeonquest well enough. I have Pete's old copy and use RPS to resolve combats. No need for the bullshit convoluted card system FFG implanted into the game in order to cater to the BGG crowd who the industry thinks areneasily duped into believing complexity for it's own sake make a thing better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
12 Apr 2019 12:05 #295392 by Ah_Pook
It is also quite good as a solo game, though you lose the brilliantly simple pvp combat. And you lose the whole schadenfreude aspect solo, natch.

More
12 Apr 2019 12:22 #295393 by Matt Thrower

Ah_Pook wrote: Would love to get the expansions for it but they're prohibitively expensive.

The latest FFG edition has most of the best stuff from the expansions. It even improved the rather dull catacombs. You could just get that.

Otherwise, I can't really improve on what MB said. It captures everything that's great about a dungeon crawl - the danger, the monsters, the exploration, the uncertainty, the treasure - into a neat hour-long package.

I can totally see why some folk don't like it. The original had zero meaningful decisions to make. The current - and best - FFG edition has so few that playing can feel like hanging from a precipice by your fingernails. But those folk are wrong. Every card and tile is a thrill, every game a journey. We have a faux scroll in our box on which we record the best scores and the best death stories. Often both.

MB is wrong on one thing: the odd-shaped cards are a pain in the arse and the square cut ones in the current edition are way better.

Still doubt its quality? I'll just leave this here:
therewillbe.games/articles-rants-a-raves...ballad-of-sir-roland
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Colorcrayons, Ah_Pook

More
12 Apr 2019 12:55 #295395 by Jackwraith
Meh. What hotseat said. Any game in which the following scenario can play out:

Draws card.
Spike Trap. Dies.

Other player: "Hey, that's rough. We're going to keep going and it will probably last for another hour or so. I know you came over to play games with us, but... Well, the TV is over there."

is a hard pass. I'm fine with player elimination games. (Wiz-War is one of the greatest ever.) I love dungeon crawls. I've enjoyed the vast majority of what GW and later FFG have released over the years, but DQ was never a good idea. It was GW's "life and dice are random!" approach to the nth degree that a lot of people remember through rose-colored glasses because it was their first real exposure to high fantasy gaming, instead of Milton Bradley or other more mainstream fare. I prefer games where everyone who came over to play gets to do so for more than a few minutes. In principle, the timed escape and push your luck aspects are great. In execution, they rarely were. The only reason I'd own a copy today is for the characters to play Runebound with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
12 Apr 2019 13:05 #295397 by Colorcrayons

hotseatgames wrote: It felt like it would be more appropriate as a solitary video game.

I think you're right about that, since there isn't any meaningful player interaction at least.

I think it would be more agreeable as a game if it had take that type of card action than drawing a tile and disallowing any sense of agency through player interaction.

More
12 Apr 2019 13:14 #295398 by Ah_Pook
If someone dies early enough they get to come back in at the entrance. Also we let eliminated players control the monsters in combat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
12 Apr 2019 14:15 #295402 by cdennett
Yeah, if someone dies early, just let them grab a new character and start up at the beginning (at a huge disadvantage). We also have so agreed upon rules about when you can turn around and leave having not made it to the Dragon's chamber (no cheesing getting a single treasure and making it for the door).

My last game I was clearly winning and got greedy in the Dragon's chamber and died because of a lousy die roll. Fact is I can remember something about every single time I've played this game. It always tells a great story. Barnes is going to be telling about the time he died in a pit on the first turn till he dies.

More
12 Apr 2019 14:22 #295403 by Octavian
My boy is 9, turning 10. DungeonQuest is BY FAR his favorite. The game he is always excited to show new people. We love the stories (mostly tragic) that develop each game.

(FWIW we play with the dice-based combat variant rather than the RPS combat cards, and no one is allowed out until they've stolen from the dragon's treasure first)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, jay718, HiveGod, engineer Al

More
12 Apr 2019 16:03 #295408 by Legomancer
This game rules. And I use the FFG version with the combat die variant and it is great. Absolute forever shelf classic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HiveGod

More
12 Apr 2019 16:05 #295412 by ChristopherMD
At least one fun story comes out of every game of this. We do always use what I call the "Arcade Rules" now.

1) Anytime you die you can respawn at any entrance point. (new character optional)
2) Put a piece of paper and pencil in the box to track everyone's high scores.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds