October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - DungeonQuest - Love it or Hate It? Do You Still Play It?

More
12 Apr 2019 16:19 #295413 by Rliyen
I still have GW version, though I have not played it in some time. Doesn't stop me from trying to get it to the table. Regardless, I still love it and would play it in a heartbeat. I love venturing into Castle "Who the &@!*? Built This Place?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2019 16:47 #295417 by Ah_Pook
We have a high score list, but you only get to sign your name is you stay from the dragon and make it out. Takes care of weiners trying to find a bracelet on the floor and high tail it to safety.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
12 Apr 2019 17:11 #295418 by ubarose
I like the push your luck aspect of being able to choose to run out of the dungeon early. Funniest game I ever played was won by someone who got out with nothing but a length of rope.

More
12 Apr 2019 18:03 #295419 by Not Sure

ubarose wrote: I like the push your luck aspect of being able to choose to run out of the dungeon early. Funniest game I ever played was won by someone who got out with nothing but a length of rope.

With which they hung themselves in shame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Colorcrayons, WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook

More
12 Apr 2019 18:25 #295421 by CynthiaCM
I missed out on the original 1980s version, but opted in when I saw the FFG version at GenCon upon its release. Despite what I feel are slightly clunky card-based combat rules, I enjoy the game and still play it quite a bit. Sure, luck plays a huge part of whether or not one can escape the dungeon with loot (or escape at all), but that only adds to the gonzo never-know-what's-going-to-happen-next fun. There are plenty of games out there that are more strategy-based—and I love them too—but this game is sure to produce a good time nonetheless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, engineer Al

More
12 Apr 2019 21:11 #295424 by Josh Look
We just played it last night. Still love it. It’s short, so the bullshit aspects to it are easily overlooked. I made it 5 times before falling down the bottomless pit, Shellie managed to get once space away from the treasure room before hitting a dead end, and Al wandered around his corner, found $20 and got out. So yeah, Al won with $20, which doesn’t sound like much, but as he pointed out, he was the dwarf and $20 is really like having $40. Unless he’s spending it on beer, then it’s like $5.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Legomancer, Brewmiester, Colorcrayons, engineer Al, WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook

More
13 Apr 2019 01:00 #295429 by jay718

Octavian wrote: My boy is 9, turning 10. DungeonQuest is BY FAR his favorite. The game he is always excited to show new people. We love the stories (mostly tragic) that develop each game.

(FWIW we play with the dice-based combat variant rather than the RPS combat cards, and no one is allowed out until they've stolen from the dragon's treasure first)

My son's the same age and this article really has me wanting to play some DQ with him. Anyone here have a FFG revised edition they'd be willing to part with?

More
13 Apr 2019 01:03 #295430 by san il defanso
One of my six-year-old's favorites. He's not much into games otherwise, but this one works for him. It's one of my favorites too. I've always liked how the players aren't heroes, but rather just another addition to the corpse deck.

We allow players to leave anytime after getting treasure, but only those who survive the dragon's lair get to sign the box.

More
13 Apr 2019 01:36 - 13 Apr 2019 01:58 #295431 by Colorcrayons

jay718 wrote:

Octavian wrote: My boy is 9, turning 10. DungeonQuest is BY FAR his favorite. The game he is always excited to show new people. We love the stories (mostly tragic) that develop each game.

(FWIW we play with the dice-based combat variant rather than the RPS combat cards, and no one is allowed out until they've stolen from the dragon's treasure first)

My son's the same age and this article really has me wanting to play some DQ with him. Anyone here have a FFG revised edition they'd be willing to part with?

I honestly don't think you need the revised edition if you're interested in the game.

The combat cards (or whatever they're called, I don't know since I absolutely never use them) in the original FFG printing can be left in the box, or better yet, just thrown in the trash.

A simple round of RPS is all that is required to resolve combat, and is the only necessary change that need to be made to that printing.

Don't let a good deal pass you by if you can find it, simply because it isn't the revised edition.

Also, this:

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/...-dragonfire-dungeon/

[Edit #2] For the longest time, the revised edition was in the "Upcoming" section of the FFG website as "Awaiting Reprint". Such an entry no longer exists. This should make more people give the original FFG print more consideration when looking for a deal. You really aren't missing out on much, if anything at all. Especially since you can upgrade your copy with the materials in the link above.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2019 01:58 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, allismom3, san il defanso

More
13 Apr 2019 02:43 #295433 by san il defanso
I can attest to the upgrade pack. It was quite easy to use and I've been using an upgraded version of the original FFG release for years.

More
13 Apr 2019 05:40 #295435 by Greg Aleknevicus
I had a great time playing DungeonQuest back in the '80s. It's not much of a "game" in that there's little interaction and few meaningful decisions, but it created great stories.

Importantly, the few expansions it had did not expand the playing time beyond what was acceptable for a game of this type. (I'm looking at you Talisman.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, Ah_Pook

More
13 Apr 2019 11:03 #295440 by HiveGod
DQ is really just a series of push-your-luck storytelling prompts, which, of course, makes it one of my all-time favorite games. It's like a janky Saturday morning cartoon where the same band of creeps dies over and over again... How will Hugo the Glorious eat it this week? Stay tuned through the 'roid toy and sugar cereal ads!

But really, the measure of how good any game is (on HiveGod's Patented Ludomoodometer™) is how much time I spend writing about it:

The Many Deaths of Father Pedo, Lady Luck His Concubine

The DQ Combat Die — The quick fix that bumps the game to a 10 for me.

Isn't the Bottomless Pit...

And I still hold that more games need a Swinging Blade card: "You want to bake bread? Test armor, jerk sauce!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, allismom3, Jackwraith, Colorcrayons, Ah_Pook

More
13 Apr 2019 11:54 #295442 by Vysetron
I'll be honest, I knew nothing about this game until this thread. I always assumed it was Yet Another Dungeon Crawl and my eyes just glazed over.

I must play this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
13 Apr 2019 12:38 #295444 by Ah_Pook
What are the combat rules in the revised FFG edition? The original has essentially RPS, but certain results do two wounds and it's got just enough to be able to turn the screws on your friends when you're piloting the monsters. Replacing it with dice or convoluted card combat all seems awful.

More
13 Apr 2019 19:33 #295447 by dysjunct
Can someone do a compare/contrast with the TSR Dungeon?

Never played either, thinking of getting one to play with my 4yo for the next few years.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.503 seconds