October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Wingspan - A Five Second Board Game Review

More
26 Apr 2019 10:39 - 26 Apr 2019 12:32 #296118 by ubarose
Wingspan is a fairly straightforward engine building game, in which...

Do you like green eggs and... pink eggs and...blue eggs and....

Read more...

Rate and Review Wingspan
Last edit: 26 Apr 2019 12:32 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2019 11:30 #296119 by ubarose
Wingspan is quite the phenomena. I think it's beauty and the fact that it's subject matter is not "nerdy" or "childish" gives it appeal beyond the usual hobby game demographic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Apr 2019 11:34 #296121 by Jackwraith
I really like their presentation, too. The inclusion of science facts on each card was a great touch; as well as tying in each card's effect with what the species' natural behavior patterns are. It's a smart game. I'm not entirely sure that I need another engine builder, but I'd certainly like to try it a couple times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
26 Apr 2019 11:47 #296124 by Count Orlok
A mechanically pretty stripped-down game, but a great implementation of a subject the designer is clearly passionate about. I think more than anything else that passion comes across in the design, where every simple action is grounded in some factual grounding of the species. The art and the presentation are top notch and really cement the whole package. For the gamer who has played or seen everything with little interest in birds, there probably is much here to care for. If you love birds (as many of my friends and I do) and enjoy a light engine-builder this is well worth it.

I saw an eastern screech owl and some cedar waxwings on a walk the other day. It was pretty cool.

More
26 Apr 2019 12:01 #296125 by Vysetron
I appreciate Wingspan more than I like it. As a game I think it's just OK. It really needs more card variety to stand toe to toe with games in its genre and the card effects aren't all that interesting.

What it's immensely successful at is being a game for the current market, who are looking for a game that reveals itself in roughly one play, looks nice, and has a pleasant theme presented well. Replayability and variability don't even enter the equation most of the time. It's an amazing production and that goes a really long way as long as the game isn't bad, and it's not. It just only has about as much meat on its bones as a sparrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, HiveGod, Frohike

More
26 Apr 2019 13:20 #296138 by MasonSokol

Vysetron wrote: I appreciate Wingspan more than I like it. As a game I think it's just OK. It really needs more card variety to stand toe to toe with games in its genre and the card effects aren't all that interesting.

What it's immensely successful at is being a game for the current market, who are looking for a game that reveals itself in roughly one play, looks nice, and has a pleasant theme presented well. Replayability and variability don't even enter the equation most of the time. It's an amazing production and that goes a really long way as long as the game isn't bad, and it's not. It just only has about as much meat on its bones as a sparrow.

Definitely agree, have a feeling this one will get regular expansions though and the puzzle might be smooth and interesting enough that I’ll be enraptured trying to perfect my play much like stone age has

im guessing that wont end up being the case and I’ll end up craving expansions but there are “low replayability” games like stone age that i could play forever
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, WadeMonnig

More
27 Apr 2019 18:28 #296175 by RolandHemisphere
After only a couple plays, Wingspan is sitting atop the Stonemaier pile for me. Unlike Scythe and Viticulture which are ponderous "race" games, this game can be played relatively quickly and it's lightness and simplicity is very... pleasant. It's lovely, a game perfectly suited to springtime. It's not flawless (bad card draws in the early games can hamper your progress) but the flaws are shaded be the beautiful production and it's plesant demeanor.

It's like an old friend has dropped by for a visit, unexpectedly, with a bottle of whiskey. Maybe it's not your favorite whiskey but that's not the most important part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton

More
29 Apr 2019 11:48 #296230 by RobertB
I'm interested, but not $100 worth of interested. I'm waiting for the second printing I guess.

More
29 Apr 2019 12:29 #296232 by Jackwraith
Heh. Third printing. The second one apparently sold out in a few minutes.

More
29 Apr 2019 20:22 #296263 by ubarose
I heard that another shipment is expected in August.

More
29 Apr 2019 21:39 #296265 by WadeMonnig
Third printing is due to hit stores in May. SM said they plan to have orders open from Their store in late July.
"Overall, the 3rd printing of Wingspan is relatively large. So if you don't need a copy soon, we encourage you to wait until May to buy a copy from your preferred retailer. The next time the game will be available to buy directly from Stonemaier Games is late July."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, RobertB

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds