October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Notes on Board Games

More
22 May 2019 20:58 #297518 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Notes on Board Games
Ha ha ha, if there is anything like a "Drag King" it would be the 'gamer gurlz' movement where women try to cloak themselves in the trappings of traditional adolescent male nerd culture. Not males participating in condensed masculinity, but women trying to appropriate it in order to tap into the financial success that anything cute with XX chromosomes can have with men. Geek prostitution, if you will.

See, with very little effort I can vomit out some alt-right gamergate nonsense that probably just triggered half the site. We can't just throw out woke terms and apply them to games to make us feel smart. We gotta make sure the words make sense and are appropriate.

Or maybe I'm binging on too much "Ash vs Evil Dead" and have overdosed on toxic masculinity and should be ignored :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2019 21:57 - 22 May 2019 21:58 #297519 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Notes on Board Games
I know that you are being facetious, but "gamer gurlz" culture is certainly a part of this conversation, as is gate-keeping. It's a valid place for your thoughts to go.

This piece is evocative. It sets the stage for free associating. Each note can be unpacked to reveal layers of meaning. There are so many ideas that it is hard to hold on to them all. But depending upon the reader and their personal experiences in board gaming and within the "board game community," their vulnerabilities and insecurities, their knowledge base and point of reference, something or a group of somethings will resonate, possibly positively or possibly negatively. And where that takes the reader really just depends on the reader. (It surprises me that Yaasss Queen is the bit that got it's hooks into people)

Also, it is a pretty f*ing subversive piece of work. So how comfortable you are with having the established order of your hobby, or maybe even your lifestyle or identity (depending upon how much board gaming defines your lifestyle or identity) upended is also going to influence your reaction to this piece.
Last edit: 22 May 2019 21:58 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, JonathanVolk

More
23 May 2019 00:43 - 23 May 2019 01:05 #297523 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Notes on Board Games
So yeah... this is going a little...

I mean, I get it. Intertexuality is sublimity but we're laying it on a little thick here.
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 May 2019 01:05 by Frohike.

More
23 May 2019 08:27 #297529 by JonathanVolk
Replied by JonathanVolk on topic Notes on Board Games
Shellie’s comments make me think of RuPaul’s famous line: “We’re all born naked, and the rest is drag.”

Added to the Required “Reading” List: Paris Is Burning, a great documentary about drag/ballroom culture. Play is of course its own kind of drag—we are trying on different states of being every time we sit down in the magic circle.

And it’s a different kind of drag to hear people say we’re “overthinking” it, or making connections where there aren’t any. Connecting the dots is, like, the story of our bodies coming together at the cellular level, the story of every side of a die, etc etc. God help me when I can’t make connections anymore—I’ll be alone in my certainties, and invulnerable.

AND Frank Frazetta’s work definitely strikes me as camp—gaudy, steroidally hyperbolic, male-gazed to hell and back, kind of beautiful too. It wouldn’t be out of place in a lot of art museums if he’d toned down on the Viking helmets, wrought-iron thongs, and goblins.

More
23 May 2019 10:52 - 23 May 2019 12:49 #297537 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Notes on Board Games
IANA media expert, by any stretch, So this take on Camp might be 'Well, duh,' for those of you who are.

Modern me can explain what I know about pointillism to 15-year-old me. "Artist paints with a three-hair brush." But modern me can't explain to 15-year-old me why that Frazetta painting is kind of campy, because 15-year-old-me thinks that stuff is AWESOME! The only thing that would make it cooler to him would be to paint it on the side of a van.

15-y-o me would have the same problem explaining why 60's TV Batman is camp to 7-year-old me. 7-y-o me thinks that the fistfights with the cartoon "KA-POW!" are the way all TV fistfights should be. (Heck, 58-y-o me thinks 7-y-o might have a point.)

In both those cases, all the time machine RobertBs have had to marinate in enough of a particular culture to judge something as campy. So, pointing to that Frazetta and asking, "Is this campy," is at its core, asking, "Have you experienced enough of this particular style that this extreme example of it is now a parody of the style, intentionally or not? And if the answer is 'yes', then we might share enough of a cultural background to have a 'deeper' conversation about a lot of other, similar things."

I guess that in the end, the question is more a request for a cultural signal, than it is a request for "Is x a type of y." You could make a neural network judge if a piece of music is an example of Bluegrass. I don't think you could get it to determine that a band like The Cleverlys is having fun with the form.
Last edit: 23 May 2019 12:49 by RobertB. Reason: Fixed some unclear phrasing
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike, JonathanVolk, Sulla

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds