October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Cthulhu Wars in Review

More
13 Nov 2015 15:21 #215000 by stoic
I'm just going to imagine that my Nexus Ops DOAM pieces are 10 times larger than they really are and play it. It will save me some serious cash. In my leisure though, I'll continue to worship Cthulhu and calculate non-Euclidian geometry in the Louisiana swamps adjacent to my home... ph'nglui mglw'nafh cthulhu r'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, SuperflyPete, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2015 15:39 #215002 by SuperflyPete
While you're at it, make up some cards for the factions that give them boosts every time they gain X amount of points or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
14 Nov 2015 14:08 #215035 by stoic

SuperflyTNT wrote: While you're at it, make up some cards for the factions that give them boosts every time they gain X amount of points or something.

There's been some discussion on that topic to make asymmetrical faction powers for Nexus Ops. I haven't experimented with it. You?

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/836321/tech...gy-sets-each-faction

www.artscow.com/Member/FileManager.aspx?folder=3283703&album=1

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1379745/nexus-ops-factions-variant
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
14 Nov 2015 14:13 #215036 by ThirstyMan

stoic wrote: ...... and calculate non-Euclidian geometry....

Wow, I do that all the time. Does that mean I'm a Cthulhu worshipper? Is that the same as a physicist?
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
14 Nov 2015 14:21 #215037 by stoic

ThirstyMan wrote:

stoic wrote: ...... and calculate non-Euclidian geometry....

Wow, I do that all the time. Does that mean I'm a Cthulhu worshipper? Is that the same as a physicist?

I'll consult Cthulhu and Lovecraft's interdimensional shade when I next see them in the swamp.

More
14 Nov 2015 16:02 #215038 by SuperflyPete
@Stoic: No. I don't own Nexus Ops anymore. Played it a bunch and kind of realized it's not deep enough for my DOAM tastes.

So, this happened today:

The bits seem smaller now. The box seems like it's mostly empty. Shellie has the battle foam in it and it makes sense...mine has bags.

The more I think about this the less I am seeing $150.00 in value there. Mine is a KS version, and I'm not seeing any stretch goals or anything.

If they were painted, totally $150.00 or even $200.00 but unpainted, I just don't see a hundred fifty dollars in the box.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, ChristopherMD, Msample, stoic

More
14 Nov 2015 17:00 #215039 by dfour
Tell me more about how you're not seeing the value, so I can stay strong and not give in in these final days.

More
14 Nov 2015 17:44 #215042 by SuperflyPete

dfour wrote: Tell me more about how you're not seeing the value, so I can stay strong and not give in in these final days.

• There's only 30-40 miniatures in the box. Granted, they're big, but still, there's not a lot.
  • The cardstock is thin. The copy I got was sleeved and still my reference cards are bent up.
  • Player mats are thin cardstock as well.
  • The box is as empty as Yig's soul. The box is HUGE and mostly empty. This means less structure. My box had torn corners and seams.
  • It's a far better-than-average DoaM, based on one play, but it's not 100$ better.
  • 50$ per expansion is STEEP AS FUCK. 13 models, 6 cardboard counters, a thin character sheet....and that's 50$? Suck a dick.
  • The "grandiosity" wears off. I played in Mass on Oct. 20th or so. It's not even a month later and now I'm looking at my copy thinking "I remember them being bigger"

I hope this helps. I'd be in for $100.00-$120.00 but for $150.00 I think it's a bit much. If it had a built-in 5th faction I'd be all over it.

More
14 Nov 2015 19:35 - 14 Nov 2015 20:02 #215044 by Hex Sinister
Shoddy cardstock is a real downer for a "Premium" title like this. Close enough to being a dealbreaker for me. Even shitty DotR had decent player boards.

I'm toying with the idea of asking my crew if they will split the cost of this + a 5th faction. I'm not rich enough to own a $200 shelf turd. If dudes put money in then it would get played. And I know for sure this would be a perfect game for everyone since we all have roots in CoC + DoaM. I dunno, it makes me feel greasy to ask lol.
Last edit: 14 Nov 2015 20:02 by Hex Sinister.

More
14 Nov 2015 20:28 #215046 by Michael Barnes
In the update Mr. Petersen "respectfully disagreed" with me about the cardboard in the game but it's just a fact- they do not meet the quality of the plastics even half way. The punchboards are a little thicker, but they are also of lower quality (visually and materially) than what you'd see in an FFG, Z-Man or Asmodee title. The player mats and tracks are thin cardstock, mine were "pre-bent" from shifting around in the box.

And the dice...they really bug me. You can buy a $25 game that has custom, etched dice. But in CW you literally get stock D6s...little ones. Black, not even green or something.

The board is fine, but nothing special and it's visually pretty bland...this is one place I will compare it to CitOW, which had a GREAT looking board. In a $60 product.

The figures really do make up for those disappointments, I'm sure they were quite expensive to sculpt, mold and assemble (a couple are multiple pieces). And this is some hard ass, "toy grade" plastic, not the brittle or bendy stuff game minis are usually made of.

If the game were made on a bigger scale by a larger company, I think they could have hit their margin target without cutting those kinds of corners.

The game is so good I overlook some of that...but there again, it's up to you to do the math and determine if it's all worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
14 Nov 2015 22:05 - 14 Nov 2015 22:07 #215047 by SuperflyPete
With all due respect and speaking from my own personal experience, I do think that a critic can overlook some shit when it arrives free of charge. That's one reason I never tell my crew if it's a review copy or not because I don't want to bias anyone when they vote.

I know I can overlook a lot of shit when I get something free. If someone moves and I get thier kitchen table, for example, the nicks and scratches don't bother me, but If I paid for it at a garage sale, I'd be far more critical.

Just my 2c.

With regard to THIS game, I'd love to know their budened cost. If they're not clearing 75$ a copy then they suck at life.

The shipping bill I got for receiving my copy from St Louis was $14.50 + 3 for insurance
Last edit: 14 Nov 2015 22:07 by SuperflyPete.

More
16 Nov 2015 11:42 #215121 by jpat
I really don't know how the various paper/thin cardstock inserts couldn't have been shrinkwrapped (probably against some sort of backing board to avoid immediate warping) or something to avoid the inevitable bent corners/edges. Or even have been put somewhere where they weren't going to slide around. The corners that were cut (no pun intended) on this production are kind of unconscionable. KS backers are getting improved tracks, and you can buy cardstock faction sheets, but all the money, I think, went into the plastic and that pretty insane insert (which both preserves the GOO minis and probably ensures that the others stacked below it are bent.

Speaking of, anyone know whether these minis are amenable to the hot water/cold water unbending trick? I've got at least one figure nearly doubled over. Haven't gotten through all of them yet; twas a wretched weekend in every respect.

More
16 Nov 2015 11:47 #215122 by SuperflyPete
I don't have any insert in my box.

More
16 Nov 2015 12:06 #215126 by Michael Barnes
OMG the insert.

It's like, 1/4 the weight of the box. It's not the usual thin vaccuform thing. It's like hard ass, heavy gauge plastic. Like, plano box plastic. And it's custom-molded to fit the GOO figures and the Dark Young. Thing is, once you take it out, the stuff doesn't really fit back in the box under it.

CERTAINLY that insert could have been ditched in favor of some kind of component upgrades. I don't know how much it cost to do that, but I can't imagine that it couldn't have been swapped out for punchboard administrative boards, custom dice or something.

Mine is sitting under the desk as a footrest. Thinking about recycling it because it has no other use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
16 Nov 2015 12:11 #215127 by SuperflyPete
What the hell!!?!? How come mine doesn't have this bad ass insert?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds