October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2634 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Why Do We Love Games Based on Movies, TV and Books?

More
07 Jun 2019 06:09 #298082 by Shapeshifter
My rational side tells me that there is a 99% chance an IP game will not come even close in emulating the thrills of watching the movie it was based on...simulating the cold-sweat thrills of running through narrow corridors chased by Aliens. Yet despite this, I still look forward to the GF9 "Aliens" game, regardless of the knowledge all the original designers of their golden age have left the boat.
I still hope to at least get a small part of the nostalgia vibe when I see an IP pass my radar. Especially stuff from my childhood (anything related to cinema from the '80) is sensitive for my cravings to at least revisit a snippet of the warm glow of the past.
I agree with Barnes that boardgames generally suck at creating interesting characters. But what games sometimes can do is translate the excitement of a specific scene into a tension-filled moment/decission in a game. For deep connections with characters RPG's are a far better medium. But short-time thrills can in my experience be transferred.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2019 07:54 #298087 by Legomancer
I'm one of the ones who feels that an IP game has to really stand out to overcome its IP nature. I don't want games based on films and shows I enjoy, because I don't want to play someone else's narrative. I don't want to navigate the fiddly bits of chrome that are there because "that's how it happened on the show". And I'm a nerd who recoils at fan service, so ensuring the fez and jammy dodger are in the Doctor Who game are as off-putting to me as the damn plastic dinosaurs in the Firefly game.

Ironically, I sometimes do enjoy exploring worlds created FOR a game. I like the Fallout worlds, and the Android ones. I loved exploring Magic narratives through flavor text, though I wasn't interested in the novels. But those worlds have to offer something beyond generic fantasy or sci fi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, RolandHemisphere

More
07 Jun 2019 08:53 #298088 by Sagrilarus
I'll just mention that 15 years ago games that had a pop theme were deemed junk prior to seeing them, simply because they had such an awful track record. There were a couple of shining exceptions, but the concept was snake-bit.

Gale Force 9 came along and reversed that trend, and I think that has rehabilitated the concept. But I don't know how long that will last, because recent games in the category haven't really been very good.

As for Star Wars, I've complained for years that FFG's games, in spite of being very different from each other, had remarkably interchangeable titles in the form "Star Wars: <Non-descriptive Noun>". I can't tell them apart until I see the pieces, which is an epic marketing failure if there ever has been one. My personal favorite -- Star Wars: Betrayal. Can any of you even picture the game in your mind?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, RobertB, fightcitymayor, WadeMonnig

More
07 Jun 2019 09:47 - 07 Jun 2019 09:53 #298091 by RobertB

Sagrilarus wrote: As for Star Wars, I've complained for years that FFG's games, in spite of being very different from each other, had remarkably interchangeable titles in the form "Star Wars: <Non-descriptive Noun>". I can't tell them apart until I see the pieces, which is an epic marketing failure if there ever has been one. My personal favorite -- Star Wars: Betrayal. Can any of you even picture the game in your mind?

FFG doesn't need me to take up for them, but here I am :) . I bet there's some kind of marketing or branding principle here, that makes them want to shrink the actual title down to what its shorthand title would be anyway. But on the box itself, they do provide a short description. For example, "Star Wars: Armada - A Game of Tactical Fleet Combat". Sitting right next to it here at work is "suburbia", and that's all you see on the box until you pick it up and flip it over.

I'll grant, though, that FFG is hanging Star Wars on any game that can conceivably hold it. "Star Wars: Micturition - A Galactic Pissing Contest Game".
Last edit: 07 Jun 2019 09:53 by RobertB.

More
07 Jun 2019 10:18 #298097 by Shellhead

DarthJoJo wrote: This is a little bit of a deviation from the original topic, but what about settings original to board games? How excited do people get for those?

There aren’t too many, off the top of my head there’s AEG’s Tempest and Fantasy Flight’s Arkham Horror Files, Terrinoth, Android and Twilight Imperium universes. Plaid Hat’s Mice & Mystics and Summoner Wars had spin-offs. Possibly Sentinels of the Multiverse as it had a miniatures implementation. I guess Warhammer could be a board game universe, too. Of course there’s Magic and all it’s planeswalkers. It’s even getting a Netflix release of some sort.

I'm usually not excited about original settings for boardgames. They tend to be bland imitations of IP, and there isn't much incentive for most game designers to put the effort into genuine world building. However, a lot of the material for the various games in the Arkham line are directly distilled from the excellent Lovecraft Country sourcebooks for Call of Cthulhu that Chaosium published in the late '80s. Even the layout of the various towns in Arkham Horror is based directly on the maps that came with each Lovecraft Country sourcebook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
07 Jun 2019 11:38 #298111 by fightcitymayor
As an associated question: Where do some of these IP fans come from?

Example: the Ghostbusters boardgame that Cryptozoic Kickstarted 4 years ago. It made $1.5 million with over 8000 backers, and suddenly everyone started acting like, "Yo, dawg, it's GHOSTBUSTERS! Everybody love them Ghostbusters! Auto-buy, dawg, git on board, yo!" And I sat here asking myself if I had ever, in my 40+ years of living on earth, actually had a conversation with another living soul about Ghostbusters. My answer was No. Yet somehow the hype machine got revved up (for what ended up being a predictably terrible game) and people lost their gotdayum minds for a minis-based KS game about f*cking GHOSTBUSTERS.

So how do people go from probably not even consciously thinking about an IP for probably several decades to suddenly wanting to take said IP into their loving breast and stroke it and kiss it and obsess over it and pretend they were world-class grade-A superfans all this time? That's the weirdest part for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Msample, DarthJoJo

More
07 Jun 2019 18:01 #298133 by Not Sure
Counterpoint, I parked next to this person at the library the other day.

I still don't really like licensed games much.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
08 Jun 2019 10:20 #298142 by Sevej

fightcitymayor wrote: As an associated question: Where do some of these IP fans come from?

Peer pressure, man.

More
08 Jun 2019 10:28 - 08 Jun 2019 10:29 #298143 by Josh Look

fightcitymayor wrote: As an associated question: Where do some of these IP fans come from?

Example: the Ghostbusters boardgame that Cryptozoic Kickstarted 4 years ago. It made $1.5 million with over 8000 backers, and suddenly everyone started acting like, "Yo, dawg, it's GHOSTBUSTERS! Everybody love them Ghostbusters! Auto-buy, dawg, git on board, yo!" And I sat here asking myself if I had ever, in my 40+ years of living on earth, actually had a conversation with another living soul about Ghostbusters. My answer was No. Yet somehow the hype machine got revved up (for what ended up being a predictably terrible game) and people lost their gotdayum minds for a minis-based KS game about f*cking GHOSTBUSTERS.

So how do people go from probably not even consciously thinking about an IP for probably several decades to suddenly wanting to take said IP into their loving breast and stroke it and kiss it and obsess over it and pretend they were world-class grade-A superfans all this time? That's the weirdest part for me.

I talk about Ghostbusters literally every day. No sarcasm.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2019 10:29 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula, n815e

More
08 Jun 2019 19:15 - 08 Jun 2019 19:19 #298153 by drewcula
I find most of these responses fascinating, largely because I completely disagree.
Playing board games tied to a particular IP is AWESOME!

Of course there are stinkers and cash grabs. There are also a lot of exceptional games that are richly thematic to existing properties.

Let me use a beloved character as an example. Batman. Who doesn't love Batman? I fucking adore Batman. Not all incarnations of the Detective, and I don't go as deep as all, but let's just say I know my way around the bat cave.

There is no ONE way to enjoy Bats. Read the comics. Watch the movies. Binge on the television shows and cartoons. I also happen to own a few Batman shirts. Christ, I wore a Gotham Bandits Under Armor shirt this morning while jogging. I have Danny Elfman's soundtrack in my car (I still listen to CDs). I own a Batman cake pan. I've played a few bad Batman video games, but I've also played a few great Batman video games. WHY THE HELL WOULDN'T I WANT TO PLAY A BATMAN BOARD GAME?!

I recently got Monolith's Batman: Gotham City Chronicles. I presume Barnes is referring to this system when he flippantly says it costs $500. I didn't pay $500. The core game is $130. But hey, if you wanna buy all of the expansions? Yeah, that will set you back. I digress.

Batman: Gotham City Chronicles is totally bad ass! It's not the second coming, but it is the second coming of Monolith's Conan. I enjoy Conan a lot. The rule book was rough around edges and many of the scenarios are wickedly one-sided, but I was excited to learn Batman would be using a refined version of the rules. It's neat. A few too many icons for my taste (twice as many as Conan), but it's one hell of a tactical game. In that regard, it's a very specific aspect of Batman. Primarily fighting and burglary. Detective work is minimal. Fine by my buddies and I. We got into it, and have been having a blast. Bonus, I'm going to enjoy painting them.

When my gaming buddies come over, we embrace the IP of the evening. Soundtracks, DVDs (on mute) playing in the background, themed foods, and the occasional costume.

Great Great Great stuff:
1) Spartacus = it's a toga party.
2) Men of Mayhem = we wear biker rings (NOTE: this game is about the gangs, which is why the game is not called Sons of Anarchy).
3) The Thing = we've been playing it in the winter with the windows open.
4) Dune = I don't need to say anything, except Duncan Idaho sucks.
5) Conan = 1 vs many in a system that really pays homage to the source material.
6) Batman: GCC = 1 vs many with some many deep diving scenarios (batcow), I'll need to revisit some Silver Age comics.
7) Murder She Wrote = what? F:ATties don't know it? I've held onto my copy since the late eighties. Social Deduction at its finest.
8) Hellboy = I'm no longer on the co-op train, but James Hewitt's design is kind of fun.
9) The Walking Dead = I'm not the biggest war gamer, but this can be a very clever skirmish where the Walkers are an equivalency of X-Wing asteroids that eat people.
10) Mars Attacks = I don't think anybody gives a shit about these gloriously gory Topps trading cards. Except for me. It just so happens the board game version is very campy and fun.
and
11) Ghostbusters. Yeah. I bought it. Confession; the 2nd boxed game ain't so hot. Rules were bloated and the hubris was a bit too large. JUST LIKE THE FILM. But the first Ghostbusters board game? Great fun. Yeah, it's a co-op and I'm not a fan of playing nice - but ghostbusters is a light, beer and pretzel goofy time.

I'd write more examples, but I'm going to the grill with a beer in hand. I'll think about having the group come for our next trip to Gotham. We're going to encounter the Scarecrow.

I'll also think about going to Origins next week, where I'll play a demo of Restoration's Games new version of Epic Duels, 'Unmatched.' You know. The version that Barnes is excited about. The version with public domain literary characters...

PS - Come to my house in D.C., and we'll play any of the above. I'll serve Batman cake.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2019 19:19 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Nodens, BillyBobThwarton, WadeMonnig, n815e

More
08 Jun 2019 21:48 #298154 by n815e
I feel like I can tell just about anyone “don’t cross the streams” and they will get the reference and what that means to the conversation at hand.

I currently have forty-ish games and 16 of them are related to some movie or book or television series (including at least one I have never seen an episode of). 8 others have been described as “it’s like the board game version of this...”.

Eclipse is the board game version of MOO. Stronghold is like Helms Deep. Argent is anime Harry Potter where Dumbledore is retiring. Cyclades is sort if like Clash of the Titans. And so on...

It’s easy to get someone interested in an IP game. It’s neat to be able to experience a story you love or change its course. It’s quick to identify with the characters you already know. Perhaps you want to explore the setting further.

The same reasons go into playing historical games, really. You want to participate in something you know or have interest in.

And this is how we determine if an IP game is thematic. Does it somehow reflect what we consider the essence of the subject through its mechanics? Do the designers “get” what it is about?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, Shellhead, BillyBobThwarton

More
08 Jun 2019 21:48 #298155 by Michael Barnes
I fail my save against IP when Sherlock Holmes and Dracula are involved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, drewcula, n815e

More
08 Jun 2019 22:17 #298156 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: I fail my save against IP when Sherlock Holmes and Dracula are involved.

You really need to read Planetary issue #13. Better yet, read all 27 issues.

More
08 Jun 2019 22:19 #298157 by Shellhead

n815e wrote: The same reasons go into playing historical games, really. You want to participate in something you know or have interest in.

Great insights in your post, but especially this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
09 Jun 2019 06:18 #298159 by Matt Thrower
The problem with these games is very simple: what we love most about books and films is often the surprise of the unfolding story. Board and card games cannot reproduce this in a coherent way. Surprise, story and strategy are poor bedfellows: you can only have two out of the three.

In terms of why X-Wing and Dune work over more generic counterparts, I actually think this is down to mechanics and presentation, not branding. Rex was changed in some unfortunate ways to try and make it faster and more appealling. There are actually some very good spaceship combat games but what sells the FFG titles is the quality of the pre-painted miniatures. There are plenty of franchised games that suck really badly, and don't really sell over their generic counterparts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fightcitymayor

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.386 seconds