October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Review - Is Dune the Second Coming?

More
05 Sep 2019 16:02 #301449 by hotseatgames
I got those plastic markers. Yes, they are really bad. So bad that I may not even use them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2019 17:18 #301453 by Jackwraith
The hilarious thing about them is that most of them represent stuff that's instantaneous (worm/nexus, atomics) and doesn't last. Sure, you can put the mushroom cloud marker on the board for two seconds... but then take it off, because it's in the way and the battle is over.

The only one I thought was vaguely useful was the phase marker for introducing new players to the progression of the turn.

More
05 Sep 2019 17:24 #301454 by Michael Barnes
I almost feel like those minis are GF9/EON straight up trolling...they are pure garbage. Pretty much useless. It’s almost like they just threw them out there as a Kickstarter-like FOMO joke.

More
05 Sep 2019 17:31 #301455 by Michael Barnes
war is really a secondary concern for Herbert. His real attention is saved for religion, messiahs, culture-shifting revolutions.

But part of the genius of Dune is that it makes room for all of that. You get the rise of a Messiah. You get religious factions meddling in political affairs. You get the critique of colonial, imperial mercantilism. You have all of the ecological themes embodied in the reactions of the planet itself. It’s not really as much of a wargame as it seems, definitely not as much as many other DoaMs. It’s an economic game focused on opportunity, investment costs, and capitalization. It’s a highly diplomatic game of course, and in the alliances you can see some of the broader themes emerge. There’s a lot going on beyond the combat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, DarthJoJo

More
05 Sep 2019 17:33 #301456 by Gary Sax

Michael Barnes wrote: I almost feel like those minis are GF9/EON straight up trolling...they are pure garbage. Pretty much useless. It’s almost like they just threw them out there as a Kickstarter-like FOMO joke.

The starbase plastic minis for ascendancy are flat out complete garbage too so there's precedent.

More
05 Sep 2019 17:54 #301458 by Michael Barnes
These are WORSE. By like, a lot.

More
05 Sep 2019 18:42 #301460 by The Captain
Gale Force 9? So, another game that doesn't include a decent playmat? Been there. Done that. Gale Force 9 won't fool me again.

More
05 Sep 2019 21:53 #301469 by Jackwraith

Gary Sax wrote: The starbase plastic minis for ascendancy are flat out complete garbage too so there's precedent.

Aren't those resin? Because they were an exception to the model design for the rest of the game, which is excellent. The best thing about the Borg expansion, in fact, are the models. I kept reading bad reports about the starbases, so I never bothered to pick them up. Plus, they're also all gray (i.e. not in the faction colors), which means that it would end up being confusing when looking at the table. Those are pretty much the only things that I don't have for ST:A (yes, I went in for the extra ships and even the dice for all the factions; I really love that game.) I wonder if they're going to have dice for the Vulcans and Andorians...?

More
05 Sep 2019 21:59 #301470 by Gary Sax
Yeah, that sounds right, they're probably not plastic. The ships are nice.

More
05 Sep 2019 23:10 #301471 by san il defanso
I've not had eyes on the new edition yet, but one of the big changes I hope they made is to sand away the distinction between "advanced rules" and "optional rules" that made the original release so confusing. All of the optional rules should be in the game full stop, though I've never played the advanced rules at all.

I think Joel makes mention of the new game needing a set time when spice can change hands. I've actually played this way before, where any spice given in deals is placed in front of a screen, and then it gets put behind the screen at the end of the turn. The idea was that it wanted to prevent the guild or the emperor from torpedoing the whole thing right in the middle of the turn. I'm not sure if that cuts into the designed openness of the experience or not, but I thought it played pretty well.

I know that WBC plays to 10 turns instead of 15, which is a bit more sane. But I do like the possibility of every spice-producing territory eventually getting a spice blow. I also think that a longer setup does allow someone (like the Harkkonen) to claw their way back into the game at a later point after they've been sitting out of the action for a while.

Still an amazing game. I've not played in years now, mostly because I've moved so much. But it's one of my favorites.

More
06 Sep 2019 11:56 - 06 Sep 2019 11:59 #301489 by JoelCFC25

san il defanso wrote: I've not had eyes on the new edition yet, but one of the big changes I hope they made is to sand away the distinction between "advanced rules" and "optional rules" that made the original release so confusing. All of the optional rules should be in the game full stop, though I've never played the advanced rules at all.

In this edition you either play the Basic Game (which corresponds to the Basic Game of the original, barring the turn length change and other minor adjustments, or the Advanced Game (which corresponds to the Optional *plus* Advanced rules of the original).

Nothing would stop you from cherry-picking which parts you do and don't want to include, but going strictly by their book, if you want the faction-specific advantages that came from original Optional rules (XV. Additional Character Advantages) you will necessarily be playing the Advanced game, i.e. advanced combat with spice-supported troops.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2019 11:59 by JoelCFC25.

More
06 Sep 2019 12:15 #301491 by hotseatgames
I was planning on using advanced rules minus paying spice for combat and double spice blow. Sound good? I think that's what was recommended here.

More
06 Sep 2019 12:21 #301492 by charlest
That's what we've used to great effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
06 Sep 2019 12:42 #301495 by Michael Barnes
Co-signed. That’s the way we have been playing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
06 Sep 2019 12:52 #301497 by bfkiller
I assume there's no real reason for someone to pick up the GF9 version if they (like me) own a perfectly playable copy of the AH version?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds