October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Fury of Dracula - Love It of Hate It?

More
11 Oct 2019 10:06 #302356 by ubarose
Fury of Dracula by Stephen Hand was originally published by Games...

Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2019 10:45 #302357 by Shellhead
I haven't played 1st or 4th edition, but I am still fond of Fury of Dracula 2nd. The box cover is a little cheesy, but otherwise the components do a nice job of delivering the gothic horror atmosphere. With the exception of the combat system, the game mechanics are solid, and the board is nicely designed to offer a challenging deduction puzzle for the hunters. The combat system is okay, but is essentially a complex version of rock-paper-scissors with some fiddly elements. 3rd edition is a different experience, but I found it overall to be equal to 2nd edition in quality. I normally don't paint my minis, but I did paint my Fury of Dracula figures because the game got so much play and the gameplay improved a bit when players no longer moved the wrong piece by mistake.

More
11 Oct 2019 11:05 - 11 Oct 2019 11:07 #302359 by Josh Look
I’m working on my top 5 horror games blog post, as promised, and spoilers: Fury of Dracula is #2 on the list.

Any edition of the game is worth playing, but 3rd/4th is superior enough to matter. Don’t get me wrong, 2nd is the version of the game I fell in love with, but Dracula is not enough of a threat for my liking and it has some really goofy, silly stuff in it and I don’t care for that in my Dracula. BLEH, LETS TELEPORT HALFWAY ACROSS THE BOARD, ISNT THIS FUN, BLEH. The dice rolling combat in 2nd is weak, no argument for it, and the variety in encounters in 3rd make a *HUGE* difference, not to mention cards being easier than the tokens.

But really, any version of the game is the best hidden movement experience around.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2019 11:07 by Josh Look.

More
11 Oct 2019 11:18 #302362 by WadeMonnig
Love it but it is an "event" game that I end up playing about once per year.

More
11 Oct 2019 11:29 #302364 by hotseatgames
I had third edition, and while I liked it, it didn't go over big in my group due to its long play time and people feeling like they had no chance. They didn't actually GIVE it a chance. I sold it at a tidy profit once it got hard to find, and will probably not grab the 4th edition just due to it not seeing the table.

More
11 Oct 2019 11:51 #302371 by dysjunct
Only ever played 2nd. Played the heck out of it and loved it, but like most FFG games, the rules are fiddly with a bunch of weird exceptions, which meant I was always Dracula. Also Dracula is not terribly furious, which would lead to things like me purposefully playing suboptimally just to have a semi-exciting combat -- but if I'm going to do that, I might as well play an RPG.

More
11 Oct 2019 12:06 #302375 by Shellhead
I played a lot of FoD for the first few years after 2nd was published. Saw some dramatically different games over time. One really smart player was looking forward to his first chance to play Dracula, but we accidentally found him early. Instead of masterminding a prolonged battle of wits, he found himself in a rapidly escalating series of fights and won around turn 6 or so just by whacking hunters. Another time, a clever Dracula decided to follow one of the hunters, because that player was a lightweight gamer who was just playing so he could hang out with friends. On turn two, he decided to move back to where he started, even though the rest of us tried to persuade him otherwise. He bumped into Dracula, who died a turn later after another hunter jumped on the dogpile. Usually our games ran more like 3 hours, with a lot of table talk between the hunters.

More
11 Oct 2019 13:21 - 11 Oct 2019 17:40 #302386 by Jackwraith
Played 1st edition, back in the day, 'cuz I'm old. Liked it, as the one GW board game production that had the least amount of "Total randomness is FUN!" Decided to actually own 2nd when FFG redesigned it, which was a massive improvement mechanically, but the combat system was a failing and the small number of "Take that!" cards included was, as well. "We have Dracula cornered in Belfast-! ... And now he's in Sofia..." You could just see the light drain out of your Hunters' eyes (yes, I was almost always Dracula) and not because it'd been sucked out by one of Dracula's wives. (Hm. Are we still doing 'phrasing'?)

When it went out of print, I went through a period where money was needed, so I sold it for a nice chunk of change (I think my collection shrank by over half at that point.) Literally a month after I did so, FFG announced 3rd edition... with the incredibly cheesy cover art(!?) But, since I was in a better spot then, I picked one up and I still like it. It just doesn't see the table that often. There's one guy at one of the weekly FLGS gatherings who keeps bringing it and trying to shoehorn it in after we've been there for a while, despite everyone warning him that the store closes in a little over an hour and we will never, ever finish it. He's determined, though.

Would I bring it out as a "Halloween"-type event, as Wade references? I dunno. It's fun, but I have better/faster "all vs 1" games (The Others/TE Zombies) that fit that theme if we wanted to do something like that. I think the shine has come off from playing 2nd as many times as we did. I think it's still a worthwhile game, regardless of the time of year, though.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2019 17:40 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
11 Oct 2019 16:46 #302397 by Ah_Pook

WadeMonnig wrote: Love it but it is an "event" game that I end up playing about once per year.

yea this. i had one friend who really enjoyed it but they moved away, so now i bring it every once in a while to game night and no one wants to play it. maybe tonight?

More
11 Oct 2019 19:16 #302405 by Erik Twice
I really like the combat system in 3rd edition! Not that I have played any other version of the game.

I like it. I haven't played it enough to say more but I would always be willing to play. My gaming companions weren't too hot on the game, though. I think it hasn't had the chance to shine. Slow play and not quite grasping the strategy must have hurt it.

More
12 Oct 2019 09:43 #302419 by drewcula
I adore this game. I'm playing the 3rd edition on 10/30, and again on 11/6. This schedule has been a gaming constant for the past three years. Like Wade, this title is an "event" for me. As host Dracula, my gaming hunters and I go all out for the evening. Behind me, a muted screening on Bram Stoker's Dracula will be running. The film's nudity and violence is great at distracting the hunters. I'm not even below poisoning my opponents; a serve a communal bowl of Count Chocula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

More
13 Oct 2019 08:36 #302432 by wadenels
I love it. I have 1st edition and 3rd edition. I manage to play the 1st edition at least a few times a year and it's one of my favorite games. I consider it one of the most thematic games I own. I always play Dracula and love crouching behind the little screen and reading the thematic text, making menacing faces at the hunters, the whole shtick. Third edition I've played less, but I managed to get a game scheduled for next Saturday so I'm pretty happy about that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
13 Oct 2019 20:10 #302444 by Yugblad
3rd edition is my favourite.
I also INSIST that the Dracula player wear a black cape (with red lining) - which I always bring over with the game!

More
13 Oct 2019 20:38 #302445 by Jackwraith
The only thing we ever insisted on is when you draw from the bottom of the Event deck and it turns out to be a Dracula card, the Dracula player has to say: "Sweet! Thanks!" as he/she accepts the card. It's a rule.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
14 Oct 2019 00:09 #302446 by Michael Barnes
One of the all time greatest games.

Oddly, I’ve been lax on getting the new edition (I’ve had all three previous ones)...and I’ve kind of been thinking that I want to go back to 1st edition to be honest. It’s simpler, a little goofier, and I love the classic heavy line GW art.

3rd/4th edition is pretty great though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds