October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Josh Look's Top 5 Horror Games

More
05 Nov 2020 10:39 #315946 by drewcula
Jeez.

Let's be clear. It's me. Drewcula. I am the one first responding, following-up, and posting questions on this thread. I like this topic, expressed as much, and acknowledged that I was busting Josh's chops over his decisions. Josh offers a rationale. It's a back-and-forth. It's a forum. About games. Fury of Dracula was a 'flash point' this year. Last year, it was Last Friday.

I'm really not losing sleep over this. But I'll be honest here, the reactions are a bit weird.

Shellie calls my posts "stifling" and "limiting?" Josh calls me a "goon" an encourages me to leave the site? WTF?

You're both still invited to my house. Every F:ATtie has a seat at my table! But now, I'm going to spill beer on Josh's Lifeform & I'm going to melt Shellie's favorite Funkoverse character in the microwave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Rliyen, dysjunct, Jackwraith, sornars, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2020 10:43 #315948 by drewcula

Shellhead wrote: Games that I no longer like:

Arkham Horror 1st edition: I actually still like this version of the game, I just can't think of a situation where I would ever play it again instead of 2nd edition. I suppose the smaller table space requirements and the shorter play time would make it plausible.

Chill: Black Morn Manor: Sold my copy more than a decade ago. It was fun back in the day, but the endgame was always problematic. Picture a football game going into overtime and the game just won't end until one team scores. Should have been about a 2 hour game, but can easily run 3 hours, wearing out the welcome mat.

Illuminati: I like the idea and much of the game, but the protracted endgame eventually became a dealbreaker. It's a multi-player game where the leader is clearly identified and leader-bashing tends to double the length of the game.

I keep my copy of Black Moor Manor for reasons unknown. It rests on a shelf, now a mere curiosity in the history of horror gaming. I reckon it's the harbinger of Betrayal. Great in theory, but I agree - a bit too flawed in the end game.

More
05 Nov 2020 12:22 #315951 by Gary Sax
I think tensions are a little high for everyone in this current covid environment, which means actions and reactions can be loaded with a lot of unintended meaning. So let's all just try to give each other a little grace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Nodens

More
05 Nov 2020 13:42 - 05 Nov 2020 15:25 #315957 by ubarose

drewcula wrote: Jeez.

Let's be clear. It's me. Drewcula. I am the one first responding, following-up, and posting questions on this thread. I like this topic, expressed as much, and acknowledged that I was busting Josh's chops over his decisions. Josh offers a rationale. It's a back-and-forth. It's a forum. About games. Fury of Dracula was a 'flash point' this year. Last year, it was Last Friday.

I'm really not losing sleep over this. But I'll be honest here, the reactions are a bit weird.

Shellie calls my posts "stifling" and "limiting?" Josh calls me a "goon" an encourages me to leave the site? WTF?

You're both still invited to my house. Every F:ATtie has a seat at my table! But now, I'm going to spill beer on Josh's Lifeform & I'm going to melt Shellie's favorite Funkoverse character in the microwave.

I'm sorry Drewcula. The "stifling" and "limiting" comment was NOT directed specifically at you. From my experience here and elsewhere (even at home - The Spawn, "But yesterday you said..."), that once someone calls into question the fact that someone has changed their mind about one thing, people tend to pile on and call into question their credibility on everything they have ever said or done. So my comment was more a warning shot over the bow to everyone not to dog pile on Josh (or any of other writers in this manner), as I do know that our writers are hesitant to waiver on their opinions, and gear up to defend themselves when they do in anticipation of the dog pile.

Drewcula, I like the back and forth, and always appreciate your thoughts, especially on Horror games. I was rather surprised and confused that FoD become a "flash point," since I know that it is a favorite of both yours and Josh's (even if he may drop it from his next list). Maybe it is because it wasn't entirely clear that you were "busting Josh's chops." As Gary Sax says, tensions are running high.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2020 15:25 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
05 Nov 2020 15:12 #315968 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Josh Look's Top 5 Horror Games
I haven't had a lot of success connecting to horror games outside of ARKHAM HORROR and it's adjuncts. Whether its my game group/family or me, the themes aren't enough to get me through a bad game. ZOMBIES!!! was everywhere for a while, but it's not good. It's not fun, and the ideas there are way more fun than the game. I'd rather just talk about zombies than talk about them as we play a bad game about them.

ARKHAM (2e) is a big begangly mess, but it's a good game at it's core. Rolling for successes as a mechanic is solid, and the narrative options are hilarious and well-handled on the Encounter cards. It's my role-playing game of choice, which will probably upset a whole other swath of people.

FURY OF DRACULA is also a really good game. I've only played it a couple times, but I love SCOTLAND YARD and SCOTLAND YARD where the bad guy can kick your ass if you find them wrong is cool.

As for the meta-discussion, folks can change their minds. I am absolutely counting on this as we moved forward in our lives, my mental health depends on this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ah_Pook

More
05 Nov 2020 15:59 #315969 by drewcula
Shellie, now I'll just melt down your least favorite Funkoverse mini ;)

I'm guessing Blanche.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds