October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Beyond the Veil - The Arkham Horror Card Game: Forgotten Age - Untamed Wilds

More
02 Jan 2020 10:45 #305695 by thegiantbrain
We have faced the Dunwich Legacy, walked the Path to...

This article will look at an individual scenario of Arkham Horror: The Card Game. These will be my impressions after playing through the scenario and will be focusing on the mechanics and how those reinforce the story elements of a given scenario. These articles will contain extensive spoilers and assume a familiarity with the terms and mechanics of the game. Please do not read on if you have not played the scenario in the title yet.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2020 14:22 #305696 by DarthJoJo
“ Honestly I am not entirely sure that I am comfortable with the first scenario in this campaign. Although the cast of the LCG is very diverse it still feels a little like the white man coming into native territory to grab their stuff. There is a fine line to walk and I am not sure the writing in this scenario gets it right 100% of the time leaving a bad taste in the mouth.”

I remember this coming up in a couple of places when the expansion was announced, but I disagree in that I think it was generally handled well over the entirety of the campaign. This first scenario does lean hard on ‘we don’t belong here’ tropes, but mechanically the Eztli are represented as just wanting to protect their stuff. They are clearly not the aggressors here. Furthermore, the whole plot kicks off because of the investigators and their actions in Mexico. If you hadn’t shown up, the time stream would have been just fine.

But yeah, this might somehow be my favorite campaign. It does include my least favorite scenario of all time and can absolutely feel unfair in ways that you don’t see in other campaigns, but it works for me. It’s nice to get out of Arkham and the city.

More
03 Jan 2020 03:25 #305719 by thegiantbrain
I agree that it plays out well over the course of the campaign but I still felt a little uncomfortable, especially as I was playing the Priest which gave it an added 'bring religion to the savages vibe'.

Forgotten Age is my least favourite campaign so far. I think the first half of it is pretty good, pulpy style storytelling. It then falls apart a bit in the second half. It really felt like there was some padding in the latter half. It got me wondering about them making shorter campaigns, maybe with a cheaper core to compensate for the shorter story.

More
05 Jan 2020 21:15 #305815 by DarthJoJo

thegiantbrain wrote: I agree that it plays out well over the course of the campaign but I still felt a little uncomfortable, especially as I was playing the Priest which gave it an added 'bring religion to the savages vibe'.

Forgotten Age is my least favourite campaign so far. I think the first half of it is pretty good, pulpy style storytelling. It then falls apart a bit in the second half. It really felt like there was some padding in the latter half. It got me wondering about them making shorter campaigns, maybe with a cheaper core to compensate for the shorter story.

There definitely is padding in the back half. Eliminating City of Archives wouldn't change the story at all, but I enjoy its gimmick too much to want it cut. I absolutely hate Heart of the Elders. It's a straight, repetitive grind, and I can't imagine anything in the Return box changing that. However, because of the more proactive state of the investigators in this campaign, it's necessary to make failure in Boundary Beyond work narratively. In the other campaigns you could always handwave a failed scenario with 'you found a clue' and are back on the trail but not in Forgotten Age.

One of the things I was most excited for with the release of Dream Eaters was the two four-part campaign structure. Sometimes I do want to bang out a campaign over the weekend with my wife or friends, and that's not happening in a traditional campaign. It's been kind of a pain during release because I don't want to keep rebuilding decks in between every pack drop, but I'm confident it'll be worth it in the end. Unfortunately, I can't see Fantasy Flight ever trying a six- or five-part campaign. They're too wedded to the deluxe and six pack release format of LCGs since time immemorial.

And, for what it's worth, I'm fairly sure Father Mateo is canonically Mexican. I'm pretty sure none of the new characters Fantasy Flight has introduced in the LCG and Eldritch Horror have been white. Whether that makes a difference to 'bringing religion to the savages' I don't know.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds