NEW and Upcoming Games
U
ubarose
July 30, 2020
441 0

Star Wars Outer Rim in Review

More
13 Jan 2020 22:10 #306120 by san il defanso
Re: the board. It's main effect is to drastically simplify route-finding. If finding routes through complex networks is your deal, then it will be disappointing. That's why this game hasn't really replaced Merchant of Venus for me. That game is much more about pick-up-and-deliver than Outer Rim is. But by simplifying the navigation, it allows the game to focus on the narrative beats of the experience. This is very much in keeping with Star Wars, where getting from here to there is as easy as punching in some hyperspace coordinates. The NPC ships change the alchemy quite a bit though, and I think the board also forces you to reckon with them more than in something like Merchants & Marauders.

M&M is actually the game that I think is hurt most by Outer Rim in my own situation. The adventure elements of that game are much better realized here, and Outer Rim is also a less overwrought experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2020 22:17 #306121 by SebastianBludd

Road Judge wrote: I'll admit seeing the half circle board for OR I was wondering if after a couple games if it will feel same-y but your review gives me hope that I'll enjoy it with multiple plays.

There are rules for setting up a random map if you ever get tired of the default setup, though I imagine some random configurations wouldn't be balanced.

I've played Firefly, Wasteland Express and OR recently and OR is easily my favorite. Firefly takes too long and the action system for WE is positively baroque as compared to OR's streamlined goodness. As the guy who usually brings the game, I wouldn't hesitate to play OR with nongamers.

In our last session I spent too long searching the market decks and ended up third, but on the other hand I got to play as Bossk and was hunting bounties with my jetpack and vibro-axe at the end while destroying patrols with IG-88's ship, which was quite satisfying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, san il defanso

More
13 Jan 2020 23:20 #306123 by Jarvis
I got this at Christmas as well and just played it over the weekend for the first time. I look forward to playing it again, but I’m not sold that it replaces Firefly or M&M yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
13 Jan 2020 23:49 - 13 Jan 2020 23:52 #306127 by Gary Sax

jpat wrote: (And how did I miss that Corey had left FFG last year? I read [and just now alluded to] what seemed at the time to be an oddly valedictory retrospective, but I feel like I should've registered it more.)

Quietly one of the top 5 designers of the past 15 years (to me) being cut loose of the FFG constraints is definitely important.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2020 23:52 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
14 Jan 2020 09:33 #306133 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Star Wars Outer Rim in Review

Gary Sax wrote:

jpat wrote: (And how did I miss that Corey had left FFG last year? I read [and just now alluded to] what seemed at the time to be an oddly valedictory retrospective, but I feel like I should've registered it more.)

Quietly one of the top 5 designers of the past 15 years (to me) being cut loose of the FFG constraints is definitely important.

It will be interesting to see what he does, but he is still working for Asmodee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton, Ah_Pook

More
14 Jan 2020 11:12 #306137 by Msample
I've played SW:OR the last two weekends and we both enjoy it . I think with lower player counts bounties are a tad harder, as you don't have as many tokens getting revealed; we both did mainly jobs and cargoes.

It does make me want to bust out Merchants of Venus, as I do miss the exploration aspect as well the route development that happens in that game .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Jan 2020 11:45 #306139 by the_jake_1973
If I was more into SW, I would probably pick it up. It does look like a good game and I would certainly play it. Alas, M&M works for me in both theme, player interaction, the expansion options, etc. I think I am one of the few people who does not have a negative opinion of the ship to ship combat. The NPC ships work in my mind in as much as they were not always a physical threat, but lurking about to make you think up other routes to get to your goal. the sea is a big place.

I do hope one of my friends buys it so I can play it eventually.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds