October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Fear of the New

More
18 Feb 2020 09:40 #307204 by oliverkinne
Fear of the New was created by oliverkinne
First of all, there are simply too many games released...

Sure. It's always great to play with the latest shinies and be at the cutting edge of what board games have to offer. It makes you feel trendy, in-the-know or it's just great to have bought something new. I love it myself. It's amazing when someone offers you a game for review that hasn't been released yet. You feel honoured. It's a special thing. It just makes you happy, and enjoying games has a lot to do with happiness for a lot of people. However, there is also the flipside. It can be stressful, and often very expensive, to always hunt for the latest game, the newest release. Your fear of missing out can turn into panic. That's when it's time to remind ourselves where our interest in the hobby started.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Jexik, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 19:32 #307235 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Fear of the New
My sense is that longtime users of this site (and its predecessor) generally aren't that keen on collecting games for the sake of it, or for "following the crowd" and wanting to play all the newest stuff just to say they have. So the "keep playing great games repeatedly" credo will find a lot of purchase here.

When my kids were very young, I was largely absent from gaming forums for a few years and had little to no sense of what was en vogue at any point in time, unless I was able to make a rare foray out with my group. It's almost like I live a couple full years behind wherever the tastemakers and "try all the hot new games" hobbyists are--but that's OK. If you build up a stable of people whose reviews/ratings/comments you grow to trust, you can pretty easily discover after the fact which titles are most likely to be winners for your tastes, and which others might have had a meteoric rise in gaming mindshare but didn't hold up over time. Unless it's a super niche game from a boutique publisher, it's probably obtainable (or will come back in a reprint).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Sagrilarus, lj1983, Frohike, Nodens, n815e

More
18 Feb 2020 19:56 #307236 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Fear of the New
Boy, Joel makes a point. One of the reasons I like posting here is that most opinions come from a position of experience.

I was on Reddit the other day talking about Thunder Alley and its negotiative aspect and the guy on the other end didn't think there was any negotiation in the game at all. Didn't strike me as dumb, just not very experienced with the game. A lot of people have only one or two plays in of most if not all games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, lj1983, n815e

More
18 Feb 2020 19:57 - 18 Feb 2020 20:05 #307237 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Fear of the New
^I always argue playing and exploring games many times is an informal core site value.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2020 20:05 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, lj1983, boothwah, Frohike

More
18 Feb 2020 20:32 #307242 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Fear of the New

Gary Sax wrote: ^I always argue playing and exploring games many times is an informal core site value.

I would agree. I have been pleasantly enriched by the discussions on these forums. And they have led me to a number of sound purchases that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

Even when there is a hot take on a game here, it's much more informative....especially on negative takes. Instead of just hard panning a game that was played once, the contributors and crowd around here tend to skew towards, "it's not my cup of tea" and a delineation of the games mechanisms that hit and miss with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, Frohike

More
21 Feb 2020 05:35 #307331 by oliverkinne
Replied by oliverkinne on topic Fear of the New
I'm glad that people here see it as important that games should be played multiple times to fully enjoy them. It's very refreshing, when in other places everyone seems to talk about the new hotness all the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Jexik, Frohike

More
21 Feb 2020 17:28 #307358 by Road Judge
Replied by Road Judge on topic Fear of the New
I probably average two games days a month of 5-6 hours each so learning a new game all the time takes away time I'd rather play games I know and I can just sit down. And start right away.

In summers I'm gaming 3-4 times a week as my son is home from college so learning a couple new ones is not at big a deal. But I still like playing games he and I have played a lot before as we have history in that game so as we play game 20 of something, we'll remember a memorable moment from a previous game and talk about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
22 Feb 2020 16:12 #307376 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Fear of the New
Yeah, I'd much rather play one game 25 times than 25 games once. It's a mixture of my personality and liking to save money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, birdman37

More
29 Feb 2020 11:01 #307577 by oliverkinne
Replied by oliverkinne on topic Fear of the New
It's really lovely to hear that others enjoy playing the same game multiple times, rather than always focus on the latest hotness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
02 Mar 2020 15:12 #307609 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Fear of the New
To me, "fear of the new" is not wanting to waste my time with a new unproven game when I have so many proven awesome games I could play instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, lj1983, Frohike

More
02 Mar 2020 15:15 #307610 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Fear of the New

quozl wrote: To me, "fear of the new" is not wanting to waste my time with a new unproven game when I have so many proven awesome games I could play instead.

Fear of wasting time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, lj1983

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds