October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

MÖRK BORG Review– Dungeons and Downtuning

More
04 Jun 2020 10:00 #310922 by Andi Lennon
The world is burning, jackbooted storm-troopers blanket the streets in...

“The wind from the west, from the sundered land. Rot rides it, and the stench of blood. Cursed walker, will you travel there?”

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2020 13:00 #310923 by MattFantastic
This looks rad! I love the mixtape. We wanted to do something like it for Stoner Parking Lot but all the rights stuff made it largely impossible, so I had to settle for a Spotify playlist.

Side note: I really dig your writing style and also feel constantly conflicted about Morrissey...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Andi Lennon

More
04 Jun 2020 17:39 #310929 by Andi Lennon

MattFantastic wrote: This looks rad! I love the mixtape. We wanted to do something like it for Stoner Parking Lot but all the rights stuff made it largely impossible, so I had to settle for a Spotify playlist.

Side note: I really dig your writing style and also feel constantly conflicted about Morrissey...

Alright, so I'm about to look up Stoner Parking Lot and it better feature a dude in a zebra print onesie.

More
04 Jun 2020 18:14 #310931 by Michael Barnes
Well I was going to post my review of Oathmark today (which is excellent) but I would rather this stay in the spotlight. This book is -astonishing-. I don’t have a physical copy yet but the PDF is incredible and the print design is quite simply among the very best I have ever seen in hobby gaming. I almost giggle every time I look at it because it is just so damn good looking.

It’s funny, you look at much of the 5e stuff that’s out there in DTRPG or wherever and you have folks deliberately mimicking D&D’s staid, beige, corporate style. And I’m like...why?

Thing is, as much as I love the old Otis/Trampier stuff, it’s quaint and not very scary or really all that weird anymore. But this...it is!

Side note- Did you know Scrap Princess has some t shirts on Redbubble? I am totally buying the skeleton warrior one.

The rules are also exactly what I want- which is to say, there aren’t many and I’m encouraged to make it up. The inspiration is what matters, not the minutiae rules.

As for Morrissey...I see his downfall into elderly right wing conservatism and racism as part of his very distinctly British self-imposed tragedy. I -almost- think that he’s messing with people but...whatever, I got to see him storm off the stage in a tiff during “There is a Light That Never Goes Out” at a show where David Byrne and Nancy Sinatra were sitting in the front row so My Morrissey experience is complete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
04 Jun 2020 18:48 #310933 by Andi Lennon
[quote="Michael Barnes" post=310931This book is -astonishing-. I don’t have a physical copy yet but the PDF is incredible and the print design is quite simply among the very best I have ever seen in hobby gaming. I almost giggle every time I look at it because it is just so damn good looking.[/quote]

Yeah man, they've raised the bar impossibly high for both presentation and also accessibility for something so steeped in the arcane. It's a breeze to get started and yet inspirational enough to dig deep cryptic trenches to plumb. I look forward to hearing more about Oathmark.

In gaming, as in music- the underground is the most exciting place to be.

More
04 Jun 2020 19:03 #310934 by Michael Barnes
Oddly, Oathmark is kind of the exact opposite...it’s a war game, not RPG, but it is all rules and virtually nothing atmospheric, world-building, or inspirational. It’s a really, really good rules set but it lacks the spark that even Frostgrave or Rangers of Shadoe Deep (same designer) have. The art is extremely good- it’s Osprey- but it’s just not evocative. It doesn’t make you want to just smash your face into the book over and over again like this stuff does.

More
04 Jun 2020 19:51 #310936 by Andi Lennon

MattFantastic wrote: This looks rad! I love the mixtape. We wanted to do something like it for Stoner Parking Lot but all the rights stuff made it largely impossible, so I had to settle for a Spotify playlist.

Side

Ok, so despite the apparent lack of zebra clad heshers and an official Judas Priest soundtrack cassette, your game looks pretty rad. And Wade's review of it here was a riot :) Are there any copies still in print? I see a tin for pre-order?

More
04 Jun 2020 22:42 #310937 by Andi Lennon

Michael Barnes wrote: As for Morrissey...I see his downfall into elderly right wing conservatism and racism as part of his very distinctly British self-imposed tragedy. I -almost- think that he’s messing with people but...whatever,.

Much like John Lydon, sadly. These were written a long time ago and things have escalated since then, but it kind of encapsulates the struggle of still adoring The Smiths whilst his baffling conservatism continues to rankle and leave us sleepless:

mongolcult.com/2017/10/09/we-always-beco...life-with-morrissey/

mongolcult.com/2016/11/08/reclaiming-morrissey/

Feels more like a thread on this game should have more Entombed and Bathory than Mozz but there you go. I think the perfect soundtrack to Mork Borg is actually Finnish band Thergothon and their 94 LP "Stream from the Heavens' :

More
07 Jul 2020 22:42 #311766 by Andi Lennon
Just in - Mork Borg has been nominated for a swathe of Ennie awards, which you can vote on here: www.ennie-awards.com/vote/2020/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
08 Jul 2020 14:53 #311789 by Pugnax555
There's also this bit of awesomeness that went live yesterday. I really need to look deeper into this game...

DNGNGEN: A Mörk Borg dungeon generator
dngngen.makedatanotlore.dev/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Andi Lennon

More
08 Jul 2020 17:46 #311794 by Dr. Mabuse

Andi Lennon wrote: Just in - Mork Borg has been nominated for a swathe of Ennie awards, which you can vote on here: www.ennie-awards.com/vote/2020/

Voted!

I'm super excited to run a session this weekend with my non-gaming partner, my buddy and his 15 year old kid and a FB friend. I'll post on the session after.

More
08 Jul 2020 21:37 #311800 by Andi Lennon

Pugnax555 wrote: There's also this bit of awesomeness that went live yesterday. I really need to look deeper into this game...

DNGNGEN: A Mörk Borg dungeon generator
dngngen.makedatanotlore.dev/

Yeah the support for this one has been insane, right out of the gates. There's also this online character generator:

scvmbirther.makedatanotlore.dev/

However, i reckon creating a character is a big part of the fun but this would be great for introducing new party members on the fly after an untimely demise,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pugnax555

More
08 Jul 2020 21:39 #311801 by Andi Lennon

Dr. Mabuse wrote:

Andi Lennon wrote: Just in - Mork Borg has been nominated for a swathe of Ennie awards, which you can vote on here: www.ennie-awards.com/vote/2020/

Voted!

I'm super excited to run a session this weekend with my non-gaming partner, my buddy and his 15 year old kid and a FB friend. I'll post on the session after.

Awesome, let me know how you go. If you're after a suitably grim one-shot then the one-page dungeon 'Bloat' is awesome and creepy as hell. Really easy to run too- especially if you have a flair for gilding the details. Enjoy!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.439 seconds