October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Joan of Errata & the Siege of Setup - A Time of Legends Review

More
10 Jun 2020 01:00 #311022 by Andi Lennon
Round One-...

The French were rallying and the English were restless. A frisson of anticipation filled the air as the inevitable clash drew nearer. Who would triumph? Would the pages of history be re-written? And what exactly did this card do? All would be revealed.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2020 09:55 #311023 by n815e
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi Lennon

More
10 Jun 2020 10:18 #311025 by hotseatgames
I had almost regretted not backing this just so I could get the minis... but after all of the fulfillment issues that it had, I was really glad I passed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e, Andi Lennon

More
10 Jun 2020 12:25 #311028 by evilgit
Yeah, I haven't actually played mine yet. Being a 15mm fantasy guy already, I'm happy with the minis and terrain. Once the 1.5. rules come out, I'll try it.
In the meantime I've used the figures and terrain for rpgs, mini war-games and my custom Battlelore set up.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, Andi Lennon

More
10 Jun 2020 14:01 #311031 by Sagrilarus
Excellent writing sir.

There are games being produced today that I simply cannot purchase, because I live in a small house.

More
10 Jun 2020 22:20 - 10 Jun 2020 22:26 #311041 by Andi Lennon

evilgit wrote: Yeah, I haven't actually played mine yet. Being a 15mm fantasy guy already, I'm happy with the minis and terrain.

Yeah if you're just in it for the minis and can work with the small scale then this is probably still a good get. It's advertised as a game though hahaha.

Fantastic paint-jobs by the way. The sheer scale of it has daunted me out of daubing mine thus far.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2020 22:26 by Andi Lennon.

More
10 Jun 2020 22:22 #311042 by Andi Lennon

hotseatgames wrote: I had almost regretted not backing this just so I could get the minis... but after all of the fulfillment issues that it had, I was really glad I passed.

It looks like 1.5 backers are in for quite the wait yeah. I actually got this at-cost from a 1.0 backer NIS. It was during a particularly enthused period of frenzied acquisition and possibly not the most well-reasoned purchase I've made. Perhaps it will yet fulfill it's promise though, Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

More
10 Jun 2020 22:24 #311043 by Andi Lennon

Sagrilarus wrote: Excellent writing sir.

There are games being produced today that I simply cannot purchase, because I live in a small house.

Thanks again man. Yeah when space is at a premium this kind of indulgent opulence is definitely surplus-to-requirements. However, if you empty out the boxes they could probably be used to construct another wing to your humble abode.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
10 Jun 2020 22:41 - 10 Jun 2020 23:07 #311044 by Sagrilarus
It's an era (and location) of history that I have a devoted interest in but when I took a look I quickly concluded that it was going to be a Monster. I'm not a collector by any stretch of the imagination and I don't care about minis either. So this packaging, regardless of the gameplay was a showstopper. Its campaign's success meant stretch goals and that compounded the problem.

Had they done this in cardboard they could have had pre-printed maps for each scenario and setup would have been much easier. But it would never sell. What will sell and what is best for usability don't coincide much anymore, because a big part of the hobby is collecting. I'm OK with that, didn't used to be.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2020 23:07 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Andi Lennon

More
11 Jun 2020 01:49 #311048 by Michael Barnes
This may be the best portrayal of everything wrong about these monster KS I’ve read. It was painful to read through, I got stressed out!

Between the big bucks for all this shit, sorting all this shit, storing all this shit, setting up all this shut, putting away all this shit, figuring out the rules for all this shit, deal with FAQs and erratas to make all this shit playable...at what do you just say fuck it and move on? There is NOTHING fun about all of the above.

I’ve drawn my line- I’m no longer interested in games like this. I thought I wanted this because I like the period and I like Joan of Arc anything...almost pledged. Thank god I didn’t. I think I would burn this in a fire.

My kids and I played Citadels three times tonight. Up and running in minutes, 30 minute games, put away in two minutes and stored in a drawer with 6-7 other card games. Done and fun. None of the stress that these kinds of hobby games create.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Andi Lennon

More
11 Jun 2020 08:09 #311051 by Andi Lennon

Michael Barnes wrote: This may be the best portrayal of everything wrong about these monster KS I’ve read.
I’ve drawn my line- I’m no longer interested in games like this.

Yeah it's kind of 'review as cautionary tale' although apparently I've still not learned my lesson as I have numerous big box kickstarters I rashly eye-stalked over during this period in various stages of their meandering route to my doorstep, although none of quite this magnitude. What's really maddening about this one is it could have been great. I'm also a big fan of the theme and the core system is solid fun. If it were a third of the size and they actually bothered to play test the fucking scenarios it'd probably be on my floor regularly.

We'll see what Hel brings and hope it's only a name.

More
11 Jun 2020 08:19 #311052 by Andi Lennon

Sagrilarus wrote: Had they done this in cardboard they could have had pre-printed maps for each scenario and setup would have been much easier. But it would never sell.

Yeah, in my recent experience, a game like 'Sea Evil' which comes in the form of a MAGAZINE (!) has provided way more enjoyment than these big box affairs. Perhaps I've just been unlucky or foolhardy in my choices though, as with both this and the famously crap Dark Souls, it seems like the amount of fun on offer is inversely proportionate to the size of the product. Just this evening I placed an order for Undaunted: Normandy (despite the meh theme) in the hope that its minimal outlay in both cash money and time investment will remedy some of the ennui. Having said that though, when a game of scale and ambition actually works, it can really work. Kingdom Death Colon Monster, although hugely polarising is a 10/10 game for me and I can't imagine it being half of what it is if it was, well, half of what it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
12 Jun 2020 12:31 - 12 Jun 2020 12:34 #311093 by Sagrilarus

Andi Lennon wrote: Kingdom Death Colon Monster

That sure puts a new spin on it. I'm a bit uncomfortable in my chair now.

In 2002 games were labeled "elegant" and "refined" precisely because they were minimalist, and it was deemed the ultimate game publishing goal. Now it's about revenue and bigger is better, even bigger is even better. Another situation where "crowd sourcing" has proven that the crowd might just, on occasion, be stupid.

I appreciate that there are a lot of you out there with a 4500 square foot house and a $4,000 gaming table that can leave this kind of game set up ready to play for weeks at a time. But that's just not a part of my reality and never will be, in spite of having four children that all consider themselves boardgamers. Had this game fit in a tall GMT box I'd have likely taken a bite.

In spite of your light-handed approach your article is a pretty solid condemnation of this particular delivery.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2020 12:34 by Sagrilarus.

More
12 Jun 2020 13:32 #311097 by Michael Barnes
I’m actually kinnnnnnnd of close to never buying or acquiring a game in box larger than the standard square or bookshelf box again. I’m not doing the gigantic boxes and their gigantic boxes of expansions again.

More
12 Jun 2020 15:42 #311105 by ChristopherMD

Michael Barnes wrote: I’m actually kinnnnnnnd of close to never buying or acquiring a game in box larger than the standard square or bookshelf box again. I’m not doing the gigantic boxes and their gigantic boxes of expansions again.

I'm already there as I realized that all of my favorite games are regular boxes without hundreds of pieces and also I always, always end up wanting to sell the gigantic ones within a year. Usually after the toy factor wears off or I discover they're garbage people hyped without playing or I just find them too much of a chore to setup and play.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds